Why are our opponents shooting 10 more FT's a game? | The Boneyard

Why are our opponents shooting 10 more FT's a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far we have been to the free throw line for 119 attempts vs our opponents 185. Through only 9 games our opponents have shot 66 more or almost 10 more free throws than us a game. Am I the only one perplexed/infuriated by that discrepancy? Not necessarily blaming the refs (although I do when they calling phantom fouls on Adams) but why aren't we getting to the line? What's up with our defense? Do they not know the new rules? All 3 of our loses have been very close and this is going to be a major ongoing problem if we don't fix it. You would think with our slashing guards like Adams and Purvis we would live at the line.

Reaction Score
So far we have been to the free throw line for 119 attempts vs our opponents 185. Through only 9 games our opponents have shot 66 more or almost 10 more free throws than us a game. Am I the only one perplexed/infuriated by that discrepancy? Not necessarily blaming the refs (although I do when they calling phantom fouls on Adams) but why aren't we getting to the line? What's up with our defense? Do they not know the new rules? All 3 of our loses have been very close and this is going to be a major ongoing problem if we don't fix it. You would think with our slashing guards like Adams and Purvis we would live at the line.
G5

Reaction Score
Looking back on a few of our games...Syracuse shot 18 more free thows than we did. Maryland attempted 29 while we only attempted 12. Today was pretty even with a 12-9 advantage for Ohio St. I figured we would benefit from these new rules but that hasnt been the case so far.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Like I said in another thread

Free throws can be directly correlated to how often a team drives the lane, outside of Jalen & DHam, I'm not sure any of other Huskies possesses the necessary combo of handle & a quick first step to consistently beat their man to the rim

So in turn, we've seen a lot of contested j's, and not much high pct "and 1" attempts

Reaction Score
We can only throw it inside to Miller so that's an issue if you want to get to the line. Our guys on defense seem to get more tick tack fouls but that's probably because I'm a UConn fan lol. Galen will eventually get to the line a lot more when he figures out how to make sure he gets fouled when he gets to the rim. Right now he tries to throw up some pretty stuff so as to not draw contact, eventually it will be lean in or shoulder in and try for the and 1. Damn he's gonna be good, did I mention that? Guessing all the scouts there to see whomever walked away saying "wow"

caw

Reaction Score
Looking back on a few of our games...Syracuse shot 18 more free thows than we did. Maryland attempted 29 while we only attempted 12. Today was pretty even with a 12-9 advantage for Ohio St. I figured we would benefit from these new rules but that hasnt been the case so far.

Maryland, mostly Trimble, forced a lot of calls. The last call against Adams aside, I didn't have a problem with what he got. He's just a very good player. Maryland played maybe it's best game so far this season. They actually played defense and they didn't commit nearly as many bad turnovers as they usually do.

Cuse plays a zone, that usually means less hand checking because of how the zone is attacked.

Reaction Score
You don't think Purvis drives to the rim?
He does, but it's only at one speed. He tends to blow by his man then crash into the bigs - sometimes that gets him the call, and sometimes not.

Contrast that to Cooney, Lavert, Gbinije and especially Trimble (who's brilliant). All of those are change-of-pace drivers who get fouled from behind as often as they do by the guys rotating over to help - they hesitate to bring the initial defender back into the play, then use his momentum against him.

There's also the fact that the P5 teams we've played have mostly been pretty experienced, so their rotations are better and faster, which means fewer desperation close-outs (the type that lead to fouls). We, on the other hand, have constantly looked both spread out and a step slow rotating over, which is obviously another great way for opposing guards to draw fouls.

Reaction Score
Its simply because we never play zone defense. With the new rules your always going to pick up more fouls with man to man and thus the other team will get in the bonus before we do

Reaction Score
I think OSU had three fouls total in the first half and none of them were ticky tack. We had about six ticky tack fouls in the first ten minutes.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Like I said in another thread

Free throws can be directly correlated to how often a team drives the lane, outside of Jalen & DHam, I'm not sure any of other Huskies possesses the necessary combo of handle & a quick first step to consistently beat their man to the rim

So in turn, we've seen a lot of contested j's, and not much high pct "and 1" attempts

This was the statement. I made the point that in addition to DHam and Adams, Purvis also drives.
Didn't say he was efficient or a good free throw shooter. Just seemed like a big omission in the quoted sentence above.

Reaction Score
We don't attack the rack the way our opponents do, at least not until the OSU game. Then when we do get free throws, we don't make them. As we get more proficient with attack mode we'll see our free throw totals go up. We must also attack under control to avoid charging and turnovers.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
This was the statement. I made the point that in addition to DHam and Adams, Purvis also drives.
Didn't say he was efficient or a good free throw shooter. Just seemed like a big omission in the quoted sentence above.
Gotcha, I guess I omitted him on the basis of consistently. If purvis' man has bad foot position you see him beat his man, and he does so with relative ease. I just think that only Jalen and DHam can do so against a defender who's also in good position.....Or maybe I'm just not giving Purvis enough credit. But that's what I see, Purvis has that fast first step but not the tight handle it takes, to take your man when ya want (ala boat, Bazz, kemba, jalen)

Reaction Score
Sure he does, but not efficiently

Fine line here. We need someone to attack the basket and he's really been the only one consistently. Jalen now is looking to explode to the paint more and DHam does but with a little more patience, not really explosion. I can take a few bobbled balls here and there with Rodney as I like his tenacity, can't ask him to slow that down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Conspiracy Kitty surely has answers
catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Um, it's Selvie's fault?

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Overall from what I have seen, our guys are not good at drawing contact. Boat seemed to always have the same issue. When guys get into the lane they almost seem to really do all possible to avoid contact and ensure they get their shot off. They don't try to go go hard through contact, or jump into it to ensure they get to the line (ala kemba or bazz).

Either the above or they are a bunch of v@?inas. Just my take. Don't think we are being that unfairly targeted by the Refs.

Reaction Score
Watching Trimble force contact and selling calls I couldn't help be like ugh is this how other teams felt watching Bazz?!

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs comes up big at the line today in practice. UConn has a free throw drill where Ollie rotates players to shoot free throws. Each guy goes to the line by himself with all the other players under the hoop. KO expects the guys to hit 7 of 8 from the line. As soon as 2 guys miss before hitting the 7/8 the whole team runs (not much just 1 full court sprint lol). During the first round of shots both Sam Jr. and Enoch missed causing the team to run. Then the 2nd round started and the team was at 6 for 7 with Sterling Gibbs headed to the line. In this round Enoch did hit his FT. So anyways all the pressure was on Sterling. To be honest I was sweating bullets as SG coolly and calmly like an assassin walked to the FT line to take his BIG practice FT. What happened? ALL NET! 7 of 8 accomplished!

Gibbs delivers.. at the line. No sprints for the team!

SE first in the gym by at least 30 minutes.

Reaction Score
When our guards penetrate, they pull up to throw lobs to bigs whose defender they pulled, instead of driving to the rim through/at the defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom