Who would you ...? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who would you ...?

Reaction Score
Alex Louin-Villanova
Just realized only the first line of my comment actually posted. I picked Alex because she is a good solid player, not a superstar. There is enough star power on the team, but it could benefit from some solid everyday kids that can eat minutes without a huge drop off in performance.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If I knew Kelsey Mitchell would respond to Shea and Geno's coaching, she's the player I add. Talented player that has the ability to play defense and of course a great Offensive Talent. A more safer pick would be Kristine Anigwe of Cal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Absolutely except that she would negatively effect Pheesa and Gabby in spacing. Last year Wilson was much less effective with Coates than when she had the middle to herself Even though it screws up the backcourt, I'd take Ianescu

During the Dolson era, was spacing a problem then, or did the staff design offensive schemes that maximized the skills and athleticism of the starting unit? If Geno's offense was able to function at a high level with Dolson on the block, why couldn't he do it again with A'ja Wilson at the 5?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
During the Dolson era, was spacing a problem then, or did the staff design offensive schemes that maximized the skills and athleticism of the starting unit? If Geno's offense was able to function at a high level with Dolson on the block, why couldn't he do it again with A'ja Wilson at the 5?
Stef was a superb passer from the high post and she totally understood the offensive scheme. She hardly ever played in the low post. Geno explained that by saying that if she had played in the low post, teams would simply have doubled her and let Kelly Faris have any shot she wanted, and Stef would be shut down by the double-team. But in the high post, Stef could essentially assume point guard responsibilities and run the offense.

I don’t think that Azura, at this point in her development, has Stef’s passing skills or her floor vision. But I think she might reach that point somewhere in her UConn career.

Reaction Score
I have trouble thinking that she is an above average player. I have only seen her play in a few games, probably 5 or 6, so that might be a poor reason to judge her. In most of the games, if she didn't have the ball in her hands after bringing the ball up, she seemed to stay as far away from the ball as she could. Then if the player with the ball noticed her she would get the ball and take the shot. Plus in these games, most of the teams slacked way off of her. I think this was similar to how she played in the NC game. But what she did in the Baylor game, when it seemed like they had no clue on how to stop her, and of course the UConn game have defined her basketball abilities. IMO.
I'd hate to think Uconn defined Morgan's abilities. I must admit I too have seen her few times, but once I got past my bias, about her size and the Uconn loss, while watching her then: I was surprised how good I began to believe she was. But make no mistake I don't believe for one second--Morgan won that game alone---she had help from three place,: her teammates, her coach and Uconn.

Reaction Score
starting to wonder if AS is having that same effect to a smaller degree......clearly having a dominant post player is more of a positive then a negative but it does take time to correct spacing issues as UConn is finding out

Three teams created spacing issues for Uconn Tulane, Ms St, Ucla, maybe more. Luckily in the UCLA the 3's dropped--ok, it's not luck, but when they don't fall--pack it in on Uconn.74. 4

Whalen (sp) Minnesota / pro---went head to head with DT. Up to that time I never saw a fast playing PG, to me out of control nearly all the time. Yet she was effective and amazingly passed well to her mates. Moriah I believed in her from day one even as Geno sat her. Still do. Quick, and speedy, and attacked the basket like a running back--with the ball tucked in her arms. As of today, no comparison to Jordin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just realized only the first line of my comment actually posted. I picked Alex because she is a ygood solid player, not a superstar. There is enough star power on the team, but it could benefit from some solid everyday kids that can eat minutes without a huge drop off in performance.
That STAR power you allude to once were doing the grunt work for other STARS. The fact is Uconn isn't about STARS , although we make them so, it's about winning and development. The 3 frosh NOW on the bench may fill some of those slots voided by the STARS. Utility players are now sitting: Irwin and Bent, could be a Frosh or two. With Uconn you MUST develop by the end of your Soph year (Gabby) or you do a lot of sitting. As average players without STAR quality in BB some became Stars for fans: Doty, Dixon, Swanyea (sp), Faris, others. My emotional favorite, who would have shown brightly as a star, Britany Hunter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stef was a superb passer from the high post and she totally understood the offensive scheme. She hardly ever played in the low post. Geno explained that by saying that if she had played in the low post, teams would simply have doubled her and let Kelly Faris have any shot she wanted, and Stef would be shut down by the double-team. But in the high post, Stef could essentially assume point guard responsibilities and run the offense.

I don’t think that Azura, at this point in her development, has Stef’s passing skills or her floor vision. But I think she might reach that point somewhere in her UConn career.
Stef was also a pretty good shooter from the top of the key, to the point where you couldn’t really lay off her. Hopefully, Z will find a similar consistency with her outside shooting.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
As good as Wilson, Canada et al, are, it's shortsighted to choose a senior. I'd opt for a top flight freshman or sophomore, someone who can play more than one year at UConn. You guys can choose.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I would be very reluctant to pick Wilson. She would be great on the defensive end but once we turn to offense she would become a lumbering road block. If we didn't get a quick transition hoop we would be waiting for her to start the set instead of going right to the offense

Reaction Score
All of you doubting Wilson would be singing her praises if “we” had her. Don’t over analyze. Geno was recruiting her for a reason. He knows best.

Reaction Score
If I knew Kelsey Mitchell would respond to Shea and Geno's coaching, she's the player I add. Talented player that has the ability to play defense and of course a great Offensive Talent. A more safer pick would be Kristine Anigwe of Cal.
Kelsey Mitchell? The Carmelo Anthony of WCBB? The ball stops when it reaches her hands and everyone else just watches. She is a big no in my book. Not doubting her scoring talent but she is not a good fit.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All of you doubting Wilson would be singing her praises if “we” had her. Don’t over analyze. Geno was recruiting her for a reason. He knows best.
Geno was also recruiting Diamond DeShields, what say you about her and him?

Reaction Score
Geno was also recruiting Diamond DeShields, what say you about her and him?
Is tells me he believes in his ability to coach and the Uconn system. People were saying Aja would cause trouble with spacing as if Geno wouldn’t or didn’t have a plan for that.

Reaction Score
I love the players now on UCONN's roster, and if KSL, and Batouly can get healthy quickly there's no limit for this team!
McCarty of TX, William of MissSt., and Canada of UCLA are interesting parts to the recipe but both Crystal Dangerfield and Nurse are outstanding, and the G's on the roster I think will be +'s as they move along!
I differ greatly with most BYers as I am not a fan of Mitchell of the OSU, Aja Wilson, Or Russell of TN (or any TN player for that matter), or Turner at ND, to name the biggest names there are lesser players that also don't, IMHO, meet the UCONN standards!

Reaction Score
Turner brittle, Mitchell a leprechaun (you can not have her ball) Russell weak sauce. Aja A BEAST! She would fit!

Reaction Score
One thing to consider is if you had this additional player you desire, other players might not be at UConn. Ie..If UConn had Canada does Dangerfield come if she knows she is going to be behind Canada and not get meaningful minutes till her jr year? Geno doesn't platoon his PG's, he finds an elite one and gives them the keys their sophomore year on. Crystal currently has been handed the keys to a Ferrari for the next 3 years, just like Moriah was handed them. The roster has no other true PG's and none are coming till Crysatl's Sr year at the earliest, to potentially be the under study for a yr.

Reaction Score
AsI've watched Wilson over the last 3+ years I didn't see someone fitting in to the program. Maybe Geno could have reigned her in some but I just don't get the feeling that she was destined for UCONN. First directive would have been - put the hair up and stop playing with it every time down the court. Same for Canada - too much one against five for her and again I don't know if Geno's style would have aligned with that of Canada's. Happy with who we have but if I had to pick someone I'd take Tynice Martin from WVU.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As everyone picks their favorite they should also be picking who of the Husky starting 5 sits? Now, if we posit a 6th woman happy to be that, I''d take a big, maybe ND's transfer.

Reaction Score
Because the "talent cup" at UConn truly runneth over, I, like others, do not covet any other team's players to add to the current mix...as well as to the minutes distribution dilemma Geno already faces, especially once Lou and Batouley return to health. Having said that, if I were forced to pick just one, and because I love WCBB players that bring a certain attitude, and a certain swagger, I'd go for that Slocum kid that Brenda lost to Oregon State. She's a handful!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AsI've watched Wilson over the last 3+ years I didn't see someone fitting in to the program. Maybe Geno could have reigned her in some but I just don't get the feeling that she was destined for UCONN. First directive would have been - put the hair up and stop playing with it every time down the court. Same for Canada - too much one against five for her and again I don't know if Geno's style would have aligned with that of Canada's. Happy with who we have but if I had to pick someone I'd take Tynice Martin from WVU.
That's not a credible statement considering that over the past three years UCONN has had 2 and then 1 walkon player on the roster. I loved Tierney and Briana but I would have much rather have had A'Ja on the UCONN roster. It's not like UCONN players (eg, KLS and Meghan) have not had occasional issues with the hair thing. If A'ja and Jordan are playing with thier hair "every time down the court" and still managed to be AA caliber players no need for them to stop playing with hair IMO. I"m not sure how much help Tynice Martin would have been against Mississippi State but I know that A'ja played pretty well against MSU last year-3X.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Watching the UCLA game, I was very impressed with Canada. I saw some gaps/lapses in her game and wondered how good could she be if she had selected to play at UConn.
That started me thinking. If you could pick one NCAA player to add to the team, who would it be? Base your reasons on talent, attitude:chemistry, etc.
Thanks
There is one player that when I watch her her game screams UCONN-Megan Gustafson of Iowa. She a mobile big, solidly built, finishes on the block on offense and defends the low post very well.

Reaction Score
That's not a credible statement considering that over the past three years UCONN has had 2 and then 1 walkon player on the roster. I loved Tierney and Briana but I would have much rather have had A'Ja on the UCONN roster. It's not like UCONN players (eg, KLS and Meghan) have not had occasional issues with the hair thing. If A'ja and Jordan are playing with thier hair "every time down the court" and still managed to be AA caliber players no need for them to stop playing with hair IMO. I"m not sure how much help Tynice Martin would have been against Mississippi State but I know that A'ja played pretty well against MSU last year-3X.
Certainly entitled to your opinion but I'm just not a fan of Wilson and there's no proof that Wilson (nor Martin for that matter) would have made a difference in the MSU game; it's all conjecture. And with Wilson and the hair thing, it's not occasional - watch closely next time you get a chance and that one thing is not the differential for me, it's the way she carries herself and again it may be nitpicking but just my personal preference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Certainly entitled to your opinion but I'm just not a fan of Wilson and there's no proof that Wilson (nor Martin for that matter) would have made a difference in the MSU game; it's all conjecture. And with Wilson and the hair thing, it's not occasional - watch closely next time you get a chance and that one thing is not the differential for me, it's the way she carries herself and again it may be nitpicking but just my personal preference.
I do watch very close. A'ja does a tremendous job of representing WCBB, her University, State & family. My only personal preference,a regret really, is that she did not choose UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom