• Baylor

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • The Field

Votes: 54 49.1%

• Total voters

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I could bet the field here I'd be betting it with both fists. Especially if the price was even money (which I know it wouldn't be).

Wise thought process.

If I had to pick one team, it would be the Zags.

Gimme the field over any two teams? Field.

Reaction Score
Anybody but Baylor. The Baylor women have an opportunity too. If both win, we won't be the only school with men's and women's championships in the same year. Just selfish.
Yes, IF they do, will they be able to do it twice! ☝

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Speaking of the Zags, sub par game from Suggs today, Ayayi was okay, but the next 2 guards off the bench combined for 32 points (on 12-18 shooting!) and 10 assists. There's some of that depth I was talking about.

Reaction Score
Speaking of the Zags, sub par game from Suggs today, Ayayi was okay, but the next 2 guards off the bench combined for 32 points (on 12-18 shooting!) and 10 assists. There's some of that depth I was talking about.
You can make the same argument for Baylor: Jared Butler had a sub par shooting day (6-18 shooting), Mitchell/Teague were just “good” and two guards off the bench scores a combined 32 points (13-21 shooting).

The main difference is Baylor did it against Auburn vs Pepperdine.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
So what is the protocol if a team comes down with the COVID?
Exactly. Or a ref , fan etc... They'll do the same thing the hedge fund guys did with the market if it isn't going their way & the rest of us can pound sand

Reaction Score
I'm with you on Baylor. It's a whole team of 3 and D. (#1 defense and #1 3 point shooting team).
I've got receipts. Only team I bet on to win the title.
baylor.png

Reaction Score
Well only 11% of people on this board picked them at the time of the bet, so...
So? Still not very impressive to pick the 2nd favorite. Especially when the top two teams were head and shoulders above the rest of the country all year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Suggs isn't by himself back there. Ayayi, Nembhard, Cook + Kispert if you want to count him as backcourt is a deep, experienced, talented group.
Ugh. I guess Suggs was by himself. Only Zag to really show up and compete at the level necessary tonight. Baylor had 3 guards do it. 3>1. And then Vital grabbed almost as many O boards as GU had total rebounds as a team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know the odds favor Gonzaga, but I gotta go with Baylor.

NCAA Champions tend to always have the following:
  • A bucket-getting guard
    • Jared Butler and MaCio Teague both average 15 ppg+.
  • A balance between strong offense and defense
    • KenPom 3rd in O, 1st in D.
    • Mark Vital might be the best defensive player in the country who can legit guard 1-5.
    • Davion Mitchell might be the best defensive guard in the country.
  • A veteran team, especially in the backcourt
    • Their starting lineup has two seniors, two juniors and a sophomore
    • Their three starting guards consist of two juniors and a senior.
  • An ability to produce offense in the half court when the game slows down
    • Baylor's tempo is 152nd, so not a big adjustment needed in March.
  • An X-Factor who isn't a leading scorer but has the ability to play up on any given night
    • Both shooting guard Adam Flagler and Tyler Polley-clone Matthew Mayer average under 10 ppg, but also shoot 43% from 3.
Why I'm NOT picking Gonzaga:
  • I like Timme, but I'm not crazy about their frontcourt depth. Watson is good, but isn't a big and neither Ballo/Gregg/Zakharov are reliable (all under 9 mpg).
  • I love Suggs, but I prefer my backcourt more battle tested, both in experience and SOS.
  • How will Gonzaga respond to slower paced games? (7th in tempo).
  • Their defense is Gonzaga good, but not elite (12th overall).
Would like to hear your thoughts on actual basketball teams (not covid, please).
Except for the pace of the opening 11 minutes or so (hah), this post aged quite quite well.

And having the UConn Women prevent a Final Four double appearance made it so much easier to appreciate and enjoy Baylor's superiority on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
This is a lot different though and it may just come down to timing. Conferences are going to have tournaments and some teams are going to find out they need to quarantine. Right now UConn is in a modified quarantine because one official at a single game tested positive. 68 teams coming out of conference tournaments. Some teams are going to have to bail unless they significantly modify the protocols.
No it actually wasn’t. Like I said the Covid people will try to dump on everything and be wrong as usual. Another sport crowns a champion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom