Why Any Top Basketball Recruit Should Choose UConn | The Boneyard

Why Any Top Basketball Recruit Should Choose UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love the article but we don't need this kind of fluff piece. 4 titles. Enough said.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My one issue is that the author has the gall to sub-title this piece: "A completely unbiased look at why every college basketball recruit should want to go to UConn." It's not an unbiased look, it's written by a UConn fan for a UConn-centric blog. I have no problem with these types of pieces, but passing it off as unbiased is just disingenuous.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah we're not Big Man U either.

Reaction Score
Should put into stats how low ranking players out of highschool developed into lottery picks. Also showing how at other schools highly rated players (top 10) failed to make the lottery. Something along those lines.

Reaction Score
Every school needs fluff pieces. The more, the better. That fluff piece wasn't fluffy enough for me. I wanted it to be even fluffier.

Reaction Score
My favorite part: "Since 1980, Syracuse, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana have won a total of four championships. Or, the same amount UConn has in half the time. If you want to win, you come to UConn."

Reaction Score
My one issue is that the author has the gall to sub-title this piece: "A completely unbiased look at why every college basketball recruit should want to go to UConn." It's not an unbiased look, it's written by a UConn fan for a UConn-centric blog. I have no problem with these types of pieces, but passing it off as unbiased is just disingenuous.

It was a comment made as a joke because it's obviously biased.

Reaction Score
Nice fluff piece but probably worth mentioning Andre Drummond. Sure, he only spent one season in Storrs but gotta think his name carries the most weight of the bunch with 17-year-olds.

Also, the "unbiased" in the subtitle is definitely tongue-in-cheek.

Reaction Score
My favorite part: "Since 1980, Syracuse, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana have won a total of four championships. Or, the same amount UConn has in half the time. If you want to win, you come to UConn."

I'd like that part better if it were accurate. Cuse won in '03, UCLA in '95, Kansas in '88 and '08, and Indiana in '81 and '87. That's six.

Reaction Score
I'd like that part better if it were accurate. Cuse won in '03, UCLA in '95, Kansas in '88 and '08, and Indiana in '81 and '87. That's six.
wow.... good reminder to fact check. There are several other ways to make an impressive point about 4 championships since '99 (versus other top tier programs). thanks for pointing out the facts

Reaction Score

The problem is, I don't think recruits particularly care about winning, certainly not as much as we would like to think they do. I think they'd say winning, if it happens, is a nice bonus, but my impression is they're primarily concerned about:

1) Exposure for the NBA
- Playing time/style of play (being able to show off for scouts)
- TV exposure (winning can help here, but is largely secondary)
- Hype (reputation of the program)
- Coaching (possibly in terms of elevating their skills, but primarily the coach's reputation for getting guys to the League)
2) School Climate/Location (weather, proximity to home, girls)

Reaction Score
The problem is, I don't think recruits particularly care about winning, certainly not as much as we would like to think they do.

Could be, but I think it really depends on the recruit. I've got a feeling Jalen Adams is salivating to bring #5 to Storrs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The problem is, I don't think recruits particularly care about winning, certainly not as much as we would like to think they do. I think they'd say winning, if it happens, is a nice bonus, but my impression is they're primarily concerned about:

1) Exposure for the NBA
- Coaching (possibly in terms of elevating their skills, but primarily the coach's reputation for getting guys to the League)

Agree 100%. Winning is a keystone priority for fans and coaches, but it falls much further down the list for players.

Reaction Score

1) Exposure for the NBA
Winning pretty much factors into the majority of what you list for #1, so although recruits might not necessarily put a premium on winning themselves, it is definitely a selling point that helps in the recruiting process.

Reaction Score
There isn't a better coach in the college game that could better prepare a player for the NBA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom