Whose Fault is the D? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whose Fault is the D?

Reaction Score
Most the blame is Diaco for his recruiting obviously put us at a disadvantage at literally every position. But in my opinion that doesnt absolve Crocker from any blame either. We may be not at the same level as Boise or UCF but I've never seen so many players so lost or afraid of tackling than I have the last two weeks. And that's 100% current coaching

Reaction Score

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Bleacher Report did a ranking of the youngest teams in CFB. Based on the years of the 22 starting players (not counting special teams). Uconn did not make the top 25. (Houston wa# #2 and Michigan was #5).
Fake news!

Reaction Score
Bleacher Report did a ranking of the youngest teams in CFB. Based on the years of the 22 starting players (not counting special teams). Uconn did not make the top 25. (Houston wa# #2 and Michigan was #5).

This is only meant as friendly banter, but your ND avatar must stand for Naturally Delusional..
I thank huskymedic for supplying what I would have looked for below.

At this point we basically have a JV team playing against other teams varsity. I am not complaining, I get the gravity of our situation, I attend every home game. I just wonder why an Irish fan would bother to be here, and how one would not understand that schools like Houston and Michigan get freshman at a different level than UConn. :confused: Head bang

I do hope to see ND on our schedule down the road, our last meeting turned out quite nice. ;)

C

Chief00

The D's "fault" is mostly because our 2-deep consists of players who are simply not good enough to play FBS level yet. Most/all of these guys would be under a RS now in most competitive programs, but alas, thanks to some very underwhelming Diaco classes, here we are playing FR everywhere. We're asking undersized and overmatched FR to play in just about every position on the field. Not strong enough, not fast enough yet. Give them another year or two to build the necessary football strength, speed and IQ. That said, I've always hated 3-3-5 and really hope this isn't our defensive future.

The program's "fault" can be shared by many many many participants, including our current head coach for fleeing like the Baltimore Colts after our Fiesta Bowl and leaving the completely inept and unqualified Jeff Hathaway in charge of hiring his replacement. Every single hire/move since has been terrible and added a L to every season's schedule. Just a perfect storm of ineptitude and unqualified employees & scholarship recipients.

It would be easier to be patient, if we saw an actual improvement in recruiting. Thus far, RE has been disappointing in that area. Since he was here 7 years ago technology improvements and greater football staffing levels devoted to recruiting make the under the radar guy less likely. More often who we get is a result of us not getting the guy who went somewhere else. Putting RE’s BS aside that’s what we are dealing with here.

Reaction Score
Key word in this post, repeated twice -- "yet." I agree. Endure the nightmare now, enjoy the fruits later.
It’s like what they say to athletes, “Trust the process.” When you tell an athlete to trust the process or fall in love with the process you’re referring to all the slow, tedious preparation that happens off the field. The premise is to enjoy the struggle because when you do, the dividends will almost always pay out. Fans alike, we may have lost some during this process but the ones that stick around will enjoy what this team looks like in a few years. I would love for the Rent to be packed and see the fans fighting alongside this young team. How cool would that be? UConn football would be the talk of the town. Recruits would strongly consider coming to a place where the stadium is packed even when the team is losing. They would imagine bringing their talent in to help that kind of rebuild. It would set us apart from most programs. Parents of those recruits would be even more impressed to see that kind of support system for their kids.
Alas, that’s not gonna happen because fandom doesn’t operate that way- but it should. We want our athletes to trust the process, trust and fall in love with the grind. Imagine if we did the same?
We’d be the talk of the town

Reaction Score
It would be easier to be patient, if we saw an actual improvement in recruiting. Thus far, RE has been disappointing in that area. Since he was here 7 years ago technology improvements and greater football staffing levels devoted to recruiting make the under the radar guy less likely. More often who we get is a result of us not getting the guy who went somewhere else. Putting RE’s BS aside that’s what we are dealing with here.
May I ask a question Chief? How do you know when a recruit is good or a bust? Because you’ve already deemed RE recruiting a failure thus far. Just want to know what’s your measuring stick with this year (his first full year of recruiting).

C

Chief00

True, he had one “full year” of recruiting but he is currently recruiting his third recruiting class. Thus far, the rankings have been low and we haven’t seen any evidence of on field improvement. True, Randy has a very good eye for talent potential in under the radar guys. My concern is since Randy last stop here , with all the non coaching staff teams have now to support recruiting and technology - there may be less under the radar guys to mine.
I do agree in practice the guys seem faster and more athletic than a couple years ago but the 3-4 upper tier AAC teams we play are noticeably faster on the field.

Perhaps, it is too early and I am impatient and unfair - so your criticism is probably justified to some extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
True, he had one “full year” of recruiting but he is currently recruiting his third recruiting class. Thus far, the rankings have been low and we haven’t seen any evidence of on field improvement. True, Randy has a very good eye for talent potential in under the radar guys. My concern is since Randy last stop here , with all the non coaching staff teams have now to support recruiting and technology - there may be less under the radar guys to mine.
I do agree in practice the guys seem faster and more athletic than a couple years ago but the 3-4 upper tier AAC teams we play are noticeably faster on the field.

Perhaps, it is too early and I am impatient and unfair - so your criticism is probably justified to some extent.
We are athletic but young.
When these kids learn the game from this level they’ll play much faster. They haven’t learned how to anticipate plays yet. That comes with experience and countless reps. I’m sure they’re still thinking a bit too much out there.
Remember, high school offenses and defenses are as vanilla as ice cream. The level of study down there pales in comparison to what’s needed here.
Give it time. I like what I see

Reaction Score
Got a link to either article you have mentioned regarding youngest teams in CFB?

The only Bleacher Report one I found w/ Houston #2 and Michigan #5 was from 2013.

From UConn v. URI Game Notes: UConn played 11 true freshmen on opening night with eight playing on the defensive side of the ball. Here is where UConn ranks nationally:

Georgia: 18 (9 offense, 8 defense, 1 special team)
Minnesota: 16 (7 offense, 9 defense)
Missouri: 14 (8 offense, 6 defense)
Ohio State: 14 (5 offense, 9 defense)
Florida: 14 (9 offense, 5 defense)
Clemson: 13
TCU: 13
Nevada: 12 (7 offense, 5 defense)
UConn: 11 (3 offense, 8 defense)
Georgia Tech: 11 (2 offense, 9 defense)
USC: 11 (6 defense, 4 offense, 1 special teams)
Oregon: (5 defense, 3 offense, 2 special teams)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
From UConn v. URI Game Notes: UConn played 11 true freshmen on opening night with eight playing on the defensive side of the ball. Here is where UConn ranks nationally:

Georgia: 18 (9 offense, 8 defense, 1 special team)
Minnesota: 16 (7 offense, 9 defense)
Missouri: 14 (8 offense, 6 defense)
Ohio State: 14 (5 offense, 9 defense)
Florida: 14 (9 offense, 5 defense)
Clemson: 13
TCU: 13
Nevada: 12 (7 offense, 5 defense)
UConn: 11 (3 offense, 8 defense)
Georgia Tech: 11 (2 offense, 9 defense)
USC: 11 (6 defense, 4 offense, 1 special teams)
Oregon: (5 defense, 3 offense, 2 special teams)
Presumably, those are the number of true freshman who played for UGA, Minn, Mizzou, etc. How many started?

Reaction Score
Presumably, those are the number of true freshman who played for UGA, Minn, Mizzou, etc. How many started?

Not listed in Game Notes.

The lead-in to the above numbers was this statement:

>>The Huskies’ season-opening two-deep featured 11 first-year players (true and redshirt freshmen) on defense and six on offense. An additional three players on the special teams unit are also first year players. The week-two depth chart features five true freshmen defenders on the top-line. Additionally, 11 first-year players (freshmen or r-freshmen) are included in this week’s depth chart on the defensive side of the ball.

I highly doubt the age of the offense starters on the depth chart skew the age data significantly. Someone else can chase that rabbit down the hole. Two Deep URI - UConn Huskies

Reaction Score

Don't confuse the posters with facts. It upsets them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I highly doubt the age of the offense starters on the depth chart skew the age data significantly. Someone else can chase that rabbit down the hole. Two Deep URI - UConn Huskies

My point was more driving to the fact that UConn has freshmen (regardless of who) at key positions at all times. The other schools listed may have freshmen in their positional rotations, but there is experience on the field for most of the game.

Reaction Score
Don't confuse the posters with facts. It upsets them.

Here are the facts.

True freshman starters of the teams listed above:

UConn: 1 on offense, 5 on defense

Georgia: 0 on offense, 1 on defense
Minnesota: 2 on offense, 1 on defense
Missouri: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Ohio St: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Florida: 0 on offense, 1 on defense
Clemson: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
TCU: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Nevada: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Georgia Tech: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
USC: 1 on offense, 0 on defense
Oregon: 1 on offense, 0 on defense

What about true freshman starters for UCF and Boise St?

Both, 0 on offense, 0 on defense.

True freshman starters in the AAC?

UCF: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
USF: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
ECU: 1 on offense, 0 on defense
Cincinnati: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Temple: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Navy: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Tulsa: o on offense, 0 on defense
Houston: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
SMU: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Tulane: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Memphis: 0 on offense, 0 on defense

In the AAC, there are 2 true freshmen starters on offense (1 UConn) and 6 true freshmen starters on defense (5 UConn).

In other words, UConn has almost double the starting true freshmen on defense than Georgia, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio St, Florida, Clemson, TCU, Nevada, Georgia Tech, USC, and Oregon COMBINED! And, 5 times the starting true freshmen compared to the ENTIRE AAC!

The lack of experience on defense for UConn is unheard of in college football. At many schools, if a new coach had inherited UConn's roster mess, the new coach would have recruited a group of JuCos, but that is not the way it happens at UConn for many reasons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here are the facts.

True freshman starters of the teams listed above:

UConn: 1 on offense, 5 on defense

Georgia: 0 on offense, 1 on defense
Minnesota: 2 on offense, 1 on defense
Missouri: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Ohio St: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Florida: 0 on offense, 1 on defense
Clemson: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
TCU: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Nevada: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Georgia Tech: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
USC: 1 on offense, 0 on defense
Oregon: 1 on offense, 0 on defense

What about true freshman starters for UCF and Boise St?

Both, 0 on offense, 0 on defense.

True freshman starters in the AAC?

UCF: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
USF: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
ECU: 1 on offense, 0 on defense
Cincinnati: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Temple: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Navy: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Tulsa: o on offense, 0 on defense
Houston: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
SMU: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Tulane: 0 on offense, 0 on defense
Memphis: 0 on offense, 0 on defense

In the AAC, there are 2 true freshmen starters on offense (1 UConn) and 6 true freshmen starters on defense (5 UConn).

In other words, UConn has almost double the starting true freshmen on defense than Georgia, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio St, Florida, Clemson, TCU, Nevada, Georgia Tech, USC, and Oregon COMBINED! And, 5 times the starting true freshmen compared to the ENTIRE AAC!

The lack of experience on defense for UConn is unheard of in college football. At many schools, if a new coach had inherited UConn's roster mess, the new coach would have recruited a group of JuCos, but that is not the way it happens at UConn for many reasons.

LOL dunking on Pal.

Reaction Score
Dicko is the man to blame. He recruited FCS players the last couple years and now we are paying the price. We are easily the youngest team in the country.

We are starting 11 underclassmen on defense right now. How is it possible that not a single upperclassmen can beat out all the underclassmen. Not 1!!! 17 of the 22 players on the defensive 2 deep are underclassmen.

This is a complete rebuild from a talent perspective.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is really tough to watch. One of the softest defenses that I can ever remember watching on any level, including high school. Not tough enough to get off any blocks. Not fast enough to create angles. Not strong enough to tackle anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom