Why do we even have WRs? | The Boneyard

Why do we even have WRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No a single pass thrown to a WR. Forget completions. There were no targets in 30 minutes of football. Talk about one dimensional. No wonder 3 of our first 5 runs were tackled behind the LOS.

Well, there is a second half but this is playing with one arm tied behind your back.

Reaction Score
No a single pass thrown to a WR. Forget completions. There were no targets in 30 minutes of football. Talk about one dimensional. No wonder 3 of our first 5 runs were tackled behind the LOS.

Well, there is a second half but this is playing with one arm tied behind your back.
Maybe that's why the defense gives such large cushions. They never see WR in practice.

Reaction Score
Give them a break they only had three weeks of practice.

Out of all bowl teams this must be the most inept offense by a mile.

Reaction Score
The same old story. We approach games as if we have a top 1/3 offensive line and overall talent. In reality we are in the bottom half of both and worse on the OL. The result of playing towards the talent you wish you had (or used to have at ND) versus trying to use a little imagination and putting a guy like Thomas in a position to contribute is exactly what we see. A game plan only a defensive coordinator could love.

Reaction Score
The same old story. We approach games as if we have a top 1/3 offensive line and overall talent. In reality we are in the bottom half of both and worse on the OL. The result of playing towards the talent you wish you had (or used to have at ND) versus trying to use a little imagination and putting a guy like Thomas in a position to contribute is exactly what we see. A game plan only a defensive coordinator could love.
Unfortunately we are back to playing not to lose. Against Houston we played to win. Against Temple we played not to lose and we did. Unfortunately we are again just playing just to not lose.

Reaction Score
I've followed your program for a number of years, as I know the family of one of your players, and I agree that the offense lacks the imagination that might level the playing field a bit against stronger opponents. Thomas is an excellent wide out, and both Beals and Mayala have shown definite potential. Work the ball around to some of these kids early on, and both your running game and underneath passing game to the backs and tight ends would loosen up.

Reaction Score
I've followed your program for a number of years, as I know the family of one of your players, and I agree that the offense lacks the imagination that might level the playing field a bit against stronger opponents. Thomas is an excellent wide out, and both Beals and Mayala have shown definite potential. Work the ball around to some of these kids early on, and both your running game and underneath passing game to the backs and tight ends would loosen up.

I think Diaco was waiting for the second half to use the element of surprise.

Reaction Score
Today was an absolute coaching schit show. There is not a single excuse for not getting the ball into WR hands. None whatsoever.

Reaction Score
You need to be able to go up-tempo to score with mid-level talent generally and we can't do that. If you practice the slow grind all week you're not going to score much to begin with. Then having to transition to a 2-minute offense late is just painful to watch. I'm not going to try to get in anyone's head about why they think this will suddenly work but will leave it at this. Year three needs to see changes on offense and real steps forward in coaching and blocking. More of this is just watching your program die a slow death.

Reaction Score
Jimdish255 said:
You need to be able to go up-tempo to score with mid-level talent generally and we can't do that. If you practice the slow grind all week you're not going to score much to begin with. Then having to transition to a 2-minute offense late is just painful to watch. I'm not going to try to get in anyone's head about why they think this will suddenly work but will leave it at this. Year three needs to see changes on offense and real steps forward in coaching and blocking. More of this is just watching your program die a slow death.

We already died. We're trying to resuscitate ourselves now.

Reaction Score
because we have to have 11 offensive players on the field?.

Its a new wrinkle ,,,,,,,, Terrorism. Tries to trick the opposition in thinking we might have a plan to use them/,.

Reaction Score
Funny. I watched this game and I think Sherrifki had plenty of time in most cases to throw. Pass blocking far better than run blocking. Run blocking sucked. He kept plays alive with moving his feet. He wasn't getting rid of the ball.

Could it be receivers were covered. Receivers running poor routes to get open?

duck no. Can't be so. Screw the film. Boneyard says we don't use WR's in play calls

Reaction Score
Possibly, and reportedly Marshall had a pretty good D, but that nor nothing much else will prevent some heads from exploding.

Reaction Score
Possibly, and reportedly Marshall had a pretty good D, but that nor nothing much else will prevent some heads from exploding.

Marshall, Western Ky and Toledo all good teams. Cincy is just Cincy in the post-season.

Reaction Score
Funny. I watched this game and I think Sherrifki had plenty of time in most cases to throw. Pass blocking far better than run blocking. Run blocking sucked. He kept plays alive with moving his feet. He wasn't getting rid of the ball.

duck no. Can't be so. Screw the film. Boneyard says we don't use WR's in play calls
Read the post game quotes. Diaco knows the game plan was shitte

Reaction Score

Agree and every time he tucked it in and ran immediately (and that's a lot) or after 2 step drops how would we have known how the OLine was going to block? He had Bloom on a little out for a 1st down once and elected to gamble long to Hashemi with a bullet after he proved he couldn't catch a rainbow already. His decisions are part of the issue, the play calling part of it for sure (bigger) and the Oline is too, but not half as bad as many would like to think.

Funny Shireffs is ok and he can move and make yardage with his feet. But if your scoring 17 a game, it's not effective enough. I still think he could be better than he is but he needs to be more accurate and more patient. And they need to help him with better play calling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
17 pass plays
33 rush plays

8 total possessions.

25 minutes and change possession

Sheriffs carried the ball 19 times.

All this crap about the WR's is nonsense. He had time to look downfield at times, and didn't throw. When he did, he had a couple drops he under threw a sure a TD by a couple inches that a receiver made a bad attempt at, and a DB made a great leap at. He threw an INT, he had an INT dropped.

Without sheriffs, there is no UCONN offense in 2015.

All this crap about WR's.

Idiotic.

It was a good building season. It was a bad finish, players should want to get better, because they all need to.

Reaction Score

I think these QBs are so surprised when they do get decent protection that they forget they still have a WR to throw to; hence the late throws.

Reaction Score
Both those WR completions were on the final desperation drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom