Who's Better? 2011 or 2012 Huskies? | The Boneyard

Who's Better? 2011 or 2012 Huskies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
At risk of...well, of a lot, I just wanted to poll the Boneyard and see what people thought about the following question: Is the 2012 Huskies team better than the 2011?

I haven't yet figured out how to put up voting buttons on a thread, but maybe it's better not to. If you vote one way or the other, please give me a little snippet as to why one of the teams would beat the other. I'm curious. Very very curious... (I'm pretty sure I know the answers from some of our regulars)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Agreed. 2012 for me also.

OLine: Worse
DLine: Slightly worse
But everything else seems much better, and a huge upgrade at QB helps a lot. Overall D is better. Overall O is better. Special teams is slightly worse (without Teggart). I think 2012 is slightly better...

Reaction Score
2012 hands down. I think if you look at all of the players across the board we're a very good team. We're pretty reasonably stacked across the board on defense, and we have good players on offense. Unfortunately I think the play calling this year has made it a closer comparison than it really is, but last season things seemed come together better after we started BE play, so hopefully that will continue.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Nobody has voted 2011 yet, which is how I thought this thread would go. Small sample size, but I'm guessing that it will continue to be the trend.

Which brings me to the ultimate point of this thread: for all the bitching that has gone on in the Boneyard about our coaches, the product is better now than it was a year ago. That's typically the sign of good coaching, especially when you lose some starters to the NFL (Reyes, Kash, Mike Ryan; although some didn't stay up there). I was hoping that some of the more vocal coach-haters would have chimed in on this question, so that I could get their take on it too...

Reaction Score
I think it's a wash. We're a bit better on D (though since the Joseph injury that is not longer certain), worse on the OL and thus in the running game, and a little bit better through the air.

In terms of results, we look like the same team. A touchdown worse that WMU both years (WMU is not as good overall this year), and a bit closer in the UB game (UB looks to be a bit better than last year). A close loss at home to a middling BCS conference team (ISU/NC State).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if they are better in 2012 and the schedule is easier - shouldn't have any problem improving on 5-7.

Reaction Score
At risk of...well, of a lot, I just wanted to poll the Boneyard and see what people thought about the following question: Is the 2012 Huskies team better than the 2011?

I haven't yet figured out how to put up voting buttons on a thread, but maybe it's better not to. If you vote one way or the other, please give me a little snippet as to why one of the teams would beat the other. I'm curious. Very very curious... (I'm pretty sure I know the answers from some of our regulars)
I honestly don't think it matters. Our expectations were higher for this team and that's what they are measured against. And that's why everyone is up in arms.

Last year was a bye. No quarterback (okay we had 3 to start the season), new coaching staff and minimal expectations. We went 5-7 and everyone was for the most part okay with that given all the facts.

Reaction Score
Can I wait until December to vote? Because if you ask me right now.....I see very little difference.

Reaction Score
Nobody has voted 2011 yet, which is how I thought this thread would go. Small sample size, but I'm guessing that it will continue to be the trend.

Which brings me to the ultimate point of this thread: for all the bitching that has gone on in the Boneyard about our coaches, the product is better now than it was a year ago. That's typically the sign of good coaching, especially when you lose some starters to the NFL (Reyes, Kash, Mike Ryan; although some didn't stay up there). I was hoping that some of the more vocal coach-haters would have chimed in on this question, so that I could get their take on it too...

Do you really think it's unreasonable to say either team? I don't see how this is a "hands down" type of question.

Special Teams - As great as Teggart was, I think this is a wash. I see little difference in the coverage and return games as well.

Offense - Improved passing game, worse running game, OL play still subpar. You can make an argument either way.

Defense - If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would've said hands down we're better this year. But the last 2 games have given me reason to pause.

I think it's about a wash, and gun to my head I'd say we're slightly better this year, but a lot could happen between now and Dec that could change my opinion. Not sure there's any point here to be made.

Reaction Score
12 slighlty- QB improvement, receiver hands and route running improvement, OL worse, running worse. D about the same, slight edge to 12.

pj

Reaction Score
Looking at the players you would think 2012 would be much better, that's why I was so optimistic (8-4, 9-3, chance for more) at the start of the season.

But the performance has looked exactly like 2011. I hope and pray it improves - I think it ought to - but it ought to have improved a lot more since camp opened than it has. We'll see. Right now it feels like a wash. If we finish 5-7 I'll be sorely disappointed.

Reaction Score
I think 2012 and I don't think it's close. As disappointed as I am with where we are right now, has anyone forgotten what we looked like at 2-3 at the same time last year? We were not really running any better than this at this time last year -- our running game got better when we started conference game. Our passing game is well ahead of where it was. And we had no defensive efforts that where anywhere near like what we've seen at times this year.

This year's team's "high" is much, much higher than what we had seen last year at the end of the OOC schedule. We just have to get to our highs more consistently.

Reaction Score
I think 2012 and I don't think it's close. As disappointed as I am with where we are right now, has anyone forgotten what we looked like at 2-3 at the same time last year? We were not really running any better than this at this time last year -- our running game got better when we started conference game. Our passing game is well ahead of where it was. And we had no defensive efforts that where anywhere near like what we've seen at times this year.

This year's team's "high" is much, much higher than what we had seen last year at the end of the OOC schedule. We just have to get to our highs more consistently.

I think that's a Grateful Dead song.

Reaction Score

Well, I mean....I guess. But this is why it's impossible to answer this question right now. You made a lot of assumptions about how this year's team will progress in conference play. If it progresses on a trajectory similar to last year, than we'll win 7 games. And if we don't, we'll win 5 again.

But I'll let you know for sure in December.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do you really think it's unreasonable to say either team? I don't see how this is a "hands down" type of question. I think it's about a wash, and gun to my head I'd say we're slightly better this year, but a lot could happen between now and Dec that could change my opinion. Not sure there's any point here to be made.

1) I don't think it's a "hands-down" thing, but I also don't see anyone else offering up reasons as to why 2011 would be a better team.

2) The only point that I wanted to make was that a consensus would be in favor of the 2012 team, whether it be only marginally or more noticeably. And improvement year-to-year is what I (and others) look for in our program and from our coach.

That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Not really a scientific study, just getting everyone's gut feel...

Reaction Score
1) I don't think it's a "hands-down" thing, but I also don't see anyone else offering up reasons as to why 2011 would be a better team.

2) The only point that I wanted to make was that a consensus would be in favor of the 2012 team, whether it be only marginally or more noticeably. And improvement year-to-year is what I (and others) look for in our program and from our coach.

That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Not really a scientific study, just getting everyone's gut feel...

OK. Then Judgement Day is December 2nd. Because if we don't finish with a better record than last year's team, with an absurdly easier schedule, then we can properly evaluate.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
OK. Then Judgement Day is December 2nd. Because if we don't finish with a better record than last year's team, with an absurdly easier schedule, then we can properly evaluate.

That's fair. I think that the team will need to show an improvement upon the 5-7 mark and get to a bowl game in order to consider this season a true improvement. No doubt about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom