Why are Memphis, Navy and Cincinnati in the top 21 in preseason rankings and UConn is 125? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why are Memphis, Navy and Cincinnati in the top 21 in preseason rankings and UConn is 125?

Reaction Score
Iowa State has 10 Florida kids on the roster...Georgia kids, Wisconsin kids, etc.

Recruiting is national...you just have to pull in decent athletes. You have to pull them...sell them on your program. It is more difficult to go to a far region...but Iowa State does it.

FSU sits in a prime area...yet their 2020 class had 13 signees from out of Florida...Alabama, Louisianna, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, and Mississippi.
Edsall is getting much more recruits from Ga Fl SC TX...then the previous staff.

Reaction Score
One scholarly paper actually featured Randy Edsall...:

College applicants who are granted admission to the University of
Connecticut had, on average, high school grade point averages of B+ or better, scored an average 1221 points on the SAT,and ranked in the top 15 percent of their high school class.

Despite this selective admission. profile, no football player recruited by Edsall had ever been denied admission to the school. 173

Additionally, Edsall frequently met with the school’s vice president of enrollment management and planning to discuss
admitting all the football recruits. 174

One would not encounter much trouble inferring from these reports that Edsall probably rallied to admit many student-athletes who were inadequately prepared to succeed at the University of Connecticut.

Seems like the scholarly paper referenced something Jeff Jacobs wrote when P came in and said he could recruit to those guidelines. He didnt either. Lost a great middle linebacker that went to Temple among others.

Reaction Score
One scholarly paper actually featured Randy Edsall...:

College applicants who are granted admission to the University of
Connecticut had, on average, high school grade point averages of B+ or better, scored an average 1221 points on the SAT,and ranked in the top 15 percent of their high school class.

Despite this selective admission. profile, no football player recruited by Edsall had ever been denied admission to the school. 173

Additionally, Edsall frequently met with the school’s vice president of enrollment management and planning to discuss
admitting all the football recruits. 174

One would not encounter much trouble inferring from these reports that Edsall probably rallied to admit many student-athletes who were inadequately prepared to succeed at the University of Connecticut.

Might want to put scholarly in quotes. To draw that conclusion off of one superficial statistic is fifth grade scholarly.

Reaction Score
My point is that we mistake college athletes as a representative portion of a school's student body....and we know pretty much that they aren't.

Somebody try to convice me that Kareem Hicks' (UNC) Wonderlic of 11 makes him college material.....or CJ Spiller's (Clemson) score of 10 or Oscar Davenport's score of 6...Darren Davis (Iowa State) with a 4, was illiterate. Rashan Gary, 5 star at Ohio State scored below a janitor level.

NFL RB's average about what is needed for a security guard and DB's average about what is needed for a craftsman.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Geography is a killer.

If you ask someone in the South what football team they follow, the answer will be “Roll Tide” or “LSU”.

If you ask a Northeasterner the same question, the answer will be “the Pats” or “the Giants”.

Our margin for error is small. To succeed in college football, a Northeastern school needs some luck and nearly infallible leadership. We’ve had neither.

Reaction Score
The academic standard issue is just foolish policy. No one thinks less of Duke or Michigan or UNC's academic profile because they lower their standards for a handful of players. Hell, UNC outright gave athletes the answers to tests. Lowering the standards is an issue in the minds of a handful of administrators because it is perceived as a loss of power.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Because UCONN hired PP instead of Mark Whipple. One decision changed everything.
Really? Whipple didn't seem to do well wherever else he went. I agree someone else could have done better....but not Whipple.

Reaction Score
Really? Whipple didn't seem to do well wherever else he went. I agree someone else could have done better....but not Whipple.
Maybe he was just sayin' anyone else would have been a better hire.

Reaction Score

Whipple is a competent head coach, his recent record at UMASS wasn't very good but that is an impossible situation and UMASS has fallen off a far deeper cliff since Whipple left.

Whipple can run an offense and his UMASS teams scored points. PP went 5- 7 his first two years and complained that the offensive cupboard was bare when really GDL was THE problem. Whipple probably has us winning 7-8 games those years with his offense. In short I think Whipple would have kept us performing at the same level we were when Randy left and we would not be looking up at Temple.

The most frustrating thing about PP is that he was actually dealt a very good hand. That was a talented team loaded with NFL talent coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance, with Joe Moorhead left behind as the offensive coordinator, only a complete Moron could burn it to the ground so quickly. All UCONN had to do was listen to the warnings of one of their top donors and not hire the village idiots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am convinced UConn will be in the top 100 if they play this fall
The talent, size and speed is much better - that will give them at least 2-4 more wins

Ok, you've convinced me. Does that get HCRE2.0 a contract extension? Does not getting team to top 100 get him fired?

Just to check if I should be so easily convinced by you, what record did you have UConn having for 2019 when HCRE2.0 was hired in 2016 and given 2 years of results what was your revised expectations going into the 2019 season.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Ok, you've convinced me. Does that get HCRE2.0 a contract extension? Does not getting team to top 100 get him fired?

Just to check if I should be so easily convinced by you, what record did you have UConn having for 2019 when HCRE2.0 was hired in 2016 and given 2 years of results what was your revised expectations going into the 2019 season.

HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0 HCREDReamJob2.0

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Someday we’re all gonna wake up and it will seem like a bad dream

Reaction Score

If we are being honest anything less than five wins and Randy should be strapped to a rocket and shot into the sun. These are all his players who have been coached up by his staff now. He can't point fingers anywhere but at himself if s*** goes sideways. Bob Diaco is long gone, he can't hurt you anymore coach...

Looking at the schedule it may carry more cache with match ups against The B1G, ACC, and SEC, however the reality is that it is much weaker than an AAC Schedule that would include Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Temple etc. Finishing anything less than 4-1 against a home slate of Umass, ODU, Maine, Liberty and MTSU should be considered grounds for termination on its own. He would still have a home game against Army and a road game TBD(assuming SJSU doesn't play) to get to 5 wins. Beat just one of the P5 "Superpowers" UVA, UNC IU, IL, or Ole Miss and you might get to a bowl. Sadly I don't see it with a coach who thinks punting inside the opponents 50 in the 4th quarter down 20+ points is a good strategy.

Reaction Score
Maybe he was just sayin' anyone else would have been a better hire.
In fairness, PP's issue wasn't that he was a bad coach, his success at both the collegiate and pro level says otherwise, his issue was his loyalty to GDL for OC. GDL killed Syracuse's momentum and PPs job there. And ultimately was the reason PP didn't see any success at UCONN.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Whipple is a competent head coach, his recent record at UMASS wasn't very good but that is an impossible situation and UMASS has fallen off a far deeper cliff since Whipple left.

Whipple can run an offense and his UMASS teams scored points. PP went 5- 7 his first two years and complained that the offensive cupboard was bare when really GDL was THE problem. Whipple probably has us winning 7-8 games those years with his offense. In short I think Whipple would have kept us performing at the same level we were when Randy left and we would not be looking up at Temple.

The most frustrating thing about PP is that he was actually dealt a very good hand. That was a talented team loaded with NFL talent coming off a Fiesta Bowl appearance, with Joe Moorhead left behind as the offensive coordinator, only a complete Moron could burn it to the ground so quickly. All UCONN had to do was listen to the warnings of one of their top donors and not hire the village idiots.
He didn't do well as Miami OC either.

If your comment is we could have done better than PP...well... yeah. And maybe Whipple would be better than PP...but.. I still don't get why you think he is the coach we missed on. I am sure there were better hires at that time than a guy who failed at UM as OC and as a head coach at UMass.

Reaction Score
To be fair...Whipple's two seasons at Miami weren't awful....

9 wins in first season...7 wins in his second and last season.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He didn't do well as Miami OC either.

If your comment is we could have done better than PP...well... yeah. And maybe Whipple would be better than PP...but.. I still don't get why you think he is the coach we missed on. I am sure there were better hires at that time than a guy who failed at UM as OC and as a head coach at UMass.
Miami has been a coach's graveyard for a while.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
his issue was his loyalty to GDL for OC. GDL killed Syracuse's momentum and PPs job there. And ultimately was the reason PP didn't see any success at UCONN.
That sounds like a horrendous coach to me.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a horrendous coach to me.

Yup, blind loyalty to a friend trumped his loyalty to the program paying him close to 3 million per year. That's about as unprofessional as it gets and it pretty much tells me he didn't give a darn, just in it for the money and laughing all the way to the bank.

Reaction Score
In fairness, PP's issue wasn't that he was a bad coach, his success at both the collegiate and pro level says otherwise, his issue was his loyalty to GDL for OC. GDL killed Syracuse's momentum and PPs job there. And ultimately was the reason PP didn't see any success at UCONN.
Can’t excuse His tone deaf loyalty to a total loser. The guy was a life sucking cancer. Bad coaches prize loyalty over talent, and keep threats at bay. Good leaders higher better than themselves and share the limelight. Edsall dealing with Crocker and Lashlee Is a perfect case of the opposite. Drum out the potential threats and keep the yes men.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Can’t excuse His tone deaf loyalty to a total loser. The guy was a life sucking cancer. Bad coaches prize loyalty over talent, and keep threats at bay. Good leaders higher better than themselves and share the limelight. Edsall dealing with Crocker and Lashlee Is a perfect case of the opposite. Drum out the potential threats and keep the yes men.
You just summarized Diaco's coaching staff management in one paragraph.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom