Who Will Be Three Key Players for UConn FB 2021: I Say Kevin Mensah, Robert Burns, Joe McFadden | The Boneyard

Who Will Be Three Key Players for UConn FB 2021: I Say Kevin Mensah, Robert Burns, Joe McFadden

Reaction Score
Without a clear QB, I think Mensah, Burns and McFaddden will be the saving graces of this year's UConn FB team. What do you think.

Reaction Score
Jackson Mitchell LB - DJ Morgan should provide great leadership at MLB, but it was Mitchell's aggressiveness and tackling that impressed me during his freshman year, and having a set of explosive and athletic LBs can give us a lot of flexibility to defend in space.

Nate Carter RB - Mensah and Burns are solid backs, but lack Carter's homerun ability and wiggle. Edsall has been hyping him up, even using the Donald Brown comp.

Any Good CBs - We need some good cover people. We have a lot of quality bodies on the DL. LB is a rising group(see above). But to me outside of Diamond Harrell the entire secondary is like a random name generator went to town on Madden 2008 draft class or something. I'm not sure what we have, but if we have a couple people that can lock up, we all the sudden might be ok on defense.

Reaction Score
Jackson Mitchell LB - DJ Morgan should provide great leadership at MLB, but it was Mitchell's aggressiveness and tackling that impressed me during his freshman year, and having a set of explosive and athletic LBs can give us a lot of flexibility to defend in space.

Nate Carter RB - Mensah and Burns are solid backs, but lack Carter's homerun ability and wiggle. Edsall has been hyping him up, even using the Donald Brown comp.

Any Good CBs - We need some good cover people. We have a lot of quality bodies on the DL. LB is a rising group(see above). But to me outside of Diamond Harrell the entire secondary is like a random name generator went to town on Madden 2008 draft class or something. I'm not sure what we have, but if we have a couple people that can lock up, we all the sudden might be ok on defense.
While I hope Carter is everything we want, let’s not put too much on the frosh. Edsall compared his work ethic, not his ability, to Donald B. Nice to have what looks like a stable of three usable backs though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
VanDemark
Carter
Mensah

If those three perform it can be a different season

Reaction Score
I just don’t see the offensive line not being better than 2019!
One of the problems in 2019 was short yardage on 2nd and 3rd down plays. If Burns is as good as advertised we should be converting on those situations. The D line led by Travis and the experience at linebacker should lead to some solid play by the defense.

Reaction Score
If key player means doing more than the average player, Travis Jones has to be in the conversation. Hoping the team can keep games close enough that McFadden can refresh my memories of Dave Teggart. One of the keys has to be who Randy sees as the starting QB.

Reaction Score

From the looks of the open practice it seems like Diamond Harrell is running with the twos. Not sure if that’s good or bad from your vantage point. I would guess good since the player you like seems to have gotten beat out by another. We shall see. Agreed with your list though

Reaction Score
If your QB is not in the top 3, it’s call Houston we got a problem.

Reaction Score
Defense - Watts building on a good freshman year. Hopefully a monster on the DLine

Offense- Whoever the QB is, probably Z. Needs to get much closer to being the best player on the team. They all do.

Specials- McFadden would be the choice but saying it would be expected he will be solid so going with a return man, possibly Brewton. Hope to have a Nick Williams level player here

Reaction Score
From the looks of the open practice it seems like Diamond Harrell is running with the twos. Not sure if that’s good or bad from your vantage point. I would guess good since the player you like seems to have gotten beat out by another. We shall see. Agreed with your list though

Hmm wonder if he is in the doghouse. Interesting. Last time they strapped on pads he looked like a really solid ball hawk & tackler.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Either the left or right side of the offensive line.
Put 5 OL names in a hat and pick out 3. If we can’t create lanes, protect QB and let D rest, it’ll be a long year.
If your QB is not in the top 3, it’s call Houston we got a problem.

I think this combo is me.

Starting QB
Right side of OLine - Guard and Tackle

Next three would be all three LB's. I have some level of confidence the D Line will be at least competent. I think DB's are good enough to have some level of competence. LB's ability to augment pass rush, defend the run and defend pass coverage all have me worried.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Really want to see game 1 before attempting to declare key players for the coming season. With all this time off and physical development inbetween this is more of a guessing game than educated guess.

Heading into Fresno I'm thinking its:

Offense:
1) Sidney Walker at Center. We feel pretty good about our OTs, but can Walker set the protections and can the interior just make the plays we need to have throwing lanes and protect the QB.
2) Nate Carter at RB. Can we have a RB that the opposition has to game plan around? I expect Carter to be involved in a lot of successful misdirection/counter plays. I expect that he will keep LBs flustered opening up other offensive plays.

Defense:
1) Travis Jones at DT. Yeah, if the big fella takes a step forward it will naturally create opportunity for our cadre of other DL/DE risers; Uguak, Watts, DeVaughn, McCarthy, etc
2) Jeremy Lucien & Myles Bell at CB. The two have emerged as the starting corners for the season. If we get back to just "average" corner play our defense will be vastly improved.

Honorable mention: for the O: Rose at TE...if we are making regular plays to the TE position then I think its a good sign we are doing all the things we wanted at the RB and WR positions.

Honorable mention: for the D: Jackson Mitchell- arguably our most important player on D as the QB of the D, but I decided to go with Travis and the CB positions instead. Really its the three positions in my mind.

I decided not to name the QB position, that is always key in all years at all times.

Reaction Score
My sense is that Omar Fortt will be a beast this year. In fact our entire D will be uber-active and should surprise a lot of overconfident foes. Our kicking and return game has seemingly improved and if QB play (and play calling) improves behind a bigger, better, stronger O line, our RB's, TE's and receivers should let us sustain more drives and ultimately engender what's been missing for too long--fewer smiles on the opposing sideline.

Reaction Score
Either the left or right side of the offensive line.

Forget the season if this isn't fixed. It's been our biggest issue the last 7 or 8 years. Only Casey Cochran could get the ball out of his hands fast enough to keep the ship afloat. I'm furious this wasn't adequately addressed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom