Who's Top 3 in the polls | The Boneyard

Who's Top 3 in the polls

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I look at the polls and see picks based on top players on each team . Are they dominate...well not like Stewie or Maya or Diana but in this era of WCBB they are top players and in most cases will lead their teams. In some cases they are their team. The reason UConn continues to be dominate each year is because of other factors. Some of those factors are team chemistry, team discipline, team play, individual practice that leads to team practice, cohesivness, and coachability. Players need to be coachable. UConn runs a system and everybody on the team plays in the system and if they dont they dont play. Uconn can take one player out and put another in and they can run all their plays much like a well oiled machine. Repetition is the mother of skill but only repetition of the basic fundementals that will lead to confidence. You see you cant practice anything once or twice or 20 times and get it. Its a continual thing, everyday. As has been said you practice it til you cant get it wrong. However continuing to practice the wrong things over and over again will lead to failure in most instances.

So this season many polls have Oregon and Baylor as 1 and 2. IMO thats based on their top players and players returning from last season along maybe with some freshman. Without a really dominate player they are beatable. Both teams have question marks that still need to be answered however as of right now preseason many believe they are the two best teams. UConn also has question marks. They need to fill a spot for a 5th starter and most likely it will someone other they someone who was on last seasons roster. Another question is how will ONO contribute this season. Another question is will Westbrook play. Another question is how will Makurat, Griffin and Adebayo perform. They are new to UConn and how long will it take for them to learn the system? Now we all know Geno has been able to bring players along and transform them into UConns system and become effective. He's done it in the past. I will repeat myself and say how many teams have a better 5th starter then who UConn can put on the floor and how much better are they then who UConn can put on the floor. Next I will say who has better guards then UConn? How many players are better then Walker. IMO the 2 biggest "Ifs" at UConn this season is ONO's and the 5th starters contributions. If its Westbrook UConn imo should be number 1 in the polls and if not we will wait and see. UConn is a very very strong team and has been a team lead by the coaching staff and not dependent on one individual player. By depending on the team to execute it takes the pressure off your star player. We've seen in the past UConn win big games without key players playing due to injury. UConn is unique.

So to start the season we will learn alot. Sabrina is a great player and leader for Oregon. Cox is a great player for Baylor. UConn has 4 top 10 high school players and maybe one more in Westbrook. So all this talk about how good one player is versus another imo doesnt matter because it depends on how well the team jells around that one good player. Basketball is a team game and not an indivdual game and if you can surround your top player with a team that can execute then you can be a championship team. If not well then......

Reaction Score
So to start the season we will learn alot. Sabrina is a great player and leader for Oregon. Cox is a great player for Baylor. UConn has 4 top 10 high school players and maybe one more in Westbrook. So all this talk about how good one player is versus another imo doesnt matter because it depends on how well the team jells around that one good player. Basketball is a team game and not an indivdual game and if you can surround your top player with a team that can execute then you can be a championship team. If not well then.
The only problem I have with your post is Oregon is more than just Sabrina. They have three players that will be drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft and a 4th that will probably get drafted. You can debate that Oregon top three players are better than UConn three best players in the college game. (not from high school). Now if Westbrook is eligible then you are talking about a whole new ballgame.

Reaction Score
Guard play can take you a long way. Oregon having Sabrina automatically makes them a title threat, especially since she has multiple quality options for her to pass to.

UConn will be a formidable team simply because we have one of the best backcourts in the country. Dangerfield has the experience and is a top 5 pg in program history. Williams, IMO, will end up being one of the best guards to come through UConn. So having the two of them immediately makes UConn a tough out.

Baylor to me is more of a question mark. Cox can only be dominant on the offensive end if she has players able to get her the ball in her spots. Defensively she will continue to cause lots of problems for opponents.

It’s balanced at the top, but I think come March, guard play will be the key. And I’m happy we have the backcourt we do.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Oregon is the most proven commodity and looks like the easy choice at #1 since they were excellent last year and return a very similar lineup. Definitely should be beatable though.

Baylor has a big question mark in the backcourt but they have a standout center in Cox plus a strong sophomore class. Cooper brings potential chemistry issues, but Baylor should have the talent to compete for a second title.

UCONN has more question marks than the others with the loss of KLS/Collier, but they have a lot of young talent back who will step into larger roles. Walker and Dangerfield are excellent but I think Williams is the one to watch. If she can emerge as a go to scorer I think UCONN can win it all. This is also assuming that ONO makes huge strides from her freshman season.

Those are the clear cut top 3 IMO. I'll be surprised if it isnt one of those teams cutting down the nets in April.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCONN has more question marks than the others with the loss of KLS/Collier, but they have a lot of young talent back who will step into larger roles. Tuck and Dangerfield are excellent but I think Williams is the one to watch. If she can emerge as a go to scorer I think UCONN can win it all. This is also assuming that ONO makes huge strides from her freshman season.

Tuck? Might you mean Walker?

Reaction Score
I look at the polls and see picks based on top players on each team . Are they dominate...well not like Stewie or Maya or Diana but in this era of WCBB they are top players and in most cases will lead their teams. In some cases they are their team. The reason UConn continues to be dominate each year is because of other factors. Some of those factors are team chemistry, team discipline, team play, individual practice that leads to team practice, cohesivness, and coachability. Players need to be coachable. UConn runs a system and everybody on the team plays in the system and if they dont they dont play. Uconn can take one player out and put another in and they can run all their plays much like a well oiled machine. Repetition is the mother of skill but only repetition of the basic fundementals that will lead to confidence. You see you cant practice anything once or twice or 20 times and get it. Its a continual thing, everyday. As has been said you practice it til you cant get it wrong. However continuing to practice the wrong things over and over again will lead to failure in most instances.

So this season many polls have Oregon and Baylor as 1 and 2. IMO thats based on their top players and players returning from last season along maybe with some freshman. Without a really dominate player they are beatable. Both teams have question marks that still need to be answered however as of right now preseason many believe they are the two best teams. UConn also has question marks. They need to fill a spot for a 5th starter and most likely it will someone other they someone who was on last seasons roster. Another question is how will ONO contribute this season. Another question is will Westbrook play. Another question is how will Makurat, Griffin and Adebayo perform. They are new to UConn and how long will it take for them to learn the system? Now we all know Geno has been able to bring players along and transform them into UConns system and become effective. He's done it in the past. I will repeat myself and say how many teams have a better 5th starter then who UConn can put on the floor and how much better are they then who UConn can put on the floor. Next I will say who has better guards then UConn? How many players are better then Walker. IMO the 2 biggest "Ifs" at UConn this season is ONO's and the 5th starters contributions. If its Westbrook UConn imo should be number 1 in the polls and if not we will wait and see. UConn is a very very strong team and has been a team lead by the coaching staff and not dependent on one individual player. By depending on the team to execute it takes the pressure off your star player. We've seen in the past UConn win big games without key players playing due to injury. UConn is unique.

So to start the season we will learn alot. Sabrina is a great player and leader for Oregon. Cox is a great player for Baylor. UConn has 4 top 10 high school players and maybe one more in Westbrook. So all this talk about how good one player is versus another imo doesnt matter because it depends on how well the team jells around that one good player. Basketball is a team game and not an indivdual game and if you can surround your top player with a team that can execute then you can be a championship team. If not well then.
Couldn't agree more, basketball is a team game, but it always great to have a superstar on your team, which UCONN has experienced over and over. You know, it will be interesting to see how Vegas sizes up the favorites. I think there are at least 5-6 teams that can win it this year. I don't think there is a clear favorite.

Reaction Score
I will feel much better if Ono can learn to commit less fouls and be aggressive at the same time...We will see..........

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more, basketball is a team game, but it always great to have a superstar on your team, which UCONN has experienced over and over. You know, it will be interesting to see how Vegas sizes up the favorites. I think there are at least 5-6 teams that can win it this year. I don't think there is a clear favorite.
I believe there are three clear favorite, Oregon, Baylor, and Texas A&M. Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
I believe there are three clear favorite, Oregon, Baylor, and Texas A&M. Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong.
Glad to see a MSU fan acknowledge the potential of Texas A&M.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom