Why didn't UConn recruit Xavier's Desmond Claude? | The Boneyard

Why didn't UConn recruit Xavier's Desmond Claude?

Reaction Score
Not me asking. Dave Borges asked Hurley. He got an answer. He didn't get, "Don't shake your ----ing head at me ." Lol

"You see his talent, you see his physicality, that big wing guard," Hurley recalled.

I'd post the alternate access but Webpage archive doesn't work for me on this computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Interesting after seeing Floyd at PC. Do you think UConn would have developed Floyd better?

He’s developed pretty much not at all, so by default, I think they would have. His stats this year are rough (14% from 3!). Corey listened to the wrong people. He’s still only a sophomore, so there’s time to figure it out, if not at PC then maybe as a grad transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not me asking. Dave Borges asked Hurley. He got an answer. He didn't get, "Don't shake your ----ing head at me ." Lol

"You see his talent, you see his physicality, that big wing guard," Hurley recalled.

But, the Huskies had 6-4 guard Corey Floyd Jr. redshirting at the time, and had big plans for Floyd as a wing in the coming years. So Claude didn't get much of a look. Or "not really at all," according to Claude.

"In recruiting and building a culture, we don't mislead recruits or recruit the same types of players in terms of skillset," the sixth-year UConn coach explained. "We looked at Corey, at the time, as that type of player that we already committed to in the program. We believed in him."

"Obviously, things don't always work out," Hurley added. "Corey's not with us and Dez is playing well at Xavier. He hurt us a lot last year when we played them, he played really well. He's a tremendous player with a great future."

"None of us get them all right," Hurley shrugged. "We had the right intentions."

Interesting after seeing Floyd at PC. Do you think UConn would have developed Floyd better?

I'd post the alternate access but Webpage archive doesn't work for me on this computer.
I'm sure we would have developed Floyd a little better, but I just don't think he's very good so I'm sure we'd have wanted him to transfer by now anyway.

With Claude I think the timing just didn't work out even if Hurley did realize Floyd wasn't UConn caliber (and by all accounts he wanted him to stay, so I don't think that's the case here). He committed 1/20/22 which was halfway through his redshirt year. And would have needed to build the relationship before that, so likely would have needed to make that decision before Floyd ever got to campus which is tough

Reaction Score
X has to be pretty happy with how Claude has been playing, but he has so much more opportunity there than he'd ever have had here. Chances are he'd have been coming off the bench here, and he's the #1 option there. He's averaging 2 more shots a game this year than anyone on our team. Credit to him for sure, he's really stepped up to make up for some of the scoring they're missing from losing Freemantle and Hunter.

Reaction Score
Insert Ryan Gomes video here
That analogy is in the article.

The question could have been posed to UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley something like this: "Dan, recruiting is hardly an exact science, but what does Claude do that just blows you away now that maybe no one saw ..."

Sound famililar? Substitute the "Dan" with "Jim" and the "Claude" with "Gomes," and that's the exact question late New Haven Register columnist Dave Solomon asked Jim Calhoun 20 years ago, pondering how UConn had missed out on recruiting Waterbury's Ryan Gomes. Calhoun famously responded with an expletive-laden rant that remains viral to this day.

Would Hurley react similarly when broached on the subject of New Haven's Desmond Claude, who wasn't heavily recruited by the Huskies and is now one of the Big East's leading scorers as a 6-foot-6 sophomore guard at Xavier?

Nope, not Hurley's style. As wild and animated as he can be on the sidelines, Hurley rarely, if ever, gets that worked up in press conferences.

Reaction Score

But, the Huskies had 6-4 guard Corey Floyd Jr. redshirting at the time, and had big plans for Floyd as a wing in the coming years. So Claude didn't get much of a look. Or "not really at all," according to Claude.

"In recruiting and building a culture, we don't mislead recruits or recruit the same types of players in terms of skillset," the sixth-year UConn coach explained. "We looked at Corey, at the time, as that type of player that we already committed to in the program. We believed in him."

"Obviously, things don't always work out," Hurley added. "Corey's not with us and Dez is playing well at Xavier. He hurt us a lot last year when we played them, he played really well. He's a tremendous player with a great future."

"None of us get them all right," Hurley shrugged. "We had the right intentions."

Silly question from Borges and he should know better. The list of kids throughout the years that couldve came here but didnt because we didnt pursue or any one of a thousand reasons that went on to success is a long list. It happens. What also happens far more is we miss on a guy everyone is hard on and we end up settling for another guy and it works out great. I remember this board a few years ago going on and on about Omuriyie and we missed out and ended up settling for a project big man. That guy we settled for was Adama Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Silly question from Borges and he should know better. The list of kids throughout the years that couldve came here but didnt because we didnt pursue or any one of a thousand reasons that went on to success is a long list. It happens. What also happens far more is we miss on a guy everyone is hard on and we end up settling for another guy and it works out great. I remember this board a few years ago going on and on about Omuriyie and we missed out and ended up settling for a project big man. That guy we settled for was Adama Sanogo.
Sanago was not a project, he was a top 40 recruit and reclassified is my recollection. Was a stud from the beginning

Reaction Score
Definitely not as fun as the last time that question got asked, but a good answer lol

You can tell when Hurley is holding his tongue in interviews. He typically makes passive aggressive comments or jabs. Didn’t see that here, so the respect is real

And of course no regrets. The 2022 offseason led to a national championship for us, and now Claude has a huge role where he’s performing well at X

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That analogy is in the article.

The question could have been posed to UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley something like this: "Dan, recruiting is hardly an exact science, but what does Claude do that just blows you away now that maybe no one saw ..."

Sound famililar? Substitute the "Dan" with "Jim" and the "Claude" with "Gomes," and that's the exact question late New Haven Register columnist Dave Solomon asked Jim Calhoun 20 years ago, pondering how UConn had missed out on recruiting Waterbury's Ryan Gomes. Calhoun famously responded with an expletive-laden rant that remains viral to this day.

Would Hurley react similarly when broached on the subject of New Haven's Desmond Claude, who wasn't heavily recruited by the Huskies and is now one of the Big East's leading scorers as a 6-foot-6 sophomore guard at Xavier?

Nope, not Hurley's style. As wild and animated as he can be on the sidelines, Hurley rarely, if ever, gets that worked up in press conferences.
On the other hand, nobody asked him that immediately after a loss to X where Claude lit us up. That might generate a different response.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was worried Claude might develop into a player we shoulda been recruiting. But perimeter players who can’t shoot are generally a turn off for me. You have to be a special talent to get away with it, an athlete like Andre Jackson, or a one and done caliber player like Castle meet those expectations. Claude isn’t that special, he’ll put up volume scoring stats that trick some people into thinking he's very good.

All that being said, he’s a solid player, and I’m sure had we recruited him, we’d find a contributing role for him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Whenever I hear Hurley talk about players that buy into the outside noise, I think he is talking about Floyd.
I think Floyd was listening to too much inside noise being nailed down on the bench next to Andy.

Reaction Score

We talked about 50/40/90 shooters in another thread. Corey Floyd this year is shooting 36/15/64. Remember when people thought that Floyd, Diggins, and Akok leaving was a death-knell for Hurley as a coach?

At least Hurley has the self-awareness to acknowledge when he's made a mistake and re-stocked with better talent.

Reaction Score
Silly question from Borges and he should know better. The list of kids throughout the years that couldve came here but didnt because we didnt pursue or any one of a thousand reasons that went on to success is a long list. It happens.
Why? I hear what you're saying. There could be hundreds of recruits you could ask that question about. But this was a local kid who also plays on a team in our conference. Hurley apparently answered the question honestly and we learned a little about his thinking on recruiting. Isn't that we want from the local reporters?

Reaction Score
Why? I hear what you're saying. There could be hundreds of recruits you could ask that question about. But this was a local kid who also plays on a team in our conference. Hurley apparently answered the question honestly and we learned a little about his thinking on recruiting. Isn't that we want from the local reporters?
Just saying, this type of question didnt go well with JC lol!

Reaction Score
Sanago was not a project, he was a top 40 recruit and reclassified is my recollection. Was a stud from the beginning
Not at all what i remember. I could be wrong but do remember the expectations of him being much lower than Omeryrurie.

Reaction Score
Don't look now folks but Claude is kicking ass in Creighton. He has 18 points in the first half and he is working the pick and roll masterfully and getting downhill with ease.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom