Why did Pat Summitt stop playing UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Jan 20, 2021 -
The Tennessee-UConn series ended after the 2007 season when Summitt called it off. Summitt never went public about why she ended the series, but Auriemma said at the time that Summitt had accused the Huskies of a recruiting violation that most assumed involved All-American Maya Moore.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geez, really? Why drag this ancient history up?
This is a dead period news-wise in WCBB. No new UConn WBB news. I know not everyone is interested in this 2-year-old article, but there are probably some folks that may not know the real “why”.

I’m interested to hear some of the thoughts of others, some of who are glad the series with Tennessee was rekindled, some not. I understand that no post or comment here will appeal to everyone, but I rolled this out there anyway and took my chances.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but anyone that has no interest in this post can simply bypass it, or click the “ignore” button, and never see this thread again. I decided not to share any personal thoughts about this incident. 100% cut and paste.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a dead period news-wise in WCBB. No new UConn WBB news. I know not everyone is interested in this 2-year-old article, but there are probably some folks that may not know the real “why”.

I’m interested to hear some of the thoughts of others, some of who are glad the series with Tennessee was rekindled, some not. I understand that no post or comment here will appeal to everyone, but I rolled this out there anyway and took my chances.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but anyone that has no interest in this post can simply bypass it, or click the “ignore” button, and never see this thread again. I decided not to share any personal thoughts about this incident. 100% cut and paste.

She was already sick

Reaction Score

Jan 20, 2021 -
The Tennessee-UConn series ended after the 2007 season when Summitt called it off. Summitt never went public about why she ended the series, but Auriemma said at the time that Summitt had accused the Huskies of a recruiting violation that most assumed involved All-American Maya Moore.

This is a subject with out an answer that satisfies anyone. A subject better left buried. Some have very bad memories of those days. Stop while you can, this won't have a good end. Accept we are playing Tenn--no PAT --just a bunch of nice kids with a nice coach. And we still love to beat them. That's the story--we enjoy the battle.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is a subject with out an answer that satisfies anyone. A subject better left buried. Some have very bad memories of those days. Stop while you can, this won't have a good end. Accept we are playing Tenn--no PAT --just a bunch of nice kids with a nice coach. And we still love to beat them. That's the story--we enjoy the battle.
Thanks TCC. I did not become an ardent UConn WBB fan until a year after this happened, so I am interested in reading the thoughts and opinions of those who were at that time if they would care to share.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was already sick
This has been my response every time this subject comes up. Irritability, confusion and paranoia are all symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, the terrible affliction that took Pat Summit’s life. These and other symptoms can occur many years prior to an actual diagnosis. Pat ended the series with UConn in 2007. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2011.

I have absolutely nothing but admiration for Pat Summit and what she accomplished at TN. If anyone is at fault it is those LV fans who urged Pat to go after Geno & UConn, at a time when it is likely that she was already suffering from the early symptoms of Alzheimer’s.

I loved the UConn-TN series back in the day. I missed it when the series ended. It’s not what it was, but I am happy that Geno & KJH brought it back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This has been my response every time this subject comes up. Irritability, confusion and paranoia are all symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, the terrible affliction that took Pat Summit’s life. These and other symptoms can occur many years prior to an actual diagnosis. Pat ended the series with UConn in 2007. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2011.

I have absolutely nothing but admiration for Pat Summit and what she accomplished at TN. If anyone is at fault it is those LV fans who urged Pat to go after Geno & UConn, at a time when it is likely that she was already suffering from the early symptoms of Alzheimer’s.

I loved the UConn-TN series back in the day. I missed it when the series ended. It’s not what it was, but I am happy that Geno & KJH brought it back.
Thanks for sharing OD. :cool:

Reaction Score
Old Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth, massaged them, improved on them and put them out there. Thank you!

I had a friend who got Alzheimer’s and wasn’t diagnosed right away(most people who get it do not know they have it for a while.) He was hard to relate to until we found out his problem.

Like Carnac, I too became a fan of the woman’s team when I heard about the Maya Moore Brouhaha. I had been a fan of the men’s team in the Art Quimby days, but had lost interest after he left . I got miffed at Pat like everyone else until the diagnosis was announced. Then I became very sympathetic realizing, based on what my friend went through, what Pat was dealing with.

Kellie Harper seems to bring none of the negative vibes to the games. So I hope they will continue the series.

Reaction Score
Geez, really? Why drag this ancient history up?
anna olson stir GIF by EATS

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All fair statements, but the ridiculous 27 page complaint against UConn featuring a phantom car ride by players who were actually in Russia at the time and an allegation that DT offered someone a French fry came through the Tennessee A.D.'s office to the SEC commissioner's office and then to the NCAA. Were they similarly incapacitated? Perhaps lead in the water or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom