Why can't we schedule OOC like Marquette? | The Boneyard

Why can't we schedule OOC like Marquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Here is their non-conference schedule:
@ K-State
vs. UCLA
@ Wisconsin
vs. Illinois
Charleston Classic
vs. Ole Miss
vs. Elon/West Virginia
vs. Temple/Boise State/Clemson/St. Bonaventure

They only play 4 cupcakes (New Hampshire, NIU, SIUE, Jackson State).

We can schedule like this. We just choose not to. This needs to change.

In addition to a 3-game MTE event, we should be playing in the Gavitt games and Big 12/Big East challenge every year and also playing two other high profile home and homes.
That still gives us room for four cupcakes.

Reaction Score
I’d be a little hesitant. It’d be really rough going into conference play having 5+ losses against those teams, which actually wouldn’t be too far out of the question. Good for them though, going to be some exciting games, hope they win all of them and boost our conference overall.

Reaction Score
south park beat a dead horse GIF

Reaction Score
The only real difference between Marquette's schedule and most of the BE is they have an annual game against WI. So most teams have the BE/B12 & BE/B10 challenges, plus either an annual rivalry game (MU vs WI, CU vs NB, etc) and sometimes another home and home series. UConn is missing out on BE/10 challenge this year and an annual rivalry game... but otherwise would only be off 1 game (if you count the Never Forget Tribute in place of the home and home). That'll happen year to year sometimes based on scheduling.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This year's schedule with no big OOC home game is disappointing, I concede. But most years we have 1 high profile home game and 1 high profile away game, a MTE and a neutral site game (Never Forget Classic, Jimmy V, random Syracuse game at MSG, etc.)

More than enough with a 20 game BE slate (10 on the road) to have a bullet proof resume if they take care of their business.

Reaction Score
The only real difference between Marquette's schedule and most of the BE is they have an annual game against WI. So most teams have the BE/B12 & BE/B10 challenges, plus either an annual rivalry game (MU vs WI, CU vs NB, etc) and sometimes another home and home series. UConn is missing out on BE/10 challenge this year and an annual rivalry game... but otherwise would only be off 1 game (if you count the Never Forget Tribute in place of the home and home). That'll happen year to year sometimes based on scheduling.
Exactly, the complaining has gotten really old really fast. Especially in a year where UConn was expected to be left out of both the B12 and B10 challenges. We've scheduled strong in the past and the 2022 schedule is already shaping up to be a strong OOC schedule again. Just seems weird for everyone to act like this is a recurring issue and not just a one off year with a strong away/neutral court schedule and weak home schedule

Reaction Score
Exactly, the complaining has gotten really old really fast. Especially in a year where UConn was expected to be left out of both the B12 and B10 challenges. We've scheduled strong in the past and the 2022 schedule is already shaping up to be a strong OOC schedule again. Just seems weird for everyone to act like this is a recurring issue and not just a one off year with a strong away/neutral court schedule and weak home schedule
I just look at the source of the OOC complaints. Pretty much takes care of any issues I have with it.

Reaction Score
I’m not worried it’s a one off year where the schedule was not there.

Reaction Score
bingo. but 2 more high profile games completely changes the whole complexion of the OOC. we aren't asking for much. you've identified the discrepancy, as have others, now let's address it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Marquette does that because they suck, and their only shot is to bag some big, unexpected wins and RPI points pre-season. Our schedule is unusually weak this year but it would be stupid to play too many strong teams out of conference.

Reaction Score
Having only four "cupcake' games is not the norm. That lower number is a credit with the BE moving to 20 conference games.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Ours isn't that far off. We have the Bonnies, WVU, Auburn, and MSU/Loyola Chi. And when you play in the BE, you should schedule down OOC. The regular season is a BEAST...we will be tested night in and night out.

Reaction Score
What’s on the 22 schedule that’s out already? The Nike event in Portland I think, anything else?

Reaction Score
What’s on the 22 schedule that’s out already? The Nike event in Portland I think, anything else?
That's also supposed to be the year we're in both the B10 and B12 challenges, and the rumor was the canceled Florida game from last season would happen next year (didn't happen this year because of all the road/neutral OOC games we already had)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I would rather have 4 national championships than a tough non conference schedule. Pretty sure Marquette fans would agree
They dont have to be mutually exclusive.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
we have the home game against the johnnies at MSG and the Bonnie’s at the PRU

husky nation should take over each venue
Haha true, but those “home” games don’t help the students or season ticket holders.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Marquette does that because they suck
Say that this year but once Shaka starts recruiting his players you won't be saying that again

Reaction Score
Marquette does that because they suck, and their only shot is to bag some big, unexpected wins and RPI points pre-season. Our schedule is unusually weak this year but it would be stupid to play too many strong teams out of conference.
We played good home OOC games when we were very good. We agree just looking for one or two a year. Season ticket holders who make significant seat donations deserve some entertainment value.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Season ticket holders who make significant seat donations deserve some entertainment value.
I agree. When they deign to actually attend a game. They need to up their attendance game or at least fill their seats. All those empty seats in the lower bowl of Gampel is not a good look.

Reaction Score
I agree. When they deign to actually attend a game. They need to up their attendance game or at least fill their seats. All those empty seats in the lower bowl of Gampel is not a good look.
I agree, but unless Chief is wisely given some official authority, I can only control my attendance, which has been excellent.
Two low hanging fruit from a business perspective, is better quality OOC at Gampel and more weekend games there.

Reaction Score
Wasn't he recruiting his players at Texas?
Not really. Supposedly he was pressured to recruit the highest level players (1 and done's or 2 year players) as much as possible. For a guy who based his system on culture, relationships, and building a system - it wasn't a good fit. This presumably is why the pundits and insiders believe he'll do much better at Marquette. He can still go after high level players (30 - 100 ranked players or undiscovered players at lower ratings) but has more flexibility to find the guys that fit his system best instead of just pure talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom