Whoever is running the American | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Whoever is running the American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its more important to the AAC we look bad to other conferences than the AAC look good

Reaction Score
You're not wrong. But I don't think too many people outside of this conference are going to notice there's 4k or however many empty seats. Does anyone on the east coast comment on the MWC or Horizon League having empty seats? Not really. If having a sellout was important to the league, they'd lower prices. It's not, so they didn't.

In this case though, even if we don't care about perception or whatever, it sucks that there will most likely be empty seats tomorrow, when if they handled tickets in a way that makes sense it would be a sell out, and as many UConn fans as possible would get to go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's been a weird atmosphere. It's as if it's a preseason game for all the marbles. Small, loud crowd. It's still weird. Hope at least 13.5k tomorrow but highly unlikely.

Reaction Score
After UConn fans ran up the resale ticket prices for the NCAA Regional @ the Garden last year, I'm not sure why are people area suprised that those in the ticket selling business wouldn't try to maximize profits? They have no fan allegiance (UConn or otherwise). As Whaler surmises - they are gambling that UConn fans will pony up above market (not face) value.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Haven't you all figured out that HuskyFanDan is running the American?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
After UConn fans ran up the resale ticket prices for the NCAA Regional @ the Garden last year, I'm not sure why are people area suprised that those in the ticket selling business wouldn't try to maximize profits? They have no fan allegiance (UConn or otherwise).

Resale prices on a sold out event are different than watching a conference and it's official reseller butcher the market to the point UConn plays at home in front of 10k seats on two consecutive days.

You don't find it annoying 4k people missed out on the experience today because the American Athletic Conference is rigging the ticket market?

Reaction Score
Makes me have to ask this question: is the American Pilgrim Conference responsible for the cheap easy seat tickets that were sold? Thinking they put those up there to sell a bunch of tickets off the bat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Makes me have to ask this question: is the American Pilgrim Conference responsible for the cheap easy seat tickets that were sold? Thinking they put those up there to sell a bunch of tickets off the bat.

I'll give the writer's a layup.

The question is: Did the AAC use EASYSEAT to dump tickets on the secondary market as a seller for a flat fee or did they sell the tickets to EASYSEAT at a discount and the company profits from the increased demand?

Reaction Score
That "article should have started with: Step 1...send everyone who purchased a ticket an email telling them to pick up the tickets miles from the actual location. Make no effort to correct this error.

Reaction Score
You don't find it annoying 4k people missed out on the experience today because the American Athletic Conference is rigging the ticket market?

Annoyed - maybe, surprised - no.

No allegiances other than to dead presidents. (applies to conference, re-sellers and venue).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Annoyed - maybe, surprised - no.

No allegiances other than to dead presidents. (applies to conference, re-sellers and venue).

And you think it's in the conference's best financial interest to leave 10k seats empty for two UConn games? Maybe you are missing my point? I can respect an allegiance to money - if they could actually execute on that.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Easy Seat has a Plainville address.
My childhood hometown.
i have $8.00 tix bought on Thursday.
I win!!!

Reaction Score
And you think it's in the conference's best financial interest to leave 10k seats empty for two UConn games? Maybe you are missing my point? I can respect an allegiance to money - if they could actually execute on that.

I'm not missing your point @ all (or really arguing against it). I was only asking why anyone would be suprised. As strange as it sounds - I'm just not sure selling out was high on their list (I get it's counter intuitive).

Here is latest comment from Aresco:

"I'd say we're satisfied with attendance," Aresco said, just before the start of the UConn-Tulsa semfinal game on Saturday, when it looked as if about 12,000 were in the stands. "We knew if UConn advanced, it would be good. … We calibrated [prices] very carefully. We priced them lower than last year at Memphis, and much lower than at the Garden for the old Big East and the ACC tournament. There will always be people who say it's too expensive, but we'll certainly examine it every year."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-tickets-0315-20150314-story.html?track=rss

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not missing your point @ all. I was only asking why anyone would be suprised. As strange as it sounds - I'm just not sure selling out was high on their list (I get it's counter intuitive).

Here is latest comment from Aresco:

"I'd say we're satisfied with attendance," Aresco said, just before the start of the UConn-Tulsa semfinal game on Saturday, when it looked as if about 12,000 were in the stands. "We knew if UConn advanced, it would be good. … We calibrated [prices] very carefully. We priced them lower than last year at Memphis, and much lower than at the Garden for the old Big East and the ACC tournament. There will always be people who say it's too expensive, but we'll certainly examine it every year."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-tickets-0315-20150314-story.html?track=rss

It's more that I understand they can't maximize their revenue when they don't sell a quarter of their inventory today.

UConn has played 3 games. Those three games were played to 18k empty seats.

They can claim they calibrated ticket prices carefully. That doesn't mean they did it well.

Mike Aresco says all sorts of ridiculous things about this conference. Spoiler alert: they aren't always true. If he's really satisfied with the attendance he should be removed from the position at halftime tomorrow and replaced with HFD.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you want to defend the American on this ticket debacle just explain one thing:

What happens if UConn is the 5 seed and loses at 2pm on Friday afternoon.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's more that I understand they can't maximize their revenue when they don't sell a quarter of their inventory today.

UConn has played 3 games. Those three games were played to 18k empty seats.

They can claim they calibrated ticket prices carefully. That doesn't mean they did it well.

Mike Aresco says all sorts of ridiculous things about this conference. Spoiler alert: they aren't always true. If he's really satisfied with the attendance he should be removed from the position at halftime tomorrow and replaced with HFD.

You want to wait till halftime tomorrow?

Reaction Score
I expect the tourney next year in Florida will have tops a max. of 4-5,000 for any game. UCF and USF aren't sending fans to watch a blowout. The fact that they could have built some momentum for this conference in last two years yet failed to see that is the big problem here. They needed to make some of the seats, (especially early rounds) extremely affordable for the casual fan base. Get them hooked, get the seats filled.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pretty much any model that maximizes profit would maximize attendance.

As someone who marketed applications for hotel yield management, this is all you need to know.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I expect the tourney next year in Florida will have tops a max. of 4-5,000 for any game. UCF and USF aren't sending fans to watch a blowout. The fact that they could have built some momentum for this conference in last two years yet failed to see that is the big problem here. They needed to make some of the seats, (especially early rounds) extremely affordable for the casual fan base. Get them hooked, get the seats filled.

Florida is a hotbed for transplants. People likely won't travel well from the actual school metros, but Florida is home to many a UConn fan. Some of them are even 6'3 260.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Turns out these clowns might not be fit to run a conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom