Who will be the USA Olympic coach in Rio? | The Boneyard

Who will be the USA Olympic coach in Rio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Sherri Coale was. She has a substantial history coaching with age-group USA teams....including this summer's World University team [KML...Bria]. I have seen Doug Bruno's name mentioned [asst. to Geno in London] but my guess is they will pick a woman this time. Muffett a possibility? I would have put Kim Mulkey's name in there as well but my sense
is that the fall-out regarding Griner and Baylor has tarnished her image a bit.

WNBA coaches? I don't follow the league enought to know who would get serious consideration.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'll guess Dawn Staley if she wants it. She'll have support of the players and administration of USA Basketball. Someone from the WNBA will be an assistant coach. Maybe Mike Thibault

Reaction Score
Brian Agler is a great choice.
I wonder how his daughter will do as a freshman at Indiana U. this year ? Taylor Agler.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
With her Team USA pedigree think Dawn certainly has a very good shot, and would be a good choice as well.

Reaction Score
With her Team USA pedigree think Dawn certainly has a very good shot, and would be a good choice as well.

On last week's Dishin & Swishin podcast, I asked Dawn about it, and she would love to, but its not in her hands.

Mike Thibault, Cheryl Reeve, Lin Dunn if she's interested would be great pro candidates along with Agler and Dan Hughes.

Reaction Score
On last week's Dishin & Swishin podcast, I asked Dawn about it, and she would love to, but its not in her hands.

Mike Thibault, Cheryl Reeve, Lin Dunn if she's interested would be great pro candidates along with Agler and Dan Hughes.

Lin Dunn was the name that came to mind for me. Undoubtedly Dawn someday, but she'll most likely be around for a good number of cycles.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't understand the suggestion that Muffet McGraw might be a candidate for the job. As far as I know, Muffet has never coached for USA Basketball, including as an asst coach at any level. I'm sure that was her choice and it probably had a lot to do with devoting time off to her family. That's fine. But I can not see USA Basketball handing head coaching duties for its Sr National Team to a college coach who has never coached in an international competition and never coached professional players. Maybe there's precedent for USA Basketball hiring a collegiate coach without any international experience, but I just don't see it doing that now particularly with so little time before the 2014 World Championships. (Geno was head coach of the U19 team and was an asst coach on Nell Fortner's Olympic staff.)

Mel Greenberg wrote about the upcoming choice in his blog a couple of weeks ago. He speculates that USA Basketball may have been hoping that Geno would change his mind. With that not happening, Mel lists Doug Bruno, Dawn Staley and Sherri Coale as the top collegiate candidates (he says Mulkey isn't interested and although he mentions Muffet's name he says nothing more about her).

Mel lists a number of WNBA coaches including Mike T, Cheryl Reeve, Agler, Dan Hughes, Laimbeer, Ross and Donovan. From Mel's blog:

Olympic Coach Search

Though the urgent stage has yet to get close to hitting USA Basketball, things are moving along in terms of time soon becoming in play for the Americans to name, at worst, coach for the 2014 FIBA World Championship, which usually would also mean coach for the 2016 Olympics in Brazil, unless it is going to be a two-part process.

It seems UConn's Geno Auriemma might have finally c0nvinced those hoping for a reversal that once was great and wonderful but it also was enough winning the gold in London last summer.

Though not everyone meets all criteria usually called for there seems to be a short list in terms of speculation.

In the collegiate world, there seems to be three names mentioned prominently:

1. Doug Bruno, the DePaul coach who was on Auriemma's staff and who also coached many players moving up the ladder when he had the U-19 and -18 teams.

2. (this is not ranking specific) Dawn Staley, the South Carolina coach and Olympic playing legend who was also on an aide on Anne Donovan's Gold medal-winning team in Beijing. China, and many thought was in the loop for next at that time and remains a sentimental choice in various sectors of followers around her throughout her career.

3. Sherri Coale, the Oklahoma coach who has drawn lots of praise in various sectors recently and perhaps the honchos are waiting to see how she guides the World University Games through the upcoming competition.

Notre Dame's Muffet McGraw and Baylor's Kim Mulkey get mentioned in places but Mulkey has professed to not being all that interested given the time she wants to spend with her family in the summer though we will soon be on a two-year track rather than the four-year run from the time Auriemma was named for the past quad period.

In the pros:

1. (also not ranking specific) Mike Thibault, Washington, was on Donovan's staff and has a much WNBA player respect as do all the names mentioned in this category.

2. Cheryl Reeve, Minnesota Lynx, had she repeated as WNBA champs last year, she might be on board though she has no USA coaching experience. The honchos could name her at least for the FIBA games and if it doesn't go well and they have time for a quick do-over.

3. Brian Agler, Seattle Storm, says he's not been approached, but his past success, especially dealing with a multitude of injuries, aka Lauren Jackson, to keep his team compeetitive.

4. Dan Hughes, San Antonio Silver Stars, is on the players selection committee, but they could end up in his corner of none of their other choices come through.

5. Bill Laimbeer, New York Liberty, by his own admission says the players wouldn't have trouble dealing with him -- the brass, that's another matter.

6. Carol Ross, Los Angeles Sparks, a longshot but it wouldn't be surprising to see her picked to at least be on the staff of the next regime.

7. Anne Donvan, Connecticut Sun, is your wild card. Like Auriemma, she believes once is enough, given the pressure to keep the string going and all that jazz.

She's not campaigning for it, she's not looking for the honchos to come begging at the door in desparation, but, unlike Auriemma, she will privately acknowledge if the door knocks or the phone rings, you don't dismiss the honchos out of hand and have to listen to what they have to say.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JenR is another possible college name, as she has led a couple of lower USA squads, but suspect she is a more down the road choice than Dawn would be. And there are also Marynell and Jennifer from Geno's USA staff? though probably again less likely than others.
I am a little surprised that Geno is so adamant in not repeating, but it is a huge time commitment in terms of eating up discretionary 'free time' from the college schedule.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't understand the suggestion that Muffet McGraw might be a candidate for the job. As far as I know, Muffet has never coached for USA Basketball, including as an asst coach at any level.

Well, she was an assistant Coach of Olympic Festival (South) team which won gold in 1993, but your point is well-taken; I don't think they are likely to choose a coach without a fair amount of USA Basketball experience.

They have done so, Van Cancellor took over as head coach of the National team in 2002 and then the 2004 Olympics, but he had a lot of pro experience at the time

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Olympic coaches

• 1976 Billie Jean Moore
  • 1980 Sue Gunter (assistant in 1976)
  • 1984 Pat Head Summitt (assistant in 1980)
  • 1988 Kay Yow (assistant in 1984)
  • 1992 Theresa Grentz
  • 1996 Tara VanDerveer
  • 2000 Nell Fortner
  • 2004 Van Chancellor
  • 2008 Anne Donovan (assistant in 2004)
  • 2012 Geno Auriemma (assistant in 2008)

For what it is worth, there was a time when it seemed the path was clear, be named the assistant, and you are on the path to becoming the head Coach. That was interrupted 1992–2004 and restored in 2008. Or maybe it is just coincidence, and sometimes happens, sometimes not.

If they've returned to the "rule" then Bruno, Meadors or Gillom are in the cat bird seat.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sylvia Hatchell and Susan Yow were the assistants on 1988. I would expect that Hatchell was the senior of the two, and so might naturally have expected the tap for Head coach in 1992. Yet they went with Grentz. Does anyone know the story?

One possibility is that it is largely happenstance that the three prior head coaches served as assistants first.

Another possibility is that the long term plan was for Grentz to be the 1992 Head coach and should have been the assistant in 1988, but something prevented that from happening.

Another possibility is that they (USA Basketball) planned for Hatchell to become the head coach, but she declined

Another possibility is that they (USA Basketball) had planned (in 1988) for Hatchell to become the head coach, but they did not like how she did in 1988, and decided to go a different route.

Reaction Score
Meadors was a joke. The real brains of the outfit in Atlanta was Ross as Asst Coach. Gillom is the classic example of the "Peter Principle", superb asst coach, terrible head coach. Bruno just doesn't have a very great record as a HC. How many times has DePaul even made the E8? Ever?

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't know who the next Olympic coach for the USA will be , but whoever it is is going to have a tough road.........the world is catching up. Witness the recent WUG Tournament won by the USA. Russia was BIG , tough , and skilled. Same for Australia.

Odds say we are bound to lose eventually , if not just from a very bad game. But the fact remains , the world is catching up.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sylvia Hatchell and Susan Yow were the assistants on 1988. I would expect that Hatchell was the senior of the two, and so might naturally have expected the tap for Head coach in 1992. Yet they went with Grentz. Does anyone know the story?

One possibility is that it is largely happenstance that the three prior head coaches served as assistants first.

Another possibility is that the long term plan was for Grentz to be the 1992 Head coach and should have been the assistant in 1988, but something prevented that from happening.

Another possibility is that they (USA Basketball) planned for Hatchell to become the head coach, but she declined

Another possibility is that they (USA Basketball) had planned (in 1988) for Hatchell to become the head coach, but they did not like how she did in 1988, and decided to go a different route.

Another possibility is that they got a look at her proposed wardrobe...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't know who the next Olympic coach for the USA will be , but whoever it is is going to have a tough road.........the world is catching up. Witness the recent WUG Tournament won by the USA. Russia was BIG , tough , and skilled. Same for Australia.

Odds say we are bound to lose eventually , if not just from a very bad game. But the fact remains , the world is catching up.
I agree that the world is catching up. And with all the WNBA players in the International leagues, they will be exposed to some great players. I don't think the WUG is the best way to judge the US skill level versus the world because Hartley, KML and Sims are not Taurasi, Whalen, Parker, Moore, etc. I believe our WNBA still plays at a different level and until some of the younger International players come to the USA for some college play, they will still lack the training that will move them to the next level.

Reaction Score
. . . Bruno just doesn't have a very great record as a HC. How many times has DePaul even made the E8? Ever?

Success as a head coach in WCBB is very much dependent upon success in recruiting. The greatest
bench coach, team motivator, etc. in the world can't win without quality players. The head coach
of the National Team will have quality players given to him/her without having to recruit anyone.

What is needed is someone with a good head for basketball who is capable of getting everyone to
buy into the system and pull together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just a note on the sequence of head coaches - I believe there was a rule in both Men's and Women's basketball that the head coach had to be a professional coach for a period of the 2000s and then they changed first for the Men with coach K and then the women with Geno. The idea was that now the teams were 100% pro players they needed a pro coach - not brilliant thinking.
I do think the National team coaching job is a significantly bigger time commitment than the younger teams as the team is at minimum a two year gig and generally a 4 year one. With the time commitment and pressure I would not be surprised if some college coaches decline - they are earning more in their 'day jobs' but also facing more pressure to get results. Geno, with Chris and a strong and stable assistant coaching staff had a real advantage of being able to delegate Uconn duties without fear that the wheels would come off. You look at Kim and a number of other college coaches that are running through assistants at a fairly rapid rate and taking two or four years away on national assignment would be very tough.

Reaction Score

Someone might have actually watched Hatchell coach?

I'd love to see Sherri Coale or Bruno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01