Who's dumber than Mike DiMauro? | The Boneyard

Who's dumber than Mike DiMauro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone with a clue doesn't write this:

But here we are, Feb. 20, and the UConn women are a pretender. Period. This season has been more failure than success, based on the following: the aforementioned home losses, the alarming regression of freshman Breanna Stewart and the general lack of anything productive in big games from Caroline Doty.

The best you can say about the guy is that he was trying to be a provacateur. Close losses to the other best teams in the country (especially after destroying two teams ranked right below) makes a squad a contender. And trying to back up the statement up by jumping on the 9th best player on the team is ever dumber. More failures than successes more accurately applies to his columns.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Do you expect the raising of hands to answer your question?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Reminds me of when the program was profiled on 60 Minutes in 2004.

Geno [with a big grin]: "In 1998 we had a bad year. We went 34-3."

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
hind sight 20/20?

What is dumb is finalization of evaluation before the season is over...he just does not understand the development that characterizes team sports, no less young athletes. He should run 10 laps for that bleating(image that one).

Reaction Score
well, i do not think that when he wrote that back in Feb that his assessment of the team, considering what the expectations of the team were going into the season, were not that far off base.. but seeing that you just posted this after we won the title, kinda smells of hind sight being 20/20

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

But here we are, Feb. 20, and the UConn women are a pretender. Period. This season has been more failure than success, based on the following: the aforementioned home losses, the alarming regression of freshman Breanna Stewart and the general lack of anything productive in big games from Caroline Doty.

The best you can say about the guy is that he was trying to be a provacateur. Close losses to the other best teams in the country (especially after destroying two teams ranked right below) makes a squad a contender. And trying to back up the statement up by jumping on the 9th best player on the team is ever dumber. More failures than successes more accurately applies to his columns.
You misjudge Mikey's role. It is not to be an intelligent conduit of lucid WCBB thought. It is to be the mojo-nurishing whipping boy for Husky fans. Every year that he dives the deepest into asininity, the Huskies win an NC. We should each be contributing a healthy portion of our earnings to the superjohn of a shrine in his honor. Keep him spewing his alrms for the next few years so that the Huskies can have big heaps of successful failures like in 2013.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
well, i do not think that when he wrote that back in Feb that his assessment of the team, considering what the expectations of the team were going into the season, were not that far off base.. but seeing that you just posted this after we won the title, kinda smells of hind sight being 20/20
Sorry, you clearly do not know Mikey's style. If this was some wet-behind-the-ears young journalist making a once-in-a-lifetime bonehead premature pronouncement or a Kate Fagan hitting the wrong key and picking KY over UConn in the ESPN E-8 picks, we would say it's an honest mess-up. But Mikey does this crap all the time just to flame-off the Husky fans so that he can cop some publicity and point to his spiking article-hits numbers.

In 2003 after the Husky 70-game winning streak ended in the BET to Nova, he was gloating up to his lower lip in that creek he was standing in with an article about the UConn frauds as he put the finishing denigrating touch on the "rubble" of a season for a profoundly flawed team with "too many freshman" in a game that showed the "most ghastly absurd evidence of the fantasy that is UConn' women basketball." Wow, stomach that.

That was the team's one loss for the season, and after having Mikey write the epitaph for the sham artists, the Huskies ran off to 6 wins to end the year and take the NC. This year's "too many freshman" team also lost a big BET game, but it had 4 losses, so you know Mikey had to pump up the vitriol.

Anyway, reading any of his words on Husky WCBB gives me a queasy feeling, but Nan does have links to a lot of other columnists who actually do have something worthwhile to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the concensus opinion is that he's a jerk. Got it.

(oh and by jerk, I actually meant a work that rhymes with quick)

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Uhhhh...Clay Kallum, mebbe?

..Sally Jenkins, whomever it was that selected last night's anthem singer, a fair percentage of regular checkerboard square posters..

Confession here: I've met Mike, and I like him. Don't know him at all well, but, my one impression was fine. He does like to rattle the cage, true, and he sure isn't always right, but..consider that Geno seems to have found him tolerable for all the many, many years he's been part of the horde, he must have some redeeming qualities. Mike was even a guest on the Geno show in 2011.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
DiMauro said in his column from Feb that both Baylor and ND were beatable but that Stewart and Doty needed to do more.

So, what happened? Stewart started playing like the player we all expected her to be. Geno said he had a meeting with the guards and asked all of them to give up some things (be a little less selfish). Doty and the other guards played better in the tournament than they had all year. There were other factors but those two seemed to be the most important in the team's championship run.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, at minimum at he had no future insight into the team...his words had the quality of a weather forecast based on opening the front window and prognosticating.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

And in answer to the thread's title question, it puts me between a rock and a hard place, but I'll go with the rock.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

At the time, his comments were largely correct.

At the time, his comments were NOT largely correct. At no time this season was this team not a contender. While they had some late game difficulty, that didn't change the fact that they competed well and never looked overmatched for an entire game against the iron. The lost close games eith a team ful of underclassmen. You add that to the fact that Geno is in the HOF for a reason and you have what you call a contender. Period.

I posted this is in response today is because his sockpuppet wrote back then, "time will tell." Drove me crazy, such a lame hedge. Whether or not they won the whole thing, the fact remains that on 2/20/13, they were a contender. The fact the won the the NC in six straight blowout games, starting just a month later, makes it look even lamer, in hindsight.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
DiMauro said in his column from Feb that both Baylor and ND were beatable but that Stewart and Doty needed to do more.

So, what happened? Stewart started playing like the player we all expected her to be. Geno said he had a meeting with the guards and asked all of them to give up some things (be a little less selfish). Doty and the other guards played better in the tournament than they had all year. There were other factors but those two seemed to be the most important in the team's championship run.
Those are indeed insights of incredible worth that only MD could have come up with. Stewie needed to get back to her early season prowess instead of the 5-9-6-0-2-5 points performances in 6 of her recent games at that point. Doty's 1.8 ppg average during the tourney and 8.5 minutes per game in the last four contests was definitely a key factor for the Huskies winning the NC (love my avatar star, but she's not one of the main cogs on the floor in this run.)

So Mikey mentions some of "the sun will set tomorrow" type ideas and that means he has a clue? Think I'll set up a shingle for full time WCBB writing. I'm saying that a team from one of the contiguous 48 states will win the NC next year. Sorry, all you Alaska-Anchorage fans, I'm counting you out.

Reaction Score
Sorry, you clearly do not know Mikey's style. If this was some wet-behind-the-ears young journalist making a once-in-a-lifetime bonehead premature pronouncement or a Kate Fagan hitting the wrong key and picking KY over UConn in the ESPN E-8 picks, we would say it's an honest mess-up. But Mikey does this crap all the time just to flame-off the Husky fans so that he can cop some publicity and point to his spiking article-hits numbers.

In 2003 after the Husky 70-game winning streak ended in the BET to Nova, he was gloating up to his lower lip in that creek he was standing in with an article about the UConn frauds as he put the finishing denigrating touch on the "rubble" of a season for a profoundly flawed team with "too many freshman" in a game that showed the "most ghastly absurd evidence of the fantasy that is UConn' women basketball." Wow, stomach that.

That was the team's one loss for the season, and after having Mikey write the epitaph for the sham artists, the Huskies ran off to 6 wins to end the year and take the NC. This year's "too many freshman" team also lost a big BET game, but it had 4 losses, so you know Mikey had to pump up the vitriol.

Anyway, reading any of his words on Husky WCBB gives me a queasy feeling, but Nan does have links to a lot of other columnists who actually do have something worthwhile to say.

i actually do know Mike's style, i grew up in New London county so i quite familiar with it. I think he does a good job most of the time, however i am not going to slam him for that particular article, and for that particular observation, especially after we just won a title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom