Who y'all rooting for: Stanford or Tennessee? | The Boneyard

Who y'all rooting for: Stanford or Tennessee?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
On the one hand, there doesn't seem to be a team more despised around here than Tennessee, given all the history, the rivalry, Pat, etc. Sure, they haven't really challenged y'all since Candace Parker went 3-0 against you in 2005-2007, but the hate seems to run deep, deep, deep.

On the other hand, Stanford was the Huskies' lone loss between the start of Stewie's sophomore year in 2014 and the MSU upset in the final four upset in 2017 - what would have been a record-setting 153 game win streak. And Tara is still neck and neck with Geno for all-time wins by a D1 coach.

So: who y'all rooting for (or against!), and why?

Reaction Score
I always root the the lower seeded team ( AP poll), except
when they play UCONN. So... I go for TENN. If
Tenn becomes ranked above Stanford my opinion
changes. The theory : the more losses higher seeds
have the better for UCONN seeding for the NCAA
tournament.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, there doesn't seem to be a team more despised around here than Tennessee, given all the history, the rivalry, Pat, etc. Sure, they haven't really challenged y'all since Candace Parker went 3-0 against you in 2005-2007, but the hate seems to run deep, deep, deep.

On the other hand, Stanford was the Huskies' lone loss between the start of Stewie's sophomore year in 2014 and the MSU upset in the final four upset in 2017 - what would have been a record-setting 153 game win streak. And Tara is still neck and neck with Geno for all-time wins by a D1 coach.

So: who y'all rooting for (or against!), and why?
Stanford. I think this is one of those very few quality games (aka worth watching) that will have an impact on revealing who the better teams are as the season advances. Tennessee is at best (with Rae Burrel) a 12 - 14 seed and without 15-20. They definitely aren't the seventh best team in the country. The refs beat Texas and even their fans admitted that. Jordan Horston is a turnover Deamon and she gives up probably more than she scores. Each time I see her play...I can't believe she is the same player from U19 where she made offense look REALLY easy.

I hope your players are ready to be mugged in Tennessee. They call that defense. Key is tall and blocks shots, but...not consistent in any other category (incl rebounds) other than careless fouls, lash length and hair. Your bigs are mobile and she will not be able to handle them. They are ranked 7 because they haven't started losing yet. In any case, their fans feel pretty certain...that Stanford has an L coming their way. I admire their program, but their fan base is another thing.

Reaction Score
The vole fans think that wcbb now runs through Tennessee again when in reality the only thing running through tennessee these days is the tennessee river.:rolleyes: Not a big fan of Stanford but the voles need their comedownance.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I agree. But I feel like everyone who's not from little Carolina should be rooting for Stanford to take down the No. 1 Gamecocks. Stanford-Tennessee is a much more even, and therefore more interesting, matchup.
Good points.
Usually when I am watching a non UConn game, the team I am hoping wins, doesn't. For example, last night I was hoping NC State would win, but... and I always root against the Golden Domers, TN not so much.
I would have to go with Stanford over TN.

Reaction Score
Stanford can beat Tennessee like a drum and it won't bother me but it would really be nice if they'd take the trees to 7 OTs. :)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I have no ill will towards the Tennessee team or coaching staff.
Tara and her program have earned respect.

Thus the tie breaker: The Tenn. fans.

I wish them enduring heartburn and itching sensations in regions appropriate to anatomy (and more specifically, urology) textbooks.

GoCardinal!

Reaction Score
I'm not as totally anti Vols as some, maybe because I don't go where the often criticized Vols fans hang out. So...rooting for Stanford, just because.

Reaction Score
I hope they both lose.
Theoretically this could happen. One scenario would be a bench clearing brawl in a tie game and all players get ejected. Now to answer the question I am not saying that I want Tenn to win, it’s just that I want Stanford to lose.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The Tennessee fans hate us with a passion and will tear us down at any time if you listen to them. They think they should be in the top 5 because of their record. Except for Texas and USF, all the other teams have been cupcakes. Stanford is my choice to hammer them and bring them back to reality.

Reaction Score
I hope tennessee wins. cause we play tenn later so when we win, sos is better. if stanford wins, won’t positively impact us cause we don’t play them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My thoughts on Stanford are, hmmm, complicated.
  • On one hand, the Hull twins both remind me of former Domer Maddie Cable and we loved Maddie! Good. :D
  • Yet, Stanford beat said Maddie Cable in the NCAA's her senior year. (Darn you, Karlie!) Bad. :(
  • Stanford has had three (3!) grads end up in South Bend and the latest, Maya Dodson, is helping the Irish quite a bit. Thumbs up!:cool:
  • But the Farm (and the pandemic?) kept Lauren Betts from playing with her USA teammates Sonia Citron, Olivia Miles and KK Bransford at Notre Dame. (Yes, this is admittedly delusional but Betts and Citron seemed to get along so well in Europe). Bad :rolleyes: ;)
Still....Tennessee?
  • Michelle Marciniak left ND for Knoxville back in the day and we Domers remember that like a day of actual sunshine during the perma-cloud months of Nov. - March.
  • And Kellie Harper is recruiting in unusual places, like the Jersey Shore. What's Justine Pissott doing going to Knoxville? She's got ACC written all over her! Hrrumph. :eek:
  • Plus, I don't look good in orange....

Go Stanford!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom