Why did Maryland lose the Game? | The Boneyard

Why did Maryland lose the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I'm at a lost for all the positive comments I'm reading about this years Maryland team..
reading these comments you would think freshman guard Destiny Slocum is the next best thing to slice bread, really? the best point guard for the foreseeable future? Sorry to say I'm not that impressed..

Maryland half court offense is street-ball at best... Can Destiny Shoot? of course she can, Is she confident? absolutely.. But coming down court and jacking up shots without a single pass or with just one pass is not the job of a great point guard.. And if you watched the Maryland post game interview to the end, you would understand that is actually the guidance given to her from her coach... that was so disappointing to hear..

And let's not mention about their defense, if Katie Lou made half of her opened shots in the first half I wondered what the end score would actually be.. How does a defense consistently allow Kia and Lou so many opened looks.. Not impressed at all, I really expected more from them based on last years performance in MSG..

Maryland has "This years dominant Post" Briana Jones, yet her performance some what unnoticeable, why wasn't the offense ran through her? She was basically a rebounder in the game..

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN..

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I'm waiting to hear what was Maryland's defensive strategy for UCONN?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hate to come across as flippant, but UMD lost because UConn was better. UMD did well to pull in close late in the game, but they don't have anyone like Katie Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, or perhaps even Chong or Butler in a pinch.

I was more on pins and needles before the game than during it. When UConn gets double-digit scoring from five Huskies, I see shades of teams the old Big Three led. And when I see that, I'm pretty optimistic.

I take nothing for granted, but I think UConn gets to 88 and 89 in a row against UCF and ECU. And I'll be at that USF game with great anticipation!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm at a lost for all the positive comments I'm reading about this years Maryland team..
reading these comments you would think freshman guard Destiny Slocum is the next best thing to slice bread, really? the best point guard for the foreseeable future? Sorry to say I'm not that impressed..

Maryland half court offense is street-ball at best... Can Destiny Shoot? of course she can, Is she confident? absolutely.. But coming down court and jacking up shots without a single pass or with just one pass is not the job of a great point guard.. And if you watched the Maryland post game interview to the end, you would understand that is actually the guidance given to her from her coach... that was so disappointing to hear..

And let's not mention about their defense, if Katie Lou made half of her opened shots in the first half I wondered what the end score would actually be.. How does a defense consistently allow Kia and Lou so many opened looks.. Not impressed at all, I really expected more from them based on last years performance in MSG..

Maryland has "This years dominant Post" Briana Jones, yet her performance some what unnoticeable, why wasn't the offense ran through her? She was basically a rebounder in the game..

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN.
You don't strike me as easily impressed if last night's game didn't do anything for you you seriously need to check you pulse.
The mental gymnastics that you are doing like wondering what the final score would have been if KLS hit her open 1st half shots is proof positive that you are working too hard NOT to enjoy the game.
I was Impressed by Destiny & MD because:
In addition to her 23 Points Destiny handed out 7 Assists.
Brianna Jones scored 19 points on 7 shot attempts-Pretty darn efficient.
Freshmen Charles had 4 steals, 6 rebounds, & 18 Points
Md was down 19 and could have easily folded- MD did not fold.
MD scored 81 points against UCONN
Your critique of the MD defense is valid, but seriously the UCONN defense could have been better also, after all, MD did out rebound UCONN by 9.
#TrytoEnjoyTheGAMEMORE#

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yesterdays Game vs Maryland
UConn
Points - 87
FG% - 50.7
3Pt FG - 9 for 21 - 42.9%
Rebounds - 31
FT - 10 of 16 - 62.5%
Assists - 20
Turnovers - 10

Maryland
Points - 81
FG% - 47.1%
3Pt FG - 5 for 20 - 25%
Rebounds - 40
FT - 12 for 17 - 70.6%
Assists - 16
Turnovers - 14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year vs Maryland 2015/16 season

UConn

Points - 83
FG% - 46.9
3Pt FG - 6 for 17 - 35.3%
Rebounds - 35
FT - 17 of 22 - 77.3%
Assists - 22
Turnovers - 14

Maryland
Points - 73
FG% - 47.7%
3Pt FG - 8 for 21 - 38.1%
Rebounds - 36
FT - 3 for 8 - 37.5%
Assists - 20
Turnovers - 22

Now we can compare "stats" vs the past two games vs Maryland.

Reaction Score

If not for some silly unforced Turnovers from Kia in the first half and self inflicted foul trouble in the second half which enabled them to attack the rim off dribble without fear of being contested, This game would have been a blowout on their home court.. Maryland is no where close to closing the gap on UCONN..
Talk about ifs..........

Reaction Score
You don't strike me as easily impressed if last night's game didn't do anything for you you seriously need to check you pulse.
The mental gymnastics that you are doing like wondering what the final score would have been if KLS hit her open 1st half shots is proof positive that you are working too hard NOT to enjoy the game.
Your critique of the MD defense is valid, but seriously the UCONN defense could have been better also, after all, MD did out rebound UCONN by 9.
#TrytoEnjoyTheGAMEMORE#
I thought this was very impressive.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

They tried to get the ball to Briana, but Gabby and occasionally Napheesa did a great job denying her the ball down low. I was surprised that Gabby only had two steals, but she tipped an awful lot of balls. Jones was more successful later going to the high post.

Reaction Score
I thought Destiny is a really good passer and could have had a lot more assists if her teammates could have converted some of the open shots when she passed them the ball. I looked up her stats on the Maryland website and it is quite impressive for a freshman, both on scoring, FG%, 3pt% and assist. There is nobody on the Uconn team with more total assists so far this year than Destiny. I think she has a chance to become AA in her career at Maryland.

Reaction Score
I was certainly impressed............Slocum is clearly an emerging talent, a possible future All-American who had a career game against UConn............I believe she was averaging about 11 points a game so far this season, not sure about her assist numbers...........she would be sitting on the bench for a bit if she played for UConn with some of her turnovers but perhaps that's why she chose to go to Maryland............

Reaction Score
Don't get all the criticism raining down on Destiny Slocum. She kept me on the edge of my seat in the waning moments. Plus with her dribbling chops, and range, and Taurasi-like swagger, not to mention her name--what a name!--she could well become One to Watch. And goodness knows, we need more of those in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Geno et. al. prepares the team for them opposition's known strengths and usually puts a limit on them, enough control to win.
By its very nature this could and often does create opportunities for other players. You can't focus on everyone. In this case the beneficiary was Slocum, who made the most of it.
It is naive to project her as the next wonder guard with AA in her future.
Case in point, remember last year's ND game when Marina exploded on us, was the star of the game for ND? Funny thing, this year she scored what on us, 3 points?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno et. al. prepares the team for them opposition's known strengths and usually puts a limit on them, enough control to win.
By its very nature this could and often does create opportunities for other players. You can't focus on everyone. In this case the beneficiary was Slocum, who made the most of it.
It is naive to project her as the next wonder guard with AA in her future.
Case in point, remember last year's ND game when Marina exploded on us, was the star of the game for ND? Funny thing, this year she scored what on us, 3 points?

The word "naive" is very funny. People project all the time and by definition, some work and some do not. Perhaps premature is better.

While Mabrey may not be AA (dont remember too many people saying so since I think the sense was she was just in an unnatural zone and our 3 pt defense last tear was not great). she is still pretty good with lots of guts (see NC State game where she was the only player doing anything) and definitely maximizes her talents which are clearly less than destiny's

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
#TrytoEnjoyTheGAMEMORE#
I'm more impressed by the 7 assist because that is her primary job
the 23 pts though electrifying, hurts the team overall in my opinion
Brianna Jones is their most efficient player but they only got the ball into her 2 two times on their 4th quarter run, with the last one fouling out Collier how do you not get her the ball at that stage of the game ?
The only reason they were able to make the run was because two post defenders, gabby and Collier were in foul trouble with Collier not even on the floor, Any team would have scored on UCONN in that situation, they just attacked the rim..
So no I'm not impressed with Maryland at All Playing at home, with all the talent on their team, I expect better, Florida State did more with less...

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Talk about ifs.....
In this case I can talk about IF's..
Which team in their right mind allows Katie Lou Open shots in hope that she goes 1 for 7 or 9..
So yes though Maryland was able to make the game interesting because of UCONNS foul problems down the stretch that strategy is not a smart one at all.. Maryland needs to learn how to execute offense in half court if they want to make it past the Sweet sixteen this year... Not everyone will give her a two foot cushion to shoot.. when that shot fails then what?

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Don't get all the criticism raining down on Destiny Slocum. She kept me on the edge of my seat in the waning moments. Plus with her dribbling chops, and range, and Taurasi-like swagger, not to mention her name--what a name!--she could well become One to Watch. And goodness knows, we need more of those in women's basketball.
She's exciting to watch, but... if your goal is to win a NC.. like Chelsey mitchel and all the other exciting performers before her, chances are you will always come up short.. Learn to run an offense.. when that breaks down with 10 sec's to go then do your thing..

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
They tried to get the ball to Briana, but Gabby and occasionally Napheesa did a great job denying her the ball down low. I was surprised that Gabby only had two steals, but she tipped an awful lot of balls. Jones was more successful later going to the high post.
How many ways are they to get the ball into the post? At times they were not even looking for her, yes Gabby and Collier did a great job trying to deny her the ball, but Collier sat for quite a while and Gabby had 4 fouls as well, so that is no excuse.. she is your most efficient player get her the ball...

Reaction Score
I was was working and could not watch the 3pm game.
Reading ESPN and Boneyard, it seems to me that one big reason the Huskies won because they could keep up with the Joneses.

Reaction Score
Brianna Jones is their most efficient player but they only got the ball into her 2 two times on their 4th quarter run, with the last one fouling out Collier how do you not get her the ball at that stage of the game ?
The only reason they were able to make the run was because two post defenders, gabby and Collier were in foul trouble with Collier not even on the floor, Any team would have scored on UCONN in that situation, they just attacked the rim..
So no I'm not impressed with Maryland at All Playing at home, with all the talent on their team, I expect better, Florida State did more with less...

I think it possible that in part some of you fans overrate big slow bulky players.

First of all it isn't just one pass that gets a post player set vs another top tier team.
Therefore you need more than just the pg.
Also to consider the team she is playing against has all-american talent with great defensive team fundamentals. In other words BJones isn't competing against high school players. The other team has defensive talent too.
Fourth a big player can get tired. The combination of fighting for position at one end and having defend freak athletes at the other end along with trying to be a horse on the backboards can get tiring.
Fifth - more than likely the defense is going to sag on her. Which means many times BJones gets the ball - if you build your offense around her- she is going to get double teamed. She has never impressed me as much of a passer. She isn't going to get 4 feet position from the basket all the time. Especially as you force her more and more in a consistent manner to keep fighting hard for position while not swinging her big arms and banging her strong large body which would be susceptible for the opposition to flop causing fouls.

When UCONN did get into foul trouble MD DID score. That's why they socred 50 points in the 2nd half. And even though UCONN was in foul trouble, so was BJones too. And UCONN players can play a sagging defense without fouling. You have to remember even if they have 3/4 fouls - BJones had fouls - so in last five minutes one UCONN flop and BJones is out. In addition BJones with three fouls into the 3rd quarter she can't be playing like a monster. Big players like her can get easily ticky-tacked for foul number 4/5 considering they aren't very quick defensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Brenda, unfortunately, was the reason Maryland lost this game. She should have called a timeout much earlier in UConn's 14-0 run to start the third quarter and she should have had her players go right at both Gabby and Napheesa during the 4th quarter, rather than skirting past both to score easy layups. They both had 4 fouls all during that quarter (I know Napheesa sat for a good chunk), but not taking advantage of that and going hard at them is where Maryland lost this game. In my opinion, it was coaching at the end of the day that lost this game. Maryland played hard and is extremely talented, but if Brenda had put a stop to UConn's 3rd quarter run earlier or fouled out Gabby or fouled out Napheesa earlier than 30 seconds to go, Maryland could have won this game.

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
I think Brenda, unfortunately, was the reason Maryland lost this game. She should have called a timeout much earlier in UConn's 14-0 run to start the third quarter and she should have had her players go right at both Gabby and Napheesa during the 4th quarter, rather than skirting past both to score easy layups. They both had 4 fouls all during that quarter (I know Napheesa sat for a good chunk), but not taking advantage of that and going hard at them is where Maryland lost this game. In my opinion, it was coaching at the end of the day that lost this game. Maryland played hard and is extremely talented, but if Brenda had put a stop to UConn's 3rd quarter run earlier or fouled out Gabby or fouled out Napheesa earlier than 30 seconds to go, Maryland could have won this game.
Actually them attacking the rim with Napheesa on the bench and Gabby not challenging shots was the reason they were able to get back into the game so easily... So I will give them credit for that much.. They have players who love transition and attacking off the dribble... They just don't move the ball well on Offense, relying too much off the bounce.. I actually thought she was a better coach, I'm learning more that she is not... Only time will tell, but this team will not go far this year unless they get better at half court offense

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Once again you are dwelling on the negative.
Slocum was 5 for 10 on three point shots, the rest of the MD team was 0 for 10. Electrifying-She was. Hurting the team-She was not!

Bajan Best

Reaction Score
Yesterdays Game vs Maryland
UConn
Points - 87
FG% - 50.7
3Pt FG - 9 for 21 - 42.9%
Rebounds - 31
FT - 10 of 16 - 62.5%
Assists - 20
Turnovers - 10

Maryland
Points - 81
FG% - 47.1%
3Pt FG - 5 for 20 - 25%
Rebounds - 40
FT - 12 for 17 - 70.6%
Assists - 16
Turnovers - 14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year vs Maryland 2015/16 season

UConn

Points - 83
FG% - 46.9
3Pt FG - 6 for 17 - 35.3%
Rebounds - 35
FT - 17 of 22 - 77.3%
Assists - 22
Turnovers - 14

Maryland
Points - 73
FG% - 47.7%
3Pt FG - 8 for 21 - 38.1%

Rebounds - 36
FT - 3 for 8 - 37.5%
Assists - 20
Turnovers - 22

Now we can compare "stats" vs the past two games vs Maryland.
This is exactly what I mean by being more impressed with last year's performance, going against arguably a better/more experienced UCONN team and playing away from home at that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom