Who's Number 1 ??????? | The Boneyard

Who's Number 1 ???????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive watched a bunch of games over the past couple of weeks and I dont think there is a clear cut front runner for number 1. There are a bunch of teams that could win it all but not one head and shoulders better then any other team. Every team has its flaws. I watched team execution, defense, offense, go to players, bench players, etc and no team seems to have the consistency and chemistry to play 40 minutes in every game.

At this point in the season I think we look for improvement and development of teams. Good coaches know their teams/players weakness's and they will work to correct those. Some of the games I watched yesterday I saw offenses just run down the court and make layups and in many cases miss layups when almost totally unguarded. I watched players miss wide open shots badly. I watched freshman make ill advised passes, take shots they shouldnt have, foul where it wasnt necessary. I watched veteran teams with experience lose and teams will a bunch of underclassman win. Those two things will change as the season goes on. If they dont change it will catch up with them.

So when the polls come out each and every week understand they are the pollsters opinion just like when you post who you think the top teams are that is your opinon. We all have different opinions of who is number 1 in any given week. There are alot of things that the top teams must have that the others dont have. Team ball, poise, Chemistry continunity, confidence, coaching, consistency on both sides of the ball, a go do player(s). Freshman may be good and get alot of playtime however remember they are freshman and will fall back into their comfort zone when enough pressure is put on them. All freshman need time to be developed which will allow them to play within their teams system without having to think, just react. They may be able to play their position however when playing against more experienced college players and in the heat of the moment they will falter because of lack of experience and confidence.

So over then next few weeks I will look at how teams execute and player/team development. I will look for team balance in scoring rebounding and defense. For UConn I look for Anna to shoot more and look for her shot. I look for everybody to take a second when shooting layups and focus on making their layups and not rushing them for fear of having them blocked or being fouled. I look for Griff to score and have a scorers mentality I look for Liv to go strong to the hoop. Kyla needs to shoot when shes open. If we work on those things I think we will be fine. We know our future is bright and we cant wait for the next few years as we will be loaded with talent however it is this year and this year we need to get better in order to win a NC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Today? When the poll comes out? I'm guessing S. Carolina.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Baylor is my #1 right now. With a healthy Cox in the lineup, the Lady Bears look like the team to beat.

Reaction Score
Ive watched a bunch of games over the past couple of weeks and I dont think there is a clear cut front runner for number 1. There are a bunch of teams that could win it all but not one head and shoulders better then any other team. Every team has its flaws. I watched team execution, defense, offense, go to players, bench players, etc and no team seems to have the consistency and chemistry to play 40 minutes in every game.

At this point in the season I think we look for improvement and development of teams. Good coaches know their teams/players weakness's and they will work to correct those. Some of the games I watched yesterday I saw offenses just run down the court and make layups and in many cases miss layups when almost totally unguarded. I watched players miss wide open shots badly. I watched freshman make ill advised passes, take shots they shouldnt have, foul where it wasnt necessary. I watched veteran teams with experience lose and teams will a bunch of underclassman win. Those two things will change as the season goes on. If they dont change it will catch up with them.

So when the polls come out each and every week understand they are the pollsters opinion just like when you post who you think the top teams are that is your opinon. We all have different opinions of who is number 1 in any given week. There are alot of things that the top teams must have that the others dont have. Team ball, poise, Chemistry continunity, confidence, coaching, consistency on both sides of the ball, a go do player(s). Freshman may be good and get alot of playtime however remember they are freshman and will fall back into their comfort zone when enough pressure is put on them. All freshman need time to be developed which will allow them to play within their teams system without having to think, just react. They may be able to play their position however when playing against more experienced college players and in the heat of the moment they will falter because of lack of experience and confidence.

So over then next few weeks I will look at how teams execute and player/team development. I will look for team balance in scoring rebounding and defense. For UConn I look for Anna to shoot more and look for her shot. I look for everybody to take a second when shooting layups and focus on making their layups and not rushing them for fear of having them blocked or being fouled. I look for Griff to score and have a scorers mentality I look for Liv to go strong to the hoop. Kyla needs to shoot when shes open. If we work on those things I think we will be fine. We know our future is bright and we cant wait for the next few years as we will be loaded with talent however it is this year and this year we need to get better in order to win a NC.
2 things, possible more, I totally agree with. Pollster are just people who watch a bit more BB than you or I. And the final paragraph. Ania, Griffin, Olivia, Irwin shoot more shoot accurately. Olivia has the toughest job on the team. She has to battle small players and big players often more than 2 at a time. Let us all give her THAT.
Geno knows Aubrey but does he KNOW Aubrey? Each human is different and few 2 the same things to motivate them one cookie does not fit all.
By April it shall all be fixed. Geno is a master at getting his teams to peak in April--that is what all coaches try to do and few can.

Reaction Score
Next year UConn will be the very young team with all the talent.....:cool:
I seriously doubt strongly that that will be Uconns PRINCIPAL competition.
With the load of talent coming in next year it will be a teaching year maybe a bit better with experienced Walker, Olivia, CW, Aubrey, Ania, that could be a formidable starting 5 even with very good Sophs on those teams. Add the outstanding new guys-if they hit the floor jogging (running later) there may be cause for concern on Baylor, USC, Stanford, etc we'll see!!

Reaction Score
I'm perfectly fine with South Carolina being #2. I don't see a downside to that.

It's not really all that important to anything that matters. The #1 seed and Greenville doesn't depend on being #1 in the polls.

Being #2 would be motivating, while being #1 might be distracting.

I'd rather face Miss State in a week where South Carolina ranked #2 than newly #1 for certain.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm perfectly fine with South Carolina being #2. I don't see a downside to that.

It's not really all that important to anything that matters. The #1 seed and Greenville doesn't depend on being #1 in the polls.

I'd rather face Miss State in a week where South Carolina ranked #2 than newly #1 for certain.
Astute rooster wisdom.....:cool:

Reaction Score

South Carolina is my number 1. Boston reminds me of Big TEE, not as tall but same physically. Boston appears more dominate as she develops under Dawn. Boston is the difference maker in my opinion.

Reaction Score
South Carolina. The scary thing is that Stanford and South Carolina are very young teams, and could constitute #1 and #2 for the next three years. They'll be out principal competition for a long time.
Surely you mean #2 and #3 for the next 3 years! Paige B has my back on that:)

Reaction Score
Baylor, South Carolina, Oregon, UCONN, Oregon State, Stanford, Louisville.

Reaction Score
No. 1 this year is meaningless. UConn, Baylor and South Carolina will mostly be playing a gimme schedule while perhaps better teams in PAC-12 eat each other up.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn still has to play So Carolina and Oregon as well as an improving Lady Vols. Not quite a Gimme schedule.

No. 1 this year is meaningless. UConn, Baylor and South Carolina will mostly be playing a gimme schedule while perhaps better teams in PAC-12 eat each other up.

Reaction Score
Baylor is my #1 right now. With a healthy Cox in the lineup, the Lady Bears look like the team to beat.

Talk about deja vu. Last year when Baylor bear-handled the Huskies down there, I wrote that the Bears were the best team I'd seen--by far. Ditto this year. If you're the betting sort (and Cox is healthy), pick Baylor to go all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom