Why a New President is Important to Football Success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why a New President is Important to Football Success

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And then of course we will have 50 people here that don't have access to the new president but will make stuff up about what he or she thinks.

You don’t need access to someone to someone to know if they sign off on hiring Randy Edsall they are either clueless or uncaring.

Do people believe huge corporations when they say they care about their employees work life balance? How about when Facebook says they care about your privacy?

She says some of the right stuff and does all of the wrong things - if you’d prefer to chalk to up to incompetence because of access that’s fine.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Herbst was completely out of touch when it came to big time division 1 athletics. Are you guys crazy?

Look she's the President of an academic institution, so sure sports may not be her bag, but have you heard he speak about sports? Always cringeworthty.
I don't know, I found her "winning winners who win" speech inspiring. Dare I say it was a "winner?"

Reaction Score
She raised the profile of the school. That’s great, but it sure seems like going back to a more fun, passive campus environment with a focus on big time athletics and educating the kids of the State of Connecticut would help. Maybe we have become too exclusive and too boring? Let in a B student from Suffield or Southington. Let him have a few beers and enjoy the state U like in the good old days. More importantly, build the in-state fan base and long term donors for the good of the endowment.

Is it really so great to be so much better than WVU or UL academically? I question that. Maybe we should educate more homegrown kids, win games and have some fun. Life is short.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She raised the profile of the school. That’s great, but it sure seems like going back to a more fun, passive campus environment with a focus on big time athletics and educating the kids of the State of Connecticut would help. Maybe we have become too exclusive and too boring? Let in a B student from Suffield or Southington. Let him have a few beers and enjoy the state U like in the good old days. More importantly, build the in-state fan base and long term donors for the good of the endowment.
and have some fun. Life is short.

The faculty and administration clearly prefer greater exclusivity since it raises their status in academia. But, therein lies the dilemma for UConn. If you are Michigan or North Carolina (Chapel Hill) you don't worry about it because you have MSU and NCSU for that B student. Those options do not exist in CT. The CT State University system is not their equivalent.

Reaction Score

Is it really so great to be so much better than WVU or UL academically? I question that. Maybe we should educate more homegrown kids, win games and have some fun. Life is short.
Taking the best students you can get is a good thing. But they're still 18-22 year olds and regardless of how smart you are, kids need things to do and kids do go to college to party. She tipped the scales way too far in one direction. We need to end up in the middle somewhere

Reaction Score

This is in jest, right?

RIGHT???

Reaction Score
Lets just hire Yosemite Sam and that SEC invite should come the next day.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No UConn president from now till the end of time will have “improving student party atmosphere” on their priority list.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

First generation of Gentrification is always the most boring.

Reaction Score
She and Warde destroyed UConn athletics. She was and likely is still naive about it. Warde knew he was on his way to Michigan no matter what.

Reaction Score
You don’t need access to someone to someone to know if they sign off on hiring Randy Edsall they are either clueless or uncaring.

Do people believe huge corporations when they say they care about their employees work life balance? How about when Facebook says they care about your privacy?

She says some of the right stuff and does all of the wrong things - if you’d prefer to chalk to up to incompetence because of access that’s fine.

The only thing I'm claiming because of access is that she understands that sports are a big deal. That's because she said it to me, to my face, and I believed her. Even if she doesn't personally care, she knows that the alumni with checkbooks care, and therefore she has to care. She is a pragmatist. As to her success? Sports are easy - there is a scoreboard.

Clearly she gets an F on football, along with everyone else in the administration and the athletic department. Doesn't matter whose fault this is - the program is a disaster, and she didn't fix it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom