• Duke

• North Carolina

• UConn

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the dude your opinion GIF
I agree, without injuries, UCONN would hold its own and THEN SOME in ANY Conference

Reaction Score
I agree that she is not going to select UCONN. If she was going to do that, I believe it would have already happened. I think she now looks at UCONN and sees that the post position is " crowded". ICE Brady is emerging as a talent, and Jana is perceived as a wild card, who might just be " surprisingly good." Likely Duke and UNC offer better opportunities for her to start as a freshman. Duke is probably the most attractive. Great coach
IMO she is an automatic start at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Whole lotta thoughts on this one -
  • What if she made the decision a while back, and Geno said, great, but just make sure?
  • What if this was always her final list, however went on visits to other schools to ensure her instincts were correct, that she wasn't missing anything?
  • Maybe LSU & SC were on her list until this week, for reasons we'll never know?
  • Perhaps she wanted to get through her HS season without any targeted (something) to her?
  • If it's UConn, maybe Geno said wait a bit, as if she declared, it would raise a whole host of other questions on the roster for next season, and the coaches have been holding this team together with duct tape, bubble gum, wishes, prayers, hopes, dreams, luck, and didn't want yet another distraction?
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time that an "official" list has been released.
Sure. I said I don't know. I am only making guesses. Sure what you say could be true. I don't know where she is going to go. Just posted where I thougth she'd go.

Reaction Score
Iowa is still going to bring excitement even with Clark gone next year?
I sure hope so as I've become a fan. I was going to Minneapolis when Iowa played there a couple of weeks ago against UM but it was sold out. I travel to Minneapolis-St Paul a couple of times per year. I may go in a couple of weeks. When I do, I'm going to take the 3.5 hr drive down to Iowa City and tour the campus. I have a hankering to also drive over to Des Moines. I've never been in the state of Iowa so I want to do that.

Used to pull for the Gophers in the B10 but now, I've moved over the Hawkeyes Bench.

Reaction Score
I read a few days ago that Paige is estimated to be pulling in about $650,000 a year from NIL. And she's done a lot of very good things for others with some of that money. It wouldn't shock me in the least if she were willing to give up her scholarship if that's what it took to put UConn on the inside track to the National Championship. It also wouldn't shock me in the least if Geno and Paige have already had a discussion on that possible contingency.
Guessing also that #1 recruits nowadays will have their own nils as they come in. Its going to be a way to circumvent the scholly caps . Need to hire financial planners.

Reaction Score
THE BIG EAST is the BIG EAST.... But... UCONN's OOC schedule is among the BEST. And... Those
pre-Conference tournaments are " mini- NCAA" events. Remember: UCLA, TEXAS,
North Carolina, The Gamecocks, The "IRISH", etc. Do you expect UCONN to play
a top 10 program every weekend? UCONN already plays a selection from the BEST of
those other conferences... don't you remember UCONN beating IOWA in an early season
game in 2022 - 2023?
Well, we do too, but we STILL have the conference teams to play and the SEC is tough on the road. So we get tough teams on the front end, the conference, then the NCAA tournament..It never ceases for us... UCONN gets a break in the middle with the conference schedule.

Reaction Score
THE BIG EAST is the BIG EAST.... But... UCONN's OOC schedule is among the BEST. And... Those
pre-Conference tournaments are " mini- NCAA" events. Remember: UCLA, TEXAS,
North Carolina, The Gamecocks, The "IRISH", etc. Do you expect UCONN to play
a top 10 program every weekend? UCONN already plays a selection from the BEST of
those other conferences... don't you remember UCONN beating IOWA in an early season
game in 2022 - 2023?
Are you aware that all caps online is the equivalent of screaming?

A strong conference schedule (such as the soon to be defunct Pac-10) is a much easier sell to recruits than a strong out of conference schedule. And the former does not preclude the latter.

Reaction Score
What Duke and Carolina have in common, aside from being in the ACC, is that they are very close to Fuquay-Varina. If she wants friends and family to be able to see her play and be able to run home to do laundry and get some of Mom's cooking both are great choices. Also two nice campuses and not a lot of winter to speak of. If these things are important to her then either school will be a good choice. NC State is even closer and has a good women's basketball program, but not the campus life of the other two, which may be why she looked (slightly) further afield.

Some kids want to get out of Dodge when choosing a college. If that's Sarah we are in luck. If Sarah wants to be a part of a great tradition, be buds with Geno and CD, win a lot of games, have a decent chance of winning s national championship and get a basketball education that directly translates to success in the WNBA, well that's UConn.

Ball is in Sarah's court.

Reaction Score
Yes they did, but it was a super herculean effort that Caitlin pulled off...Can she do it again? we'll see...I hope she does make it to the championship game against my Gamecocks....
I don’t disagree. But they’re currently ranked #2 this year, they aren’t necessarily seen as “underdogs” and having no shot at a NC, although I do feel they’re lacking pieces to get there

Reaction Score
This happened in one game, so how is this a pattern? This is a narrative that doesn't make sense to me. South Carolina has examples of well rounded student athletes, who are also continuing to do so since graduating.

Their freshies 2019 class had several on the team who excelled academically and off the court. Laeticia Amihere graduated with 2 degrees, was part of their Student Council (or it's equivalent), and ran charitable events in Africa in her spare time. Aliyah Boston has used her platform along with her mother to help educate other on various topics including financial literacy.

A'ja Wilson has used her challenges with dyslexia to help others see they can make it at the college level. She's currently using her platform to partner with companies like AT&T to small business owners succeed. Her best selling book is a great message for young women who are learning to build confidence in themselves.

Alisha Gray is using her AU platform this season to build awareness for defibrillators and CPR training on behalf of her team mate Naz Hillmon's brother's charity, similar to what Tina Charles has done.

It's not a good idea to assume that programs like South Carolina lack the ability to develop players who also have good character based on one incident.
Not just one game, definite a pattern, not just with these 2 teams against each other, but against other teams. Do a bit of research on YouTube. Lot's o' stuff there.

Reaction Score
What Duke and Carolina have in common, aside from being in the ACC, is that they are very close to Fuquay-Varina. If she wants friends and family to be able to see her play and be able to run home to do laundry and get some of Mom's cooking both are great choices. Also two nice campuses and not a lot of winter to speak of. If these things are important to her then either school will be a good choice. NC State is even closer and has a good women's basketball program, but not the campus life of the other two, which may be why she looked (slightly) further afield.

Some kids want to get out of Dodge when choosing a college. If that's Sarah we are in luck. If Sarah wants to be a part of a great tradition, be buds with Geno and CD, win a lot of games, have a decent chance of winning s national championship and get a basketball education that directly translates to success in the WNBA, well that's UConn.

Ball is in Sarah's court.

Reaction Score
Duke has 5 of the Top 15 Men's recruits coming in including 3 of the top 10. They must be working that NIL. Maybe on Women's side too? Best teams money can buy.

Reaction Score
It's a 2 part choice. You pick between NC and Duke (less than 10 miles down the road from each other, as I recall) and then you play that choice against Uconn. I suspect she already has a strong lean on the first choice - some say Duke. And then you pick your final choice, The important thing is that it her choice and no amount of external analysis counts, so you just roll with the outcome

Reaction Score
1. Has Coach Auriemma changed his MO regarding recruiting and offering? According to his book, once he offered, he did not wait around for a commitment. Times and circumstances change. Has it changed at UConn?
2. Ms Strong's father is an NC State alum and they are not in the mix. One would never expect Harvard to be in the running. Thus, it would be hard to imagine Ms Strong hearing heaping praise of Carolina and Duke growing up; respectful praise, maybe?
3. IMO, it is between Duke and UConn. Not quite the Brittany Hunter conundrum. In the end, it is going to be about relationships with Duke getting the prize.
4. Coach Lawson has been garnering significant social media props for her "Handle Hard Better" statements/speech/narrative. This is 2024.
5. What makes a coach great? I do not believe for a second that coaching is overrated, it is definitely essential. My contention is that there are a ton of very good coaches who are a great player or two short of greatness. Which is to say great players make great coaches.

Reaction Score
Duke has 5 of the Top 15 Men's recruits coming in including 3 of the top 10. They must be working that NIL. Maybe on Women's side too? Best teams money can buy.
The women have slim to none of the NIL the men have. So that’s definitely not going to play a factor.

Reaction Score
Not just one game, definite a pattern, not just with these 2 teams against each other, but against other teams. Do a bit of research on YouTube. Lot's o' stuff there.
I'd suggest you'd do the same before painting an entire program with a wide brush.

Reaction Score
As a late 60s, retired Coast Guard Officer, I can't begin to guess what motivates a High School Basketball Player (male or Female) in their selection of where to go to college. BUT, if we are to believe the article in the original post in this thread, it would seem that UCONN offers Sarah everything she might/could want. Assuming Aaliyah moves on to the WNBA, as is considered highly likely, Sarah would enter into a perfect situation for her. There are no "Bigs" remaining on the roster who have proven themselves to be the ONE for the position of Post or PF.
a. Ice showed some good stuff in the last two games of the Big East Tournament, but not a body of work to make her a guaranteed starter in the Fall.
b. Geno has expressed some great expectations of Jana, but she has not been able to show what she can do in NCAA D1 Basketball and that she will be fully recovered from her injury to be a guaranteed starter....but if she is fully healed and lives up to Geno's expectations, she will be the Post....not what Sarah wants.
c. Ayanna was full of energy and an active player last season, but has not shown herself to be Starter material and has to show that she has recovered from her knee injury.
d. Aubrey is not really a PF based on her build and height, but she can play there if needed. Yes, she can jump out of most gyms, but she isn't the "power" player that Sarah is/can be.
e. Amari remains a mystery after 3 years on the Team. She has the appearance of someone who should be dominant at the Post with her height and wingspan, but her play continues to confound us. As with Jana, Amari is a Post...again not what Sarah wants to play.

Sarah could presumably come to UCONN in the Summer of 2024 and immediately make strides to be the PF in the UCONN line up, with let's say, Jana at the Post, Paige at PG, Azzi at SG, and either Aubrey, or Ash at the Wing, with KK, Morgan and Allie as back ups.

In addition, Sarah would be joining a great program with a rich history of National Championships, Olympic Gold Medalists, and WNBA Stars. She will play the best OOC schedule in the Country and go up against the best players all across the Country.

I am a UCONN Fan...but I can't think of any better situation for Sarah than she will find wearing UCONN Blue and White.

Reaction Score
I agree that she is not going to select UCONN. If she was going to do that, I believe it would have already happened. I think she now looks at UCONN and sees that the post position is " crowded". ICE Brady is emerging as a talent, and Jana is perceived as a wild card, who might just be " surprisingly good." Likely Duke and UNC offer better opportunities for her to start as a freshman. Duke is probably the most attractive. Great coach
From what I’ve read she is absolutely NOT a post!

Reaction Score
65% on here voted UConn. What is this based on exactly? I have not seen any indication she is leaning one way or another. If anything, it seemed like she was leaning more towards SC than anything else. I see that has changed.

I don't think she will pick UConn in my opinion. I think she wants to be the focus for 4 years and being close to home is at least some consideration. Just my .02. I hope I'm wrong as I think she would be great at UConn.

Naturally I would love for her to come to UConn, but I picked Duke. Coach Lawson is a building something special at Duke and with Toby Fournier and Strong, those two talented young ladies could be the pieces for Coach Lawson to launch Duke Women's basketball to greater levels.
I was wrong in thinking it was going to be South Carolina and now I'm hoping to be wrong again as I also selected Duke........as somebody mentioned, it reminds me of the Toomey recruitment where she was all UConn until the last minute when she chose UNC......looking forward to another incorrect pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom