Why do certain fans consistently perpetuate negativity? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why do certain fans consistently perpetuate negativity?

Reaction Score
I think the stuff that sends me over the edge is when I hear people calling for shuttering the football program. It’s such a stupid thought in my opinion. But I hear it from some of my own colleagues in life and when I see it here it drives me crazy. We need to get better but I will never understand the “Let’s just quit because it’s hard” mentality.

Reaction Score
Winning cures everything. Or at least it keeps the Chicken Littles quiet until the next game/season/QB/coach/AD.

Reaction Score
Negativity is not unique to this board or UConn Fans in general. It is a reality for all schools. My team has won 11 games 3 of the last 4 seasons along with two NY6 Bowl wins. On my home board we have a number of posters who rip the HC/AC, AD, players, and recruits any chance they get.

Our in game threads regularly go 100+ pages and require a hazmat suit to wade through. That’s for a win... Lose a game? :eek: You’ll have 10 different jag offs starting threads calling for “insert player name here” to be benched and for every coach to be fired. What a time to be alive...

Reaction Score
I think the stuff that sends me over the edge is when I hear people calling for shuttering the football program. It’s such a stupid thought in my opinion. But I hear it from some of my own colleagues in life and when I see it here it drives me crazy. We need to get better but I will never understand the “Let’s just quit because it’s hard” mentality.

Calls to shutter the program are dumb.

Mindless support for Edsall is a big problem. It’s insane to expect better results. Hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
Mindless support for Edsall is a big problem. It’s insane to expect better results.
It's not mindless support. Edsall has an eye for under the radar talent. Those prior year "Diaco players" who were encouraged to test the portal, and others who did so unilaterally looking for more playing time, have now been purged from the program--almost every one of them moving down to the FCS level, thus proving Edsall's point. The new recruits seem to bear a stronger resemblance to the type of players Edsall has recruited in the past. The proof will have to wait till fall but I submit it's not insane to expect better results. It's actually the more rational point of view.

Reaction Score
It's not mindless support. Edsall has an eye for under the radar talent. Those prior year "Diaco players" who were encouraged to test the portal, and others who did so unilaterally looking for more playing time, have now been purged from the program--almost every one of them moving down to the FCS level, thus proving Edsall's point. The new recruits seem to bear a stronger resemblance to the type of players Edsall has recruited in the past. The proof will have to wait till fall but I submit it's not insane to expect better results. It's actually the more rational point of view.

This is a great post from 2008. Is this a new Boneyard feature?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I truly mean no disrespect- but given how close you are to people with the program, your judgements are not rational. Every positive prediction the last 10 years has fallen flat. You are high on our prospects year in and year out, and I have no problem with your choice to be that way... the facts just haven’t born that out. I hope you are eventually right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I truly mean no disrespect- but given how close you are to people with the program, your judgements are not rational. Every positive prediction the last 10 years has fallen flat. You are high on our prospects year in and year out, and I have no problem with your choice to be that way... the facts just haven’t born that out. I hope you are eventually right.

remember that time Nostical predicted Randy would win the ACC in year 2 at Maryland? I ‘member.

C

Chief00

I am a frequent reader of these boards and it amazes me no matter what the topic is there are always posters who take such a negative position several months after the season is over. I come here in the off-season because I am excited about the coming year and want to look forward. Reading the OSU thread, several people proclaiming football is dead was the latest example (of many) that prompted me to post this. So.....

Do their lives suck so much they adhere to the misery likes company theme? Do they want to say somewhere down the line that they “told you so”?Are they trying to anger and incite the true fans by continually being negative? These must be the same people who only root for one Uconn sport (and wish ill will on others), which has been discussed here and for the life of me I can’t understand.

Once the season starts we can complain if the product continues to be bad. The evidence will be on the field and it is fair game. I certainly have been critical during the season.

At this point, I am choosing to believe we are getting better, perhaps we catch lightning in a bottle with a QB and surprise some this fall. I enjoy the experience at home games and will enjoy going to some great away venues as well. Most of all I will support the kids and coaches who undoubtedly are working their tails off to represent our University. I will continue trying to educate everyone I come in contact with of the possibilities for a successful football future.
While I think we need a coaching change, these people project personal issues in their life on this board.

Reaction Score

I agree, the talent level is much, much better now and saying that is not blaming the players it's blaming the previous head coach who proved for the most part to be a terrible talent evaluator.

The program is on the upswing, it didn't show up in the record last year because we had a drop off in QB play but every other position group improved. If we had just average QB play last year we could have easily won 5 or possibly 6 games. I'm not blaming Jack Zergiotis or Steven Krajewski either, they both have talent and played like the freshman they were. There is plenty of reason for optimism next year but success will ultimately depend on QB play, someone needs to step up.

Reaction Score
Your judgements are not rational. Every positive prediction the last 10 years has fallen flat. I hope you are eventually right.
Why do judgments regarding sports need to be rational? (Isn't "fan" a derivative of fanatic?) When it comes to UConn Football, especially during what's been an admittedly dismal decade, I will always key on the positive--and the possible--even when a more sobering reality check might be called for. Since I attend virtually every home and away game, I want to do so with enthusiasm; always thinking the next prospect has potential and the next play will succeed. Whether you term that self-deception or pollyanna, it's what gets me through the season. The way I see it, it's a no harm no foul approach. You can treat my opinions as worthy of consideration or simply brush them aside. Either is fine with me.

As for this coming year, I do indeed think we have a better roster and a more cohesive spirit. Judge me later when results confirm or contradict that view.
And finally, as for your hoping I'm "eventually right", let me refer you to the "stopped clock theory"--which I also enthusiastically embrace. :)

Reaction Score
Very excited for this upcoming season. Cannot say the same for the past 2-3 seasons. Will be attending most if not all the games and will be excited to get a hand full of wins this year. I just like the whole strategy of the scheduling this year, get some P5 games for the recruiting aspect but then get the competitive games that could result in wins. What this team needs for a rebound

Reaction Score
I am a frequent reader of these boards and it amazes me no matter what the topic is there are always posters who take such a negative position several months after the season is over. I come here in the off-season because I am excited about the coming year and want to look forward. Reading the OSU thread, several people proclaiming football is dead was the latest example (of many) that prompted me to post this. So.....

Do their lives suck so much they adhere to the misery likes company theme? Do they want to say somewhere down the line that they “told you so”?Are they trying to anger and incite the true fans by continually being negative? These must be the same people who only root for one Uconn sport (and wish ill will on others), which has been discussed here and for the life of me I can’t understand.

Once the season starts we can complain if the product continues to be bad. The evidence will be on the field and it is fair game. I certainly have been critical during the season.

At this point, I am choosing to believe we are getting better, perhaps we catch lightning in a bottle with a QB and surprise some this fall. I enjoy the experience at home games and will enjoy going to some great away venues as well. Most of all I will support the kids and coaches who undoubtedly are working their tails off to represent our University. I will continue trying to educate everyone I come in contact with of the possibilities for a successful football future.

I believe it's a law to be negative! I saw it back in the early 90s with the Whalers and when UConn talked about upgrading football. When the Whalers were winning, I heard comments about the streak won't last and when UConn thought about upgrading Football, people said we can't win...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Why do some posters insist on a message board that only allows positive posts after 10+ years of unmitigated disaster? That’s just refusing to deal in reality.

The root cause is the losing, not pointing out that every positive prediction here has been wildly, wildly wrong.

If you are still supporting the program, still enjoy going to games... good for you!

There is more than enough negativity here, but if that's the only thing a poster offers, they're gone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom