Why are people saying the cards won three quarters? | The Boneyard

Why are people saying the cards won three quarters?

Reaction Score
News accounts have the L'ville players saying they won three quarters. Folks here are saying the same. But the box score for ESPN and for UCon wbb say UConn outscored L'ville in the 2nd quarter by two points. I'm going to guess that L'ville was outscoring UConn for most of quarter two but some late scoring by the Huskies evened things up and put UConn on the "win" for that quarter. So is "close-to-even" now a considered "winning" a quarter against UConn?
Yes, I get that when you ignore the first quarter score, L'ville outscored UConn over the total next thee quarters, but it seems we should we should be focused on the fact that a good team played us essentially even over quarters 2 & 3 and outplayed UConn in the 4th, never giving up.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
You can understand it from a Louisville perspective - when you get your butt handed to you, you have to rationalize some moral victory's somehow. They were never in the game despite the fact that UConn played well below their abilities. As for here - I think that is a product of a very demanding and sometimes unreasonable fan base. The object is too win and UConn was never in danger of not doing that. You don't keep score by quarter and the Russian judge is not handing out style points.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Whoever is attempting to rewrite the game narrative, evidently didn’t listen to Jeff Walz post game presser, where he commented about such talk by stating very clearly, “That’s what losers do.”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
News accounts have the L'ville players saying they won three quarters. Folks here are saying the same. But the box score for ESPN and for UCon wbb say UConn outscored L'ville in the 2nd quarter by two points. I'm going to guess that L'ville was outscoring UConn for most of quarter two but some late scoring by the Huskies evened things up and put UConn on the "win" for that quarter. So is "close-to-even" now a considered "winning" a quarter against UConn?
Yes, I get that when you ignore the first quarter score, L'ville outscored UConn over the total next thee quarters, but it seems we should we should be focused on the fact that a good team played us essentially even over quarters 2 & 3 and outplayed UConn in the 4th, never giving up.
Perhaps people are saying that because they do not know what they are talking about, but are unhappy and feel the need to complain? :mad:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Whoever is attempting to rewrite the game narrative, evidently didn’t listen to Jeff Walz post game presser, where he commented about such talk by stating very clearly, “That’s what losers do.”
Yep. Winners smile, losers say, "Deal". Or "Bad deal", as it were.

Reaction Score
I disagree they win the 4th because the goal of the 4th is to score enough to win the game. Since UConn started with more points they didn't need to score as much. Silly to even comment but look at how many 4th quarters we "lost" because we were up by so much.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Let’s see now... first quarter, the Huskies crushed UL. Only a fool would dispute that. The UConn lead at half was an increase of two points compared to the end of the first quarter. So, quarter #2 is either a UConn win, or it’s a near-draw if you want to see it that way. But the third period ends with Louisville outscoring UConn by three. This again, is either a UL win or a near-draw. If one thinks that UL won period three, then fairness dictates that UConn won period two. UL wins period four, in a way.

So, what do we have? First, we have a UConn win. This is good. Beyond that though:

Either UConn wins two quarters and loses two,

-or-

UConn wins one, loses one and draws two.

There is NO scenario available that yields UL winning any three quarters. If I recall correctly, with about :49 to go in the third quarter, the lead was 22 points. Hard to call that a UL “win.” Even with 6:16 to go in the fourth, the lead was still 16. UL’s “win” in the fourth quarter was closer to a “half a win of a single quarter.” Three UL quarters? Sheer drivel and propaganda.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that in the last minute of each quarter, Louisville scored:

2 pts (1st Q)
2 pts (2nd Q)
5 pts (3rd Q)
5 pts (4th Q)

That’s 14 of Louisville’s 58 points—roughly 25% of their scoring. I hardly regard their final two buckets (a three-pointer with 51 seconds left, and a layup with 14 seconds left) as at all significant. We were up by 16 with about 50 seconds left in the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
image.jpg

Reaction Score
They just took the positives from the game. Thats all it is. Did you expect them to say we lost and we did nothing right?

Reaction Score
I think this narrative is created to make Louisville feel better and think they somehow stayed with U Conn!
When a team gets completely whooped in the first period and is down twenty at the half, they need to make up some narrative to give them hope. At the end of three quarters I think they were still down by was it 17 points. They leave their starters in to the very end so the final score is made to look much better than it ever was. It's often similar to how some use stats to contradict what is obvious to the eye.
The main takeaway I'd say was they were never in the game or had a real chance of winning.
U Conns takeaways are different. They will use the ending to teach them some valuable lessons. This team some of the time, needs to further their killer instinct. While it would be great news to get more from MW and the bench, that doesn't seem to be the case this year, especially against the stronger competition. The biggest issue is balancing a six person rotation with at least half the players being banged up and needing to be carefully watched and monitored. This leads to less practice time together, probably leading to less sharpness especially offensively. It also contributes to the tiredness towards the end of games and seemingly their slightly lowered conditioning.
Of course there's a elevated concern because of the unexpected loss to MS in last years semi-final as there should be. But as I've mentioned before this team has some advantages (and a few minor disadvantages) compared to last year. They have a top notch point guard; they have a big who can score in a variety of ways; they have a much improved KLS whose now a NPOY candidate as opposed to just a pretty darn good AA. They also have showed some true grit, even without spectacular play, when it has mattered. Last year as Geno warned repeatedly they were rarely seriously pushed by the competition. That left them somewhat unprepared for what MS brought. They did fight back from a horrible start and catch up late in third period but could never take control of the game. That's the one thing that concerns me, and so far I think only KLS demonstrates the capabilities of doing such. Yet she and the team seem to shy away from allowing her to do so. One of the things I love best about them is their team play and unselfishness. Yet, and this may seem like a contradiction they need someone to take control late in games when being pressured. It doesn't mean KLS has to take every shot, but she should be touching the ball almost every possession so she can create openings for her teammates and herself.
Let's truly enjoy this team, this culture without all the over negativity and also without the exaggerating players strengths and weaknesses.
Unless they have a significant injury or serious foul trouble to one of their top six, they likely will win and 12th national championship and hopefully without any heart attack moments.
Bronx23

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I think this narrative is created to make Louisville feel better and think they somehow stayed with U Conn!
When a team gets completely whooped in the first period and is down twenty at the half, they need to make up some narrative to give them hope. At the end of three quarters I think they were still down by was it 17 points. They leave their starters in to the very end so the final score is made to look much better than it ever was. It's often similar to how some use stats to contradict what is obvious to the eye.
The main takeaway I'd say was they were never in the game or had a real chance of winning.
U Conns takeaways are different. They will use the ending to teach them some valuable lessons. This team some of the time, needs to further their killer instinct. While it would be great news to get more from MW and the bench, that doesn't seem to be the case this year, especially against the stronger competition. The biggest issue is balancing a six person rotation with at least half the players being banged up and needing to be carefully watched and monitored. This leads to less practice time together, probably leading to less sharpness especially offensively. It also contributes to the tiredness towards the end of games and seemingly their slightly lowered conditioning.
Of course there's a elevated concern because of the unexpected loss to MS in last years semi-final as there should be. But as I've mentioned before this team has some advantages (and a few minor disadvantages) compared to last year. They have a top notch point guard; they have a big who can score in a variety of ways; they have a much improved KLS whose now a NPOY candidate as opposed to just a pretty darn good AA. They also have showed some true grit, even without spectacular play, when it has mattered. Last year as Geno warned repeatedly they were rarely seriously pushed by the competition. That left them somewhat unprepared for what MS brought. They did fight back from a horrible start and catch up late in third period but could never take control of the game. That's the one thing that concerns me, and so far I think only KLS demonstrates the capabilities of doing such. Yet she and the team seem to shy away from allowing her to do so. One of the things I love best about them is their team play and unselfishness. Yet, and this may seem like a contradiction they need someone to take control late in games when being pressured. It doesn't mean KLS has to take every shot, but she should be touching the ball almost every possession so she can create openings for her teammates and herself.
Let's truly enjoy this team, this culture without all the over negativity and also without the exaggerating players strengths and weaknesses.
Unless they have a significant injury or serious foul trouble to one of their top six, they likely will win and 12th national championship and hopefully without any heart attack moments.
Bronx23
The fact that teams beat us in the 4th quarter is as @Bronx23 states: many teams play their starters well into the quarter in order to finish the game on a positive note. Some coaches even relish this fact and a certain
coach in College Park seems to thrive on it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It would interesting to read the posts/comments IF UConn had won 3 quarters and lost. :eek:

Reaction Score
Jeff said, and I believe him because it's verified by the game score, that the game plan was to allow Uconn to get that 19 point first quarter lead.

Reaction Score

Uh, who cares about all of this silliness? UCONN WON THE GAME . . . PERIOD.

Reaction Score
Games are won by tabulating points at the end of the game, not for some arbitrary segment of the game. Otherwise, any team that ever scored a point in a game "won" part of that game. Heck, even Wichita State won a one minute and 42 second segment of the 4th quarter 2-0.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Jeff said, and I believe him because it's verified by the game score, that the game plan was to allow Uconn to get that 19 point first quarter lead.
Yes he did in his post game presser, and then he chuckled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom