Who Won't Be Back This Year on SNY's UConn WBB Coverage??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Won't Be Back This Year on SNY's UConn WBB Coverage???

Reaction Score
Actually, that wishful thinking crossed my mind as well. I haven't heard anything about what Dave is doing now.
Dave O'Brien's latest gig is calling college football games for the new ESPN-owned ACC network. Between that and his role as the voice of the Boston Red Sox on NESN, you might say that all of that announcer's time is already "spoken" for. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm sorry Eric won't be back. He and Meg have been a great team, really good chemistry.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My cable system no loner carries SNY.

I m doomed.
There's always streaming with multiple ways to get ESPN3, as long as you get ESPN with your cable provider.
Multiple threads on this subject.

Reaction Score
It's my understanding that after this year one of the ESPN channels will start to carry the women's games. Maybe the cable company you are using will contract with them.

After this year UConn moves to the Big East and their games will primarily be on FS1, FS2, and CBS.

Reaction Score
According to their website, as of today, SNY will be broadcasting:
  • 15 live women's basketball games
  • Pre/Half/Post game shows
  • Features and updates in GEICO SportsNite
  • 10 Geno Auriemma Coach's Show
  • Season Preview Special
  • Season Review Special
  • Tournament Preview Special
  • UConn Women's All-Access
Also, the on-air cast of characters from the previous few years including Gary, Justine, Kara, and Meghan are listed on the SNY site. But Eric Frede is no longer listed as an SNY personality.

Say it ain't so...please, somebody, say it ain't so!

LINK To Schedule.
LINK To Talent.
Unfortunately, those of us with Frontier won’t be able to watch any SNY games.

Reaction Score
My cable system no loner carries SNY.

I m doomed.

If you're located in the tri-state area, (CT, NY, NJ...possible MA and others?) you may want to think about cutting the cable portion of your service and look into few live streaming services that do carry SNY. (see link below)

Note, this article is about a year and a half old...there may be other services also carrying SNY. Sling may be another.

Reaction Score
After this year UConn moves to the Big East and their games will primarily be on FS1, FS2, and CBS.
This remains to be seen. Fox may takeover T1 rights from ESPN, but I doubt Fox is going to invest the money to carry every game. Fox will likely claim a few conference games, the big out of conference home games, and hopefully the BE tourney. After that CBS will pick up a game or two as the T2 rights holder, and finally whatever's left can be picked up by SNY. Not sure how the T3 rights are set up in the BE (best if UConn owned them outright instead of the conference), but hopefully a deal can be made with SNY.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's my understanding that after this year one of the ESPN channels will start to carry the women's games. Maybe the cable company you are using will contract with them.
Don’t think so. The Big East is on the Fox networks mostly Fox Sports 1 in Fox Sports 2. If we get permission to broadcast them elsewhere, I would expect SNY to be the likely location.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hey, folks,
I Googled Eric Frede and unless I missed something, there is no mention of SNY or UConn Women's Basketball in his Wikipedia or other bios on line. Has there been an acrimonious parting of the ways here?
When I read this I thought “that can’t be right.“ But there’s really nothing since a charity breakfast with Meg in the Spring, not even activity on Twitter.

Reaction Score
This remains to be seen. Fox may takeover T1 rights from ESPN, but I doubt Fox is going to invest the money to carry every game. Fox will likely claim a few conference games, the big out of conference home games, and hopefully the BE tourney. After that CBS will pick up a game or two as the T2 rights holder, and finally whatever's left can be picked up by SNY. Not sure how the T3 rights are set up in the BE (best if UConn owned them outright instead of the conference), but hopefully a deal can be made with SNY.

The point I was making is that ESPN will be out of the picture after this year.

Reaction Score
They aren't though.

How do you figure? You think Fox spent 600 million to not broadcast arguably the biggest drawing women's team in the country? ESPN is going to air very few WCBB on linear TV going forward, they are pushing everything to ESPN+ and that was one of the main reasons why UConn left the AAC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you figure? You think Fox spent 600 million to not broadcast arguably the biggest drawing women's team in the country?
They're not spending $600 million for women's basketball. If they get anything out of women's basketball, then great, but UConn versus Creighton was not what they had in mind when they spent that money. When we go to South Bend or Louisville or South Carolina for example, those games will still be under ESPN's control. They would get the Baylor game in the years Kim wants to play us, and any of the other two or three bigger home games that we have each year. Otherwise someone else is going to need to pick up the 15-18 games that the big networks don't want. Hopefully SNY is still able to do that like they were when ESPN had tier 1 rights.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They're not spending $600 million for women's basketball. If they get anything out of women's basketball, then great, but UConn versus Creighton was not what they had in mind when they spent that money. When we go to South Bend or Louisville or South Carolina for example, those games will still be under ESPN's control. They would get the Baylor game in the years Kim wants to play us, and any of the other two or three bigger home games that we have each year. Otherwise someone else is going to need to pick up the 15-18 games that the big networks don't want. Hopefully SNY is still able to do that like they were when ESPN had tier 1 rights.
Last year I watched more Big East WCBB on Fox sports channels then any AAC on ESPN. Fox had as many as 8 games a week of Big East vs what 3 to 4 of AAC on ESPN. Fox would also have around 4 UConn games a year that weren't carried by ESPN. I believe that the Fox Sports channels will cover more UConn games then ESPN ever did and hopefully SNY will get the rest, shutting out the suits at ESPN.

Reaction Score
Is the Dayton game not being televised? Are we sure that the games on SNY will also be on ESPN3? As of right now they are not on the ESPN3 website.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Is the Dayton game not being televised? Are we sure that the games on SNY will also be on ESPN3? As of right now they are not on the ESPN3 website.

I just checked the Dayton WBB official website. It does not show this game being televised.
Here is a link to listen to the game if SNY does not pick it up.

I checked the A10 Conference website. They list the Dayton/UConn (Nov 26) being shown on ESPN+.

Programing note - The two exhibition games against Jefferson and Trevecca Nazarene will be available for purchase on CBS Sports Digital. CBS Sports digital partners with hundreds of schools and organizations across the country, aggregating their live video and audio streams and on-demand feature videos for SportsLive subscribers. For a complete list of current partners, visit the Programming Schedule and consult the All Partners drop down menu.

[LINK]

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom