Why Do They Celebrate Banner Just At Gampel? | The Boneyard

Why Do They Celebrate Banner Just At Gampel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I understand they are Raising it for the first game Friday vs Columbia, but isn't it a Missed opportunity with fans at the XL? It makes no sense to show up for the next XL game vs Maine, and just see it hanging there. What is the school thinking? We do have (2) home courts. Yet, I haven't heard anything about Celebrating the accomplishment with a Banner raising downtown. Why?

Reaction Score
because no matter what people thimk, gampel is their true home floor and games at the civic center, for the most part, hav a terrible atmosphere... we should only play HUGE OOC games there for capacity sake. exhibitions there are just ridiculous...

Reaction Score
I dont know it just seems to me if they do it twice it would be kind of awkward. Gampel is the real home arena and its on campus so i think they should have the ceremony there. I dont want to bash the XL because ive been there for a lot of the big games and it gets pretty loud. But it still does not compare to the atmosphere at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Most fans can only cheer for a championship a certain number of times. And if I'm right, there's been a lot of championship references recently.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
would people even stand up to celebrate a championship banner at the Xl Center? The only time i can think of where the XL center was rocking was against Pitt in 09' when it was 1vs2 or whatever, maybe also the UNC Uconn game in 05'

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I didn't want to start a Bash the XL crowd thread. You cannot celebrate the Accomplishment enough in my opinion. The players deserve another round of applause IMO. Young fans in the crowd deserve a special moment with their parents. It makes No sense to have a custodian, hang it all by his lonesome, on a Mon night. Then the fans walk in for the Maine game, and say...."oh look, the Banners up".

I've been to Numerous games at both Venues, over the last 25 years. There's something Special about the Campus energy, that cannot be duplicated downtown. BUT, it's BS, if you think games vs Cuse, Nova, ND, Gtown, Tenn, Ville, Pitt, WVU have not been loud at the XL over the past decade.

Reaction Score
would people even stand up to celebrate a championship banner at the Xl Center? The only time i can think of where the XL center was rocking was against Pitt in 09' when it was 1vs2 or whatever, maybe also the UNC Uconn game in 05'
Youre right and thats also if the people are even there on time for it. It seems like the cool thing to do at the XL is arrive late. Those two games were probably the best in recent memory there. Other games that i think were rocking were the ND game in 04, it was a payback game. Indiana in 2005? I remember Uconn had to come back to win that one

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I didn't want to start a Bash the XL crowd thread. You cannot celebrate the Accomplishment enough in my opinion. The players deserve another round of applause IMO. Young fans in the crowd deserve a special moment with their parents. It makes No sense to have a custodian, hang it all by his lonesome, on a Mon night. Then the fans walk in for the Maine game, and say...."oh look, the Banners up".

I've been to Numerous games at both Venues, over the last 25 years. There's something Special about the Campus energy, that cannot be duplicated downtown. BUT, it's BS, if you think games vs Cuse, Nova, ND, Gtown, Tenn, Ville, Pitt, WVU have not been loud at the XL over the past decade.
cuse this last year was not as loud as cuse at gampel in 09... they have been called champions and congratulated all season... home opener is the best at gampel

Reaction Score
XL center gets loud for big games, but gampel is way better in my opinion, chalk it up to acoustics or make up of the crowd

Reaction Score
".

Exactly. I don't understand all the beef about the XL Center. I am a season ticket holder at both XL and Gample. There is no question that Gample is loud and a great venue, but to say XL was only rocking against PITT in 09 is crazy. Take just last year, Cuse, Georgetown, and Tenn, game were electric there. Or what about the West Virginia game in 2010. XL can be just almost as loud at Gample, if the opponent is a quality team. Also, lets not forget they sell beers at games at XL, which is awesome.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
also let's not pretend that Gampel is awesome for all games, unless its a big game in Storrs, the games can be just as morbid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom