Who's the top women's player of the year candidate in every conference? | The Boneyard

Who's the top women's player of the year candidate in every conference?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
32 players will soon earn conference player of the year honors, recognized as the most influential players in their own basketball kingdoms.

So as conference tournaments open as early as Sunday -- and the women's NCAA tournament tips off March 20 -- we handicap the player of the year races in all 32 Division I conferences.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting, no love for Northwestern or Maryland players in the Big 10. Also Missouri St. in the MVC.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Arella Guirantes is my B1G POY. Leads the B1G in scoring, and shows up in the top 15 in 9 stat categories.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arella Guirantes is my B1G POY. Leads the B1G in scoring, and shows up in the top 15 in 9 stat categories.

I don't see it. Naz Hillmon is Top 5 in scoring, rebounding and FG%. She isn't gonna win it. Michigan and Rutgers are tied, way out of the conference race. If a player's team isn't at or near the top of the conference, then the individual stats better be really eye popping. Kamaria McDaniel (who?) is .3 ppg behind Guirantes in scoring, should she be a candidate? This should come down to Doyle and Pulliam, both of who are only a little behind Guirantes in scoring and have led their teams to much better seasons.

Reaction Score
NAU's Khiarica Rasheed is considered the leader for Big Sky player of the year. As an under sized 4 she leads the conference in scoring in and is in the top five in rebounds and FG percent.

She is the Big Sky's poor Man's Gabby Williams. She jumps center for the Jacks, plays all over the court and for her size makes a tremendous impact for the team.

A junior she was all Big Sky her freshman and sophomore years.

Web_Rasheed_POTW.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see it. Naz Hillmon is Top 5 in scoring, rebounding and FG%. She isn't gonna win it. Michigan and Rutgers are tied, way out of the conference race. If a player's team isn't at or near the top of the conference, then the individual stats better be really eye popping. Kamaria McDaniel (who?) is .3 ppg behind Guirantes in scoring, should she be a candidate? This should come down to Doyle and Pulliam, both of who are only a little behind Guirantes in scoring and have led their teams to much better seasons.
I was surprised ESPN didn't mention Pulliam. I think she is having a POY season. Kaila Charles was the preseason POY. Her very slow start to the season and Maryland's ability to spread the wealth around with Jones, Austin, Mikesell and Owusu hurt her chances.

Reaction Score
I was surprised ESPN didn't mention Pulliam. I think she is having a POY season. Kaila Charles was the preseason POY. Her very slow start to the season and Maryland's ability to spread the wealth around with Jones, Austin, Mikesell and Owusu hurt her chances.
Pulliam is shooting 39.2% from the field and had 1/10 and 1/13 shooting games recently in conference. Doyle is shooting 45.1% from the field. I don't like the practice of giving MVP awards to volume shooters whose teammates have covered for them during their poor shooting games.

My pick at this point would be Doyle for what she more consistently brings to the floor for her team.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom