Why did Geno leave the zone in the 2nd half? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why did Geno leave the zone in the 2nd half?

Reaction Score
That's BS. We lost because we played poorly like last years game in the FF. Poor focus especially in the beginning. If we hit shots we win. If we don't turn the ball over we win. And even though we played poorly ND always seemed able to get to a loose ball or throw in a circus shot the last second. Coaching failure - baloney. That last shot in reg for Gabby was a well designed play. If that goes he's a genius.

I'd give ND much of the credit but for the second year in a row the team just didn't look psychologically prepared from the outset..............it was eerily similar to last year's debacle.........

Reaction Score
I'd give ND much of the credit but for the second year in a row the team just didn't look psychologically prepared from the outset....it was eerily similar to last year's debacle....
Yes, it was eerily similar. Bold player attacks our defense one-on-one and makes a difficult shot in the final seconds of the game. Shot came from about the same location too.

Reaction Score
That's BS. We lost because we played poorly like last years game in the FF. Poor focus especially in the beginning. If we hit shots we win. If we don't turn the ball over we win. And even though we played poorly ND always seemed able to get to a loose ball or throw in a circus shot the last second. Coaching failure - baloney. That last shot in reg for Gabby was a well designed play. If that goes he's a genius.
Obviously. One difference between last year and this year, is that last year's score was in the 60's, this year's score was near the nineties. Specifically, IMO, it was a poor performance on offense last year, a poor performance on defense, this year. ND scored 6 more than their average against a defense that is among the nations best. In the loss to Stanford, in 2014, the defense gave up 88. So in 2 of the 3 losses since 2014, UConn's defense under-performed. Interestingly, all went to OT, which demonstrates that UConn does not go down easily. Small, small, comfort.

Reaction Score
UConn got killed by ND's offensive rebounding....not sure exactly why that happened but if I were Geno I'd be looking for some real muscle up front in future recruiting classes.....
Bingo! But then they will not see the floor enough as they will not be "trusted", not playing perfect. See Batouly, Z, Meg as exhibits. The chink in Geno's armour is adaptability or situational coaching imho. But win or loose, still love my Huskies, an incredible group of young ladies who give their all day in and day out!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't believe in teething pains.....if the baby drops anything on the floor you're back in the crib!!!!
They're all in the crib now!

Reaction Score
Would love an answer to why Geno went away from what was clearly working. I mean it was like there was a switch. First quarter UConn says hey Irish we'll spot you 13. Second quarter UConn says OK now we start playing for real and was up 9 and on the verge of blowing out ND.
Makes two of us. I wish he would be asked in the presser. Would love to hear his response.

Reaction Score
I am also surprised he did not use Walker. Test the waters a bit, even for a couple of plays. I mean, nobody expected Young to go off. Maybe Walker goes off because ND did not anticipate her or a bad match up is exposed? Walker has also shown to be a good rebound'er lately. Worth a try. In general, either stay with what works (i.e. start AZ in the second half) or if you want to try your luck, try your luck.
Walker, Walker, Walker!!!!
Enough Walker already! She was what she was this year and that's that. She couldn't solidify being handed the important #7 slot, although anyone and everyone knew and wanted her to!
We will see next year what she brings to the table! I think CW will start at the off guard and if she plans and works at becoming legendary that's where she will start.
Not starting AZ in 2nd half and not using the zone, allowed ND to get quickly back into the game.
It would also seem that some deeper analysis needs to go into Geno's inverted record in overtime games, as compared to championship games. It will or should tell him and the coaching staff a lot of what needs fixing! This is 2nd year in a row, he got out coached. Vic and now MM know who and what U Conn is, does and brings, and both had their teams incredibly well prepared.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great game really! ND was fearless!
GA should have played Z all second half!
Just my observation! We WILL be back!! Love you Husky Gals!

Reaction Score
Geno's biggest mistake was not starting the same lineup in the second half that finished the first half. I can already hear everybody saying so you know more than a coach with 11 championships. No, but I saw what worked and what didn't last night. The bigger lineup was much more effective.

Reaction Score
I am also surprised he did not use Walker. Test the waters a bit, even for a couple of plays. I mean, nobody expected Young to go off. Maybe Walker goes off because ND did not anticipate her or a bad match up is exposed? Walker has also shown to be a good rebound'er lately. Worth a try. In general, either stay with what works (i.e. start AZ in the second half) or if you want to try your luck, try your luck.
KLS, Gabby and Crystal all limping a bit in 4th Q and overtime. Fresh legs, even for 5+ minutes?

Reaction Score
KLS said that about her defense in post-game comments & was blaming herself. Poor girl. I'd say this was Geno's worst coaching game. He put his team more in a position to lose than win through most of the game & the team was playing scared as a result. Playing zone takes a lot of the pressure off individual players, especially with foul trouble.
KSL played exactly where she had previous games. Unfortunately, ND made outside shots. Not sure why Geno didn't step her out more quickly. Zone shut ND down, but Geno went back to man. KLS or Geno? Doesn't matter-looking at next year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have heard all kinds of reasons why we lost...

1. Foul disparity;
2. Geno not starting AZ;
3. Geno not playing Megan Walker
4. Geno abandoning the zone
5. Geno being out-coached;
6. UConn playing in a substandard conference and not being adequately prepared.

Why not be honest about what really happened:

1. UConn missed a lot of shots to start the game and got themselves in a hole. Additionally, did not shoot well from three;
2. The Irish came to play, they were fearless, and came to compete;
3. Shepard was far more effective than anyone thought she was going to be...11 rebounds; 15 points and 5 assists;
4. Ogumbowale was a beast - 27 points;
5. UConn did a good job for most of the game limiting Mabry;
6. Jackie Young was the poison that UConn chose to live with and she stepped up and had a career game...32 points, 11 rebounds (Gabby-like stats);
7. Notre Dame going into the season was loaded...conventional wisdom had them to the final four and then they got hit with the injury bug, they got lucky with the NCAA deciding to approve Shepard;
8. Westbeld was steady and she was able to get into the point get easy lay-ups and make interior passes; 8 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists;
9. Foul trouble made Katie-Lou's ability to defend moot and ineffective.
10. UConn, a team who usually averages 12 fouls per game put ND in a position where they were able to go 19 for 23 from the line while only while only getting to the line 3 times themselves
11. ND did a great job defensively on UConn
12. Ogumbowale had too much space and time to take that last shot...
13. At least on a systemic basis...through the entire year of play, the bench was unable to become relevant and provide any measure of confidence to the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's my point. If you don't want to "try your luck", then you (Geno) should have stuck with what works and that was having AZ start the 2nd half. Geno did neither.
Well, that part I can agree with. UConn needed more Z.

Reaction Score

We gave up 91 points, just sayin......

I Understand your position though.

Reaction Score
I have heard all kinds of reasons why we lost...

1. Foul disparity;
2. Geno not starting AZ;
3. Geno not playing Megan Walker
4. Geno abandoning the zone
5. Geno being out-coached;
6. UConn playing in a substandard conference and not being adequately prepared.

Why not be honest about what really happened:

1. UConn missed a lot of shots to start the game and got themselves in a hole. Additionally, did not shoot well from three;
2. The Irish came to play, they were fearless, and came to compete;
3. Shepard was far more effective than anyone thought she was going to be...11 rebounds; 15 points and 5 assists;
4. Ogumbowale was a beast - 27 points;
5. UConn did a good job for most of the game limiting Mabry;
6. Jackie Young was the poison that UConn chose to live with and she stepped up and had a career game...32 points, 11 rebounds (Gabby-like stats);
7. Notre Dame going into the season was loaded...conventional wisdom had them to the final four and then they got hit with the injury bug, they got lucky with the NCAA deciding to approve Shepard;
8. Westbeld was steady and she was able to get into the point get easy lay-ups and make interior passes; 8 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists;
9. Foul trouble made Katie-Lou's ability to defend moot and ineffective.
10. UConn, a team who usually averages 12 fouls per game put ND in a position where they were able to go 19 for 23 from the line while only while only getting to the line 3 times themselves
11. ND did a great job defensively on UConn
12. Ogumbowale had too much space and time to take that last shot...
13. At least on a systemic basis...through the entire year of play, the bench was unable to become relevant and provide any measure of confidence to the coaching staff.
You make good points, but your lists are not mutually exclusive. For instance, number 1 in the first list is basically the same as 9 and 10 on the second. And number 5 on the first list may account for several of the numbers on the second list. It's unfair to conclude anyone is being dishonest. One basket made the difference. There are many different aspects of the game and season all of which could easily in and of themselves have effected the outcome.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
You make good points, but your lists are not mutually exclusive. For instance, number 1 in the first list is basically the same as 9 and 10 on the second. And number 5 on the first list may account for several of the numbers on the second list. It's unfair to conclude anyone is being dishonest. One basket made the difference. There are many different aspects of the game and season all of which could easily in and of themselves have effected the outcome.

Didn't mean to claim that anyone was being dishonest...I think I was talking colloquially not really meaning that folks are dishonest but rather that as hard as it is we need to not point fingers at Geno or a single player...as you eloquently indicated in your post that "there are many aspects of the game and season that could easily in and of themselves have affected the outcome". I just wanted to shift the emphasis to what happened between the lines. We got outplayed by ND. They were ready to compete, they had the fire in the belly and they had the horses to get the job done. Were we ready to compete? Some would say yes...others will say that ND was more prepared. Did we have the fire in the belly? I would say at times yes. That 12 point comeback to go up 7 points; that 5 point comeback with 30 seconds to go at the end of regulation time and bringing the game to a tie in the overtime were all indications that there was fire in the belly...however, one could argue that ND had more...they wanted it more. Did we have the horses to get the job done? Sure we did...but, credit ND for keeping those horses somewhat in check. Good post Roger...always important to keep each other honest...colloquially, anyway. :)

Reaction Score
Geno's biggest mistake was not starting the same lineup in the second half that finished the first half. I can already hear everybody saying so you know more than a coach with 11 championships. No, but I saw what worked and what didn't last night. The bigger lineup was much more effective.
It's not brain surgery. It's a simple game especially when your team has the better players. Sometimes you have to be prepared to play differently vs better teams and take advantage of your best players, especially on offense in what is, of course, basically a game of offense. There are no games at this level ending with a final score of 5-2 in basketball as can certainly happen in football, baseball, hockey and soccer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom