Who's the coach for Calhouns suspended games | The Boneyard

Who's the coach for Calhouns suspended games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Should the Associate Head coach automatically get the bill though? Maybe that's (another reason) why LaFleur left. Why not give a chance to the real future, Ollie?

Reaction Score
Should the Associate Head coach automatically get the bill though? Maybe that's (another reason) why LaFleur left. Why not give a chance to the real future, Ollie?

Exactly, it would be great for Ollie to get a few games of experience of being the man.

Reaction Score
I sure as heck hope it's Ollie.
It will be George, but George seems to listen to the others a bit more. We would have never known about a few kids but for for him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Blaney will coach.

Honestly, coaching a few games doesn't mean . Ollie has been a coach on the floor his whole life. That's the easiest transition for him to make. It's running the whole show that matters. Hopefully JC will transition the day to day running of the program over to Ollie before he leaves (I expect he will) .

Reaction Score
I sure as heck hope it's Ollie.
The suspension is for regular season games isn't it? If it is it really doesn't matter against the cupcakes we will be playing at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Blaney's had a lot of success replacing JC over the years. But, because the 1st three games are vs weak BE teams, it might be prudent to give Ollie some head coaching experience, especially if some of these games get out of hand, scorewise, in favor of UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's for the first 3 BE games: USF, SJU and SH. Not a bad draw for us, obviously.

I used to like it when Blaney coached (which usually occurred because of JC's annual diarrhea incident -- let's just be frank about why he misses at least 1 game a year), because he would give guys in JC's doghouse a shot. Remember, Marcus White might never have cracked the rotation but for Blaney giving him a chance.

That said, when JC took his "break" a couple seasons ago, I got a big enough sampling size of Blaney's coaching to conclude that I don't want him coaching any big games anymore. I know that team was probably not much joy to work with, but I found several of his decisions baffling.

I LOVE that Blaney is on the staff. He's been an invaluable asset for years. And I guess it would be hard to hand someone else the reins without it looking like an insult to Blaney. But I'd love to figure out a way how. More for long term reasons.

Reaction Score
There is barely anything for Ollie to gain in these 3 games, with a lot to lose in terms of people's perception of him as a coach. Like it or not, people would judge him on this small sample, and if that is your successor then it's just dumb to throw him out there in the middle of the season like that.

He's getting plenty of experience already without being "The Guy" which is the best situation for him. If he ever ends up being coach he should get to do it on his own terms, with his own team, starting a new season.

Blaney is the associate, he's used to stuff like this, and there's no doubt in my mind he coaches these games.

Reaction Score
Any competent person who knows basketball can coach a game. It will be Blaney and it doesn't matter. The good coaches are good because of what they do preseason and between games in developing their teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom