Whose our biggest rival? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whose our biggest rival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nova for sure. Creighton is budding due to how much we suck against them and PC wants us to be their rival REALLY bad but until they have any sort of sustained success they are just the closest opponent.
Syracuse is definitely historically the biggest rival (95 lifetime games where Syracuse led 56-39, but UConn 30-26 since 1988). 6 OT game, epic other games, hatred between fan bases, but haven’t played in 4 years and won’t likely play again going forward very often.

Nova easy #1 rival now (4 vs 2 Natty’s, 30-26 récord since 1988). We were the beast of old BE, they have been beast of new BE. Many Nova alum living in CT.

The many who are saying Creighton must be drunk. They have one Sweet 16 since 1974 and it was the Covid year in the bubble, which had a major asterisk IMHO. They have one Elite 8 (1941) and no Final Four appearances. We are 0-5 against them. How is that a rivalry?

Providence is obvious #2 now. We’ve played them 48 times since 1988 (lead 29-19) and have played them 68 times all time (lead 39-29). The schools are an hour away from each other and PC has a huge number of CT alums. The fan bases hate each other and taunt each other on social media. It is a beautiful thing!

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
this is the perfect chance for uconn to just embrace providence as a rival. i'm not sure why we are high-roading them
Exactly. Theyve been competitive for a few years now and won the conference last season. They’ve earned it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
this is the perfect chance for uconn to just embrace providence as a rival. i'm not sure why we are high-roading them
And I’m not sure why we are elevating them. What’s the basis of the rivalry? Surely not there coveted six NCAA tournament games since Ed Cooley became coach back in 2011. They did have a good year this season, but they caught some major breaks by not having to play the best teams in the league do you to Covid shut downs. I don’t fault them for that, but it certainly doesn’t elevate them much in my opinion.

If we played Syracuse every season, that would be more of a classic rivalry, because as others have stated, the fan bases really don’t like each other. Or maybe it’s just The Boneyard and syracuse fam.com that don’t like each other. I always get along with Syracuse fans when we’ve played it MSG. Yeah there is a lot of good-natured give-and-take, but it is good-natured.

Providence college? In all honesty, I think it’s of UMass as more of a rival. Perhaps even URI. Pc just doesn’t move the needle for me.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is definitely historically the biggest rival (95 lifetime games where Syracuse led 56-39, but UConn 30-26 since 1988). 6 OT game, epic other games, hatred between fan bases, but haven’t played in 4 years and won’t likely play again going forward very often.

Nova easy #1 rival now (4 vs 2 Natty’s, 30-26 récord since 1988). We were the beast of old BE, they have been beast of new BE. Many Nova alum living in CT.

The many who are saying Creighton must be drunk. They have one Sweet 16 since 1974 and it was the Covid year in the bubble, which had a major asterisk IMHO. They have one Elite 8 (1941) and no Final Four appearances. We are 0-5 against them. How is that a rivalry?

Providence is obvious #2 now. We’ve played them 48 times since 1988 (lead 29-19) and have played them 68 times all time (lead 39-29). The schools are an hour away from each other and PC has a huge number of CT alums. The fan bases hate each other and taunt each other on social media. It is a beautiful thing!
Being 0-5 against them certainly makes them to be a circled date on our calendar when the schedule comes out. In a conference where we really only have any sort of recent history with Nova, its safe to say Creighton is someone we probably want to beat this coming season as much as anyone.

Reaction Score
Syracuse easily number 1 rival

Nova is 2nd due to their dominant success lately and Big East

Pitt is number 3 historically. If they had remained in the Big East and Jamie Dixon was still their coach, Pitt would probably be ahead of Nova.

Our problem is that 2 of our main rivals left for the ACC.

PS: Providence doesn’t even register as a rival

CL82

Reaction Score
But the question is are you nova‘s rival?

Reaction Score
I have to give the NBE a couple more years to see how things shake out and if PC turns out to be a great basketball rival, great. I'd like to see our biggest basketball rivals be Nova, SJU, Georgetown and perhaps PC and SHU. I give PC a lot of credit for doing so much more than BCU with much less financially. All that ACC money and BCU is still completely irrelevant. Oh the shame.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I think a rival has to have some hatred/extreme familiarity involved.
Syracuse and Providence come to mind (and we still have recruiting/transfer battles with them). I don't really hate Villanova. They're A rival, but they're not on the level of Syracuse or PC for us. I mean PC are literally in our backyard, pissing in our water.

I think our rivalry with PC will be strong next year and beyond, as long as Cooley didn't just catch lightning in a bottle last season. There's some legitimate sour grapes there between Hurley and Cooley and Floyd/UConn, etc.

It's really a shame we don't play Syracuse every year. That should be a given. Why can't we get a home and home with them? I want to kick their teeth in while they're down and send the whiner on his merry way.

Seton Hall could turn into a bigger rival in the coming years, depending on Shaheen's recruiting success.

I don't see Creighton as a big rival right now. And they certainly don't see us as a rival as we've never beaten them..lmao. There just isn't enough of a history yet and we aren't close enough geographically. And I sat with a bunch of folks from Creighton during this year's Big East Tournament. Friendly fanbase from what I can tell. They said they're cherishing their success against us now and know that it won't be like that for much longer.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
In the original Big East, our biggest rivals were Pitt and Syracuse. Obviously, we dislike Duke. Now, I would say Villanova and then Providence is becoming a distant second.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We have no rivals. All teams use the standard we set to measure themselves.

Reaction Score
In the original Big East, our biggest rivals were Pitt and Syracuse. Obviously, we dislike Duke. Now, I would say Villanova and then Providence is becoming a distant second.
This.

Syracuse was 1
Pitt was 1A
Villanova was second tier rivalry, a warm-up to the main event.

CL82

Reaction Score
We have to actually beat them before it's a rivalry.
Even afterwards I gave a resounding “meh”, but you aren’t wrong.

Reaction Score
Hard to call Cuse a rival anymore. We just don’t play them enough. But we sure hate them a lot more than anyone else to this day

Nova is our truest rival

Creighton has a hatable fan base yet the team has had our number so that could be brewing

You’re at least 40 if you consider PC anything close to a rival

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hard to call Cuse a rival anymore. We just don’t play them enough. But we sure hate them a lot more than anyone else to this day

Nova is our truest rival

Creighton has a hatable fan base yet the team has had our number so that could be brewing

You’re at least 40 if you consider PC anything close to a rival
We should be playing Syracuse very year hone and home in basketball.

Reaction Score
Considering the recent history, their likely top 10-15 pre-season ranking and national TV coverage for both, the games against Creighton should be pretty heated this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom