Who will be the "steel" (not steal) this season? | The Boneyard

Who will be the "steel" (not steal) this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There has been laudable reference made for months about Lewis emulating Faris in a variety of ways, filling up the stat sheet. That seems very clear. Will she be one of those who will also provide the "non-stat" steel and backbone?
Will there be others who will be counted on for the toughness and the indomitable will to win at crunch times, and in especially physical games, and when practice is dragging?
(As an aside, speaking of filling up the stat sheet and "channeling Faris," looks like Tuck was among those who did some serious channeling today. I noticed a "C" beside her name in the boxscore....am wondering if she was she voted Captain by her USA teammates?)

Reaction Score
There has been laudable reference made for months about Lewis emulating Faris in a variety of ways, filling up the stat sheet. That seems very clear. Will she be one of those who will also provide the "non-stat" steel and backbone?
Will there be others who will be counted on for the toughness and the indomitable will to win at crunch times, and in especially physical games, and when practice is dragging?
(As an aside, speaking of filling up the stat sheet and "channeling Faris," looks like Tuck was among those who did some serious channeling today. I noticed a "C" beside her name in the boxscore....am wondering if she was she voted Captain by her USA teammates?)

the thing of it is, i don't see many crunch times over the next few years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To answer the OP - I think Bria, Stef and KML will for a pretty strong nucleus of steel for the team.

Reaction Score
UcM: Good chance of Lewis providing that. Stewart on year away on that particular dimension? Maybe Tuck this year....and maybe Banks?

PAP AND ICE: thanks for info on Captains. Not that it matters a whole lot, but I'd also be interested in knowing if this was team vote or coach app't.....might be one little variable in the Wilson recruiting. Either way, it certainly sends another very good message to her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have not seen indication of how the captains were set but my understanding in the past is that often in international play it is by the coaches.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
To answer the OP - I think Bria, Stef and KML will for a pretty strong nucleus of steel for the team.

I am glad you mentioned all three, but, particularly Stef. Bria and KML are smart, skilled ballplayers who, to me, seem to prefer to lead by example as much as by what they say. Stef is simply more extroverted than most of her teammates - she's loud n' proud, and has proven that she'll play if she's able to walk. I think that many teams benefit from having that "pushy" personality in crunch time, particularly one who has earned her "warrior" stripes. Jamelle and Rebecca were leaders, but, when the team needed vocal "fire", it was Rizz. Maya and Tina were leaders, but when the team needed somebody with a chip on their shoulder, Monty had more of an edge to her. DT may be in a class by herself, but Swin, Sue, and AJ all could curl a lip and cut a throat if needed. Kelly may be the most interesting person, in terms of someone who's off-court persona is so reserved, but who sacrificed herself so relentlessly on-court, that she provided "steel" with an incredibly economy of words.

Other posters may be correct: this may be a facet of the team that is rarely, if ever, called upon this year. But, I think winslots premise is a good one: it's good to have somebody on the team, no matter how talented, who responds to challenges by digging in and upping her game. Frankly, that's what some of us grudgingly respected about Skylar Diggins: she had the knack of getting her team to the finish line when things weren't looking easy. That's what I've long admired about Kara Lawson - you go back to her senior year, and look at how many UT games she pulled out in the final four or five minutes. Call it steel, call it guts, call it cajones, call it whatever - there's nothing like it in crunch time.

Reaction Score
PINOT: wow, wonderful post. The various names you mention as well as the thoughts you put forth make a lot of sense to me.
My error in neglecting Dolson, as I had intended to include her: last night we were all watching the Duke game rerun in fact, and I was struck again by how much more aggressive she was last year vs. her first two seasons. Delivered as good as she got and then some, most of the time, against some pretty tough cookies. (That was the famous Geno "chest bump" game...and Kelly was all OVER the place....#1 Woman of Steel.)

Reaction Score
I am going with Stef. She will be the backbone. KML, Breanna and the rest will be great but I put the team on Stef's shoulders.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef will be as she was last year. Several players including KML said the Stef was the voice of the team. She was the one who called them together and focused them when it was necessary. Not saying others didn't but the team and Geno noted this as the presence and nature of Stef.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And don't underestimate BH in terms of fire either - last year was a particularly tough year personally for her, but she too has a 'point guard' mentality of controlling the action and flow and telling her teammates where they need to be. I expect a real resurgence in her this coming year.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
And don't underestimate BH in terms of fire either - last year was a particularly tough year personally for her, but she too has a 'point guard' mentality of controlling the action and flow and telling her teammates where they need to be. I expect a real resurgence in her this coming year.
I think u r right UC- we saw her play during Tmt time excel. And the world games she was terrific ! We should be in good hands with her!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I am going with Stef. She will be the backbone. KML, Breanna and the rest will be great but I put the team on Stef's shoulders.
Reno- u may be right about Stef- but KML has always had a calm cool presence well beyond her years out there. Her freshman yr she was like a veteran. She is smart enough and classy not to step on the toes of an upperclassmen also!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the ND game, after Steff committed a dumb foul, it was KML who lectured her in the huddle
Bouncing her finger off her head; don't do dumb things, we need you to be smarter

There's the real leader

Reaction Score
I see Bria, KML and Tuck as the 3 leaders of the team on the court. Dolson is the clear leader off the court :)

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
In the ND game, after Steff committed a dumb foul, it was KML who lectured her in the huddle
Bouncing her finger off her head; don't do dumb things, we need you to be smarter

There's the real leader
Wow- I've seen the game so many time and can See her saying that so clearly wacking her temple with her pointer finger!

Reaction Score
I find them to be quite an egalitarian bunch. Sometimes they are all talking at once, and I get the feeling that each hears all the others with a lot of head nodding. Everyone is capable of stepping up as the leader. No one is subservient. It's a remarkable chemistry.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not detracting from Bria or Stewie, I think the rocks will be Kaleena, Stef, and Morgan. Just as Kaleena makes shots as if it's her job, Morgan's role is to play smart, stay cool, and be a steadying influence. As a sophomore.

Reaction Score
A horse race. By my rough count, Lewis and Dolson lead with 6 each, followed by Hartley with 4, Tuck with 3 and Banks with one. I like that the seniors have total of ten, and the other classes have total of ten....that's steel with a nice balance.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'll add one for Hartley. She grew 2-3 inches so, she is even a bigger leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom