Why are people calling for Wiest | The Boneyard

Why are people calling for Wiest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To be the HC? The guy was a WR coach before he became our OC. We don't even know if he's a good OC but people think he should be the interim HC??? huh?

Reaction Score
I think that people just want to see what he can do. We're not hiring Hughes, why not give him a shot? Either way, as long as coach p is out, really dont care who gets the interim title.

Reaction Score
He would be a horrible choice. The players seem to really like Hank Hughes, I think he would be the choice if Coach P is let go. It is also why I don't see him getting fired, absent a complete mutiny by the team.

Warde needs to get a list going and get ready to pounce as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
He would be a horrible choice. The players seem to really like Hank Hughes, I think he would be the choice if Coach P is let go. It is also why I don't see him getting fired, absent a complete mutiny by the team.

Warde needs to get a list going and get ready to pounce as soon as possible.
HH is done when new coach gets hired...same with the rest of this staff. HH may be a good guy...BUT he is in his 2nd go around as DC..and like the first time under Edsall..he isn't that good!

Reaction Score
HH is done when new coach gets hired...same with the rest of this staff. HH may be a good guy...BUT he is in his 2nd go around as DC..and like the first time under Edsall..he isn't that good!

I don't disagree, but the entire staff is likely gone when Warde cleans house, including Weist. They are not going to go outside the team to hire an interim coach. It is a reason why I don't think Coach P will be fired until after the season. It really does not make an ounce of difference if P goes now or at the end of the season. Recruits will still not be sure who the next coach will be if they go with an interim.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but the entire staff is likely gone when Warde cleans house, including Weist. They are not going to go outside the team to hire an interim coach. It is a reason why I don't think Coach P will be fired until after the season. It really does not make an ounce of difference if P goes now or at the end of the season. Recruits will still not be sure who the next coach will be if they go with an interim.
He may or may not let them interview with new HC as is the norm during a HC change...he has a BIG decision to make after this game though. Let P know, then issue a statement that P is done at the end of the season on Monday, which may or may not appease the fan base. Fire him on Monday and name an interim coach which will appease the fan base. Or force the resignation of GDL Monday...which may or may not appease fan base..then announce P will not be back in 3 weeks.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Naming somebody (anybody) as an Interim means Pasqualoni and DeLeone are gone. I think that is most important to the UCONN fan right now.

Huh? Naming anybody means the 2 program killers are gone forever, like tomorrow

Reaction Score
Naming somebody (anybody) as an Interim means Pasqualoni and DeLeone are gone. I think that is most important to the UCONN fan right now.
Nothing would make me happier...BUT being down 2 coaches while trying to install a new blocking scheme is not good at this point in the season.

Reaction Score
Foley or I'd rather see Wholley be the HC instead of Weist. At least he played here, and has coached up some lb's.

Reaction Score
Anything is better than the current situation. Today the players gave up in any every phase of the game. There is a complete lack of faith in the system. Anything that represents change brings back a semblance of hope for the players. Take the most dynamic personality and put him as interim HC and see if he can go back to basics, inspire and lead a reasonably gifted group a chance to earn some Ws.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Nothing would make me happier...BUT being down 2 coaches while trying to install a new blocking scheme is not good at this point in the season.

How about just re-installing the old blocking scheme? Shouldn't take too long, since four of our five lineman have already played in it...

Reaction Score
It's not that we love Weist, it's that we need hope that things are going to change. Nothing more than that

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Anything is better than the current situation. Today the players gave up in any every phase of the game. There is a complete lack of faith in the system. Anything that represents change brings back a semblance of hope for the players. Take the most dynamic personality and put him as interim HC and see if he can go back to basics, inspire and lead a reasonably gifted group a chance to earn some Ws.
I think that's Weist, and I think he's been hamstrung by P and GDL. HH's defense just gave up how many points to Buffalo? Why do people think he's the next best option? Sure, you could say that Weist only scored 12, but Weist wasn't coaching the OL, either. I don't know. I'm just bitter and pissed.

Reaction Score
I think that's Weist, and I think he's been hamstrung by P and GDL. HH's defense just gave up how many points to Buffalo? Why do people think he's the next best option? Sure, you could say that Weist only scored 12, but Weist wasn't coaching the OL, either. I don't know. I'm just bitter and pissed.
Sounds like Wiest or Foley from what I know, but I'm sure among the players there is a guy they would follow into the pit of hell. That's the guy you want. This requires a dynamic leader who can inspire.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We need somebody like this man...

That's Percy Houghton, legendary Harvard football coach from the early 1900's. Urban legend or not, he reputedly strangled a bulldog in the locker room before Harvard's game with Yale in 1908. The point is we need a coach who will motivate this team, somebody they will play for with great emotion and loyalty. Say what you will about Randy Edsall, and I think he's slime for leaving the way he did it, but his players played for him. I haven't seen that from a UCONN football team for the past three seasons.

Reaction Score

That's Percy Houghton, legendary Harvard football coach from the early 1900's. Urban legend or not, he reputedly strangled a bulldog in the locker room before Harvard's game with Yale in 1908. The point is we need a coach who will motivate this team, somebody they will play for with great emotion and loyalty. Say what you will about Randy Edsall, and I think he's slime for leaving the way he did it, but his players played for him. I haven't seen that from a UCONN football team for the past three seasons.

Is Michael Vick available? I understand he has a similar love for dogs...

Reaction Score

...no. we don't need a dog strangler.

who gives a who the interim head coach is? The mere fact that we'll have an interim head coach means that PP will no longer have a job. That's the goal.

The head coach to lead us into the future won't be determined until after this nightmare of a season is over anyway.

Reaction Score
How about just re-installing the old blocking scheme? Shouldn't take too long, since four of our five lineman have already played in it...
I would love to see us go back to the old scheme...and I want GDL gone if we are going to do that. If we are going to point to the one moment things went bad...I say that it was GDL going to the zone scheme when he got here as OC. You had guys who were experienced Sr's like Ryan and Petrus who had been bulldozers and all Big East. All of the sudden they look like they can"t block anymore...

Reaction Score
Don't care who is the new interim coach if means PP and GDL are gone. At least Weist is young so there is hope he got some fresh ideas vs. sticking with a system that sucks like GDL. At this point, I will even take Foley as interim HC. It does matter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The receivers have improved this year. Really the only bright spot.

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between being a head coach and a coordinator. But you know what? I was just thinking about it. Who cares if a coordinator with no head coaching experience gets the gig the rest of the way. The team might just rally around Weist if he were promoted. And if he falls on his face, so what? This season is over anyway.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think many are calling for Weist because he is the one who is most detached from the old regime. He was brought in this year and many believe his playcalling is being overruled. Right or wrong that belief may be, the rest of the staff has been here for a bit and nany want a complete cleanse of tbe PP control. TJ could represent that for the rest of the season. Is he the long term answer? My guess is no but why not give him the gig for now. HH has proved nothing and has been here a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

didn't buffalo get 24 points off Uconn turnovers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom