Why can’t Polley get open to shoot off of screens? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why can’t Polley get open to shoot off of screens?

arch

Reaction Score
We really need Bouk back in there to attract some defenders to free up Tyler. Can’t knock the kid for that. If we had some other guys stepping up offensively it would make things easier for Ty.
In the games I’ve seen, Polley is often guarded by guys who appear to be 3-4+ inches shorter than him. Doesn’t that mean he’s always open?

(Clearly I’ve not played much basketball)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Neither Polley or Brendan are ever in position to take a shot
Brendan just stands in that freaking corner and hits like 15% of the same 3 he takes over and over again. Would like to say he should drive more like when he hit that sweet reverse but at worst it’s a charge and at best it’s a travel most of the time.

Reaction Score
We so desperately need to increase our pace of play. It’s the number one problem I have with our offense. We are way to deliberate and predictable in our half court sets.

Easier to get Polley open during transition threes and on the secondary break.

We have the wings and athletes to be running all day long. When forced into half court, run the offense through Sanogo and Bouk.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Most is on Tyler for not using the screens well and tight, and just plain continuous work. But I will ask how many baseline and opposite screens we saw to get him open? How many times you see teams run baseline screens on each side o the lane to free up good shooters? Like to see a few a game for Tyler instead all we do see is perimeter screens and pick/rolls which the defense is either stepping inside the screen or they are switching to make sure he isn't getting good looks. They all saw the Marquette game it won't happen again to anyone else at least until the return of Bouk.
We don’t do nearly enough screens away from the ball. Ours are mostly ball screens/pick and roll, high screens from Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton. Those 3 aren’t threats from the perimeter which gives the D an easier time. If you want to get Polley open 3’s he should be the screener out high for the pick and pop 3, or be part of the screen action away from the ball.

Reaction Score
Its this offense, why I hate watching the college game. Everything is congested, the ball stop every 2 seconds, no plays being run, this list goes on and on. He could easily have success at the next level as just a 3 pt shooter because they will get him open.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Polley has super slow foot speed which shows on defense and why he can’t get open. Also working off screens is a talent which he has failed to master yet.
maybe he'll work on it with his free year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
Work it inside, Polley! You did drive it to the basket once after a shot fake, would love to see more of that. Don’t be afraid to mix it up with the big boys down low. Maybe Hurley can work on this in practice.

Reaction Score
Other teams have scouted the double screen for Polley and solved it.

I do agree we should post up Polley to keep the defense honest.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He was always a limited basketball player. He isn’t good at running around screens to get open, but has proven he can knock outside shots down.

You could set him the best screen in the world...he’d be so slow around it that there’d be some sort of defense on his shot.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Teams are face guarding him and holding him off of screens. We haven't adapted

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was always a limited basketball player. He isn’t good at running around screens to get open, but has proven he can knock outside shots down.

You could set him the best screen in the world...he’d be so slow around it that there’d be some sort of defense on his shot.

Nope. Pick and pop is a lazy play that works against lazy defenses or when the ball handler demands a double team. That is not "the best screen in the world".

Reaction Score
4 years later, and a bunch of youse are still making excuses for that man.
my favorite question remains 'if he couldn't handle, rebound, pass, or block shots before his unfortunate injury, why would you expect him to do those things now?'
Pretty much sums it up in a nutshell!

Reaction Score
This is our 4th season watching Polley. He has shown he can be a very good, sometimes great shooter while trailing a play, spotting up on a fast break or spotting up in the halfcourt when the defense falls asleep. When he’s on fire he can shoot off the dribble a little bit, but not often.

Uconn runs him off of screens all the time and there are very few times when he actually gets open to shoot. The defenses know he is a shooter and they play him very tight and as long as they don’t fall asleep this works to stop him. Sometimes this attention opens up offense for other guys, but it would still be preferable if he could get open to bomb threes off of screens.

I think he does a poor job changing pace when the screens are coming. He seems to be running as fast as he can. He also doesn’t square up before he catches and doesn’t seem balanced on the catch either. One of the only times this year I remember him hitting a 3 off a screen this season was a really nice play where Bouknight was a decoy and set a screen for him and totally tricked the defense. Otherwise Polley doesn’t get open, catches but isn’t balanced enough to shoot, or has to take a bad shot. Am I missing something? This seems like something he should’ve gotten better at. I know it’s not something you can practice on your own but studying how other players get open should be able to teach him a lot.

When bouk is back I expect pollley to get a lot of open looks but can rip or Ray come in and give Tyler a few pointers please!
I think getting open off the ball is a skill and talent. Also. They hedge on him because a lot of time the screener isn’t an offensive threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom