Who's doing the scoring? | The Boneyard

Who's doing the scoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nope, regrettably, this isn't a thread about Arizona coeds. I have been curious who is going to be doing the scoring for UConn this year given the amount of points per game we lost. Between Hamilton, Gibbs and Miller alone UConn lost around 37 pts per game. UConn averaged 67/game last year while playing excellent defense. Where is our scoring going to come from? We all think we will get a decent bump from Jalen. Purvis should be Purvis and maybe more. Could we expect more than maybe 5 or 6 from Gilbert? Larrier you would think would be something of a focus and improve on his 6.6 average at VCU.
Last year in ( ). In the case of Larrier last year he played.

Adams: 12 pts (7.3)
Purvis: 15 pts (12.8) I would guess would be our primary scorer.
Larrier: 10 pts (6.6) Maybe the hype is warranted and he goes for 15?
Brimah: 7 pts (6.5)
Facey: 3 pts (3.1)
Enoch: 4 pts (1.6) could we expect more?
Gilbert: 5 pts we are hyping him because we love him already but is this more realistic?
Jackson: 4 pts can he hit a three here and there?
Diarra: 3 pts sounds about right, helps us with 4-5 boards though.
Vital: 4 pts maybe overstated?
Durham: ???? Averaged 22 his last year of organized basketball. Could be a big factor, or a 5-6 pt guy.

That's 67. I'm sure I am overselling somebody (Vital or Jackson) and underselling others (Larrier). I'm hoping our defense is a trademark again.

Edited to add: I didn't add any points for Durham into the 67 total.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope, regrettably, this isn't a thread about Arizona coeds. I have been curious who is going to be doing the scoring for UConn this year given the amount of points per game we lost. Between Hamilton, Gibbs and Miller alone UConn lost around 37 pts per game. UConn averaged 67/game last year while playing excellent defense. Where is our scoring going to come from? We all think we will get a decent bump from Jalen. Purvis should be Purvis and maybe more. Could we expect more than maybe 5 or 6 from Gilbert? Larrier you would think would be something of a focus and improve on his 6.6 average at VCU.

Adams: 12 pts (7.3)
Purvis: 15 pts (12.8) I would guess would be our primary scorer.
Larrier: 10 pts (6.6) Maybe the hype is warranted and he goes for 15?
Brimah: 7 pts (6.5)
Facey: 3 pts (3.1)
Enoch: 4 pts (1.6) could we expect more?
Gilbert: 5 pts we are hyping him because we love him already but is this more realistic?
Jackson: 4 pts can he hit a three here and there?
Diarra: 3 pts sounds about right, helps us with 4-5 boards though.
Vital: 4 pts maybe overstated?
Durham: ???? Averaged 22 his last year of organized basketball. Could be a big factor, or a 5-6 pt guy.

That's 67. I'm sure I am overselling somebody (Vital or Jackson) and underselling others (Larrier). I'm hoping our defense is a trademark again.
If our front court of facey, brings, and larrier barely average 20 we are in trouble.

I say

Adams: 14
Purvis: 17
Larrier: 11
Facey: 8
Brimah: 6

Gilbert: 6
Enoch: 6(expect him to play better as the year goes on and be starting by the tournament)
Jackson: 4
Vital: 3
Diarra: 3
Durham: 4

Reaction Score
Larrier, Purvis, and Adams will do the bulk of the scoring. I'd guess they'll average between 40-45 PPG.
Brimah ~ 7
Facey ~ 5
Enoch ~ 5
Gilbert ~ 6
Jackson ~ 5
Diarra ~ 3
Vital ~ 3
Durham ~5

Reaction Score
Brimah will average 10
Purvis 15
Adams 10
Facey 5
Gilbert 8
Larrier 7
Jackson 6
Enoch 6
That's 67 plus whatever else we get but these averages are meaningless because the question is what are the averages against top flight competition? That I can't even guess because we can score 95 against Central and 52 against someone else. Time tells.

Reaction Score
Brimah will average 10
Purvis 15
Adams 10
Facey 5
Gilbert 8
Larrier 7
Jackson 6
Enoch 6
That's 67 plus whatever else we get but these averages are meaningless because the question is what are the averages against top flight competition? That I can't even guess because we can score 95 against Central and 52 against someone else. Time tells.
THIS^^^

Averages against infertile comp is irrelevant. Purvis is the only one whose proven he can score against top flight defense

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If we want to have a successful season, the reality is that Adams, Purvis and Larrier will need to be our top 3 scorers on the year (not in that order necessarily).

If that turns out to not be true, then I think the team may struggle to close out games.

Reaction Score
The averages may work out as you forecast, but I see isolated big scoring performances from several players followed by disappearing acts in the next game based on the way the games flow. I don't think we have any player that has to score 15 for us to win. Per Jalen Adams mix tape from last year, he was matching career highs of 14 points well into the season but then also scored 22 and you site 7.3 as the avg. You give me a game where the guards can run and I'll give you 20 pts by Gilbert, or Adams, or Purvis, or Larrier. You give me a defense that tries to extend to the 3pt line, and Adams and Gilbert will get to the rim or lob the ball high to Brimah/Enoch/Durham and they'll get points. A defense that collapses and Jackson can be our weapon, (remember he hit more than 6 threes or more in a game 8 times last year as I recall). I bet he hits 4 threes in at least 6 games. I also recall stats on Gilbert's high school website showing he was a 50% 3 point shooter on a large number of attempts over his whole career in high school, (although I haven't been able to refind that page, it was posted in his thread at the time). Posters have hoped Adams deep shooting improves and noted year end improvement, but I think he was a proficient, (>40%), at Brewster and that the early part of the season was the anomaly. (I will confirm that with the Brewster coaches when I watch Makai this season), I think a healthy Durham will score big at times where he can catch at the foul line, receive assists low, or tip in misses. Diarra will contribute as the designated rebounder, but he gets fouled a lot playing warrior ball. He may only get 1-2 baskets on put backs or as recipient of assists, but there may be a couple games he gets 6-10 trips to the line. I don't expect significant consistent scoring from the front court but different players will have their day.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It should be interesting to see where the points come from. I hope that KO, Jalen, and Rique will really have the ball moving and the team develops a pass first attitude. Rodney is much more effective when he gets the ball when he is open to shoot or has a lane to drive. Once again, I'm not sure we have one "go to" guy when we need a bucket with time running down, although I would expect the ball to be in Jalen's hands to make something happen. The 2016 Terry Larrier is a big X-factor. Will it take him a while to get the game rust off? UConn needs him to contribute in multiple ways and I hope he doesn't fall in love with the 3-point shot.

I would guess that Gilbert is the most likely to score more than people above have predicted. When he comes in, we will need him to make things happen and he won't be shy about getting points if that is what is needed. Durham could score some more if KO makes a point of running plays for him to get the ball in the paint.

I would love to see someone make an unexpected quantum leap in their game....this would seem to come from the big guys group and I guess Enoch is the best bet. I have wondered if Diarra might make more of a splash in the early going if he is the one guy who can compete on the boards against strong opponent front lines. At this point, I would mostly hope that Amida and Kentan play to their strengths and don't try to do too much. Facey could benefit from some Adrien/Freeman attitude if he could play more aggressively without fouling out in 10 minutes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The averages may work out as you forecast, but I see isolated big scoring performances from several players followed by disappearing acts in the next game based on the way the games flow. I don't think we have any player that has to score 15 for us to win. Per Jalen Adams mix tape from last year, he was matching career highs of 14 points well into the season but then also scored 22 and you site 7.3 as the avg. You give me a game where the guards can run and I'll give you 20 pts by Gilbert, or Adams, or Purvis, or Larrier. You give me a defense that tries to extend to the 3pt line, and Adams and Gilbert will get to the rim or lob the ball high to Brimah/Enoch/Durham and they'll get points. A defense that collapses and Jackson can be our weapon, (remember he hit more than 6 threes or more in a game 8 times last year as I recall). I bet he hits 4 threes in at least 6 games. I also recall stats on Gilbert's high school website showing he was a 50% 3 point shooter on a large number of attempts over his whole career in high school, (although I haven't been able to refind that page, it was posted in his thread at the time). Posters have hoped Adams deep shooting improves and noted year end improvement, but I think he was a proficient, (>40%), at Brewster and that the early part of the season was the anomaly. (I will confirm that with the Brewster coaches when I watch Makai this season), I think a healthy Durham will score big at times where he can catch at the foul line, receive assists low, or tip in misses. Diarra will contribute as the designated rebounder, but he gets fouled a lot playing warrior ball. He may only get 1-2 baskets on put backs or as recipient of assists, but there may be a couple games he gets 6-10 trips to the line. I don't expect significant consistent scoring from the front court but different players will have their day.
Like the analysis. We need an inside/outside game and the defenses will test this. If we cannot score inside with Brimah, Facey and Enoch we may see more Durham. From what others on the BY have said we now have a number of new good outside shooters as you mentioned above. Looks like we have better weapons on offense but
lack some experience and possible chemistry. I expect to see a lot of experiments as the defense starts testing us. Only time will tell who will step up with consistency and make
the defenses pay. One thing also; we will have some ballhandlers this year and I don't expect to see that stagnation in the half court game. If the defense over plays I expect that they will be paying for it. If Durham is healthy he could be a key. Sounds like a kid who could catch on very quickly with basketball IQ. Going to be exciting watching the blend of youth mixing in; especially AG (ball handling and shooting) and Durham. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
and who will do post-game interview videobombing? Everyone thinks about losing Hamilton and Bunky, but replacing Nolan wont be easy...

Reaction Score

Lets ask this from another perspective - who's getting the minutes? Minutes, more than anything else, will decide the scoring.

200 minutes a game - how do they get divided up?

Adams 30
Gilbert 25
Purvis 28
Vitale 4
Terry 28
Vance 6
Kenton 14
Diara 14
Jawan 5
AB 28
Enoch 18

I'm making certain assumptions here - that Juwan is not red-shirted but is still eased in very gradually. That AB can stay out of foul trouble enough to get up to 28 per game. That Diara and Gilbert play well enough as freshmen to earn those minutes. That's basically an 8 man rotation with fill in time for 3 of the freshman. What's your guess? When you fill out this chart you also have to figure how many minutes each player plays at each position -

2016 Player-Minutes.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS