Who will be the most improved player next year... Let's rank them | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the most improved player next year... Let's rank them

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
no rank predictions from me.
i just pray everybody works like hell to boost their free throw shooting percentage to a minimum of 98

yeah, 98% should do it!

Reaction Score
ONO last three games of the season against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona netted 4, 3 and 0 points.
She netted 2 points against Arkansas. Against South Carolina she netted 6 points. Against TN she netted 7 points. Do you see a pattern here? UCONN is not going to play teams like High Point every game where ONO can score 22 and boost her average to 12. She needs to show up in big games and be a reliable and consistent impact player.
I don't think she needs to score much next year for UConn to win........if they have to rely on ONO for points with that line up there must be something wrong......I expect Fudd to average 15-18 ppg, and her additional outside scoring will make a world of difference.......more scoring from Edwards, and DJ will come off the bench to chip in 8-10 ppg.............now if ONO makes the jump with more consistency so much the better.......

Reaction Score
The higher one's known floor the less room to the ceiling, so I'm eliminating almost all the major minute players from last year. That includes Edwards and Paige. Can they improve? Of course. Twice as good as last year? Nope.

Gabriel has plenty of room to improve but most bigs take longer to get good so although I hope she takes a big jump I tend to doubt it.

Muhl is the major minute player I kept in consideration. If she shows the skills and inclination to be a significant scoring threat consistently the team will hugely benefit.

That leaves Griffin and McLean. Both have the most room to improve and could well do so. Both need to slow things down, see the game and react accordingly, and take shots that aren't rushed prayers. Griff will be most pushed by the incoming frosh for playing time so I'm hoping she manages to be what we hoped she would be and solidify a major minute role. I'm going with Griff for preseason favorite for most improved.

Of course everyone has the same ceiling???? Generally the greatest improvement usually happens from freshman to sophomore. Three of UConn's top six players were freshmen and eliminating them from the top improvement consideration is foolish.
I pick Edwards, despite the fact that she didn't play like a freshman. Her foul trouble came early in the season, like Mühl's. By the end of the season she was making elbow jumpers and was drawing fewer fouls and eliminating the stupid fouls. She sees herself as a wing-type, which means she needs to stretch out her shot to the arc. Edwards may not get to first team AA next season but I expect she will play like one.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately most improved can only go to those who get plenty of meaningful minutes. I expect Aaliyah, Nika, and Evina to have the biggest improvements (in that order). I’d love to see Mir and Aubrey in the lineup but with the roster as it stands I don’t see them getting much of an opportunity, Mir less than Aubrey.

Reaction Score
If Aaliyah can participate in the Olympics this summer, it could open up an opportunity for significant improvement.

Maybe Olivia will be so determined and motivated this off-season that she improves playing against size and contact. Maybe with Dorka on board it will alleviate some of the pressure not to get in foul trouble that has had to deal with, and she can be more aggressive.

Nika and Paige hopefully recover from ankle issues and that could open up more of their games. Same with Evina and Aubrey with their knees.

If Christyn can play a full season at the level she was at the end of last year, that would put her in contention for most improved.

Overall, hopefully the team will have improved chemistry from more experience together.

Reaction Score
Liv. She has the most room to improve. Based on her physical abipities she can be much better. She will also get minutes. Several other players that might show improvement won’t get enough minutes to make a significant improvement.

Reaction Score
I think you are forgetting that she will be the fifth scoring option on next season's team...............12 ppg is ging to be just fine.............she just needs to concentrate on her defense and rebounding.........if UConn doesn't win a NC it won't be because of ONO's play
4 points combined in Elite 8 and Final Four. Her points are not guaranteed.

Reaction Score
4 points combined in Elite 8 and Final Four. Her points are not guaranteed.
if UConn looses games next season it most likely won't be because ONO didn't score enough points.........after all according to many of those here she's already lost her starting spot

Reaction Score
ONO last three games of the season against Iowa, Baylor and Arizona netted 4, 3 and 0 points.
She netted 2 points against Arkansas. Against South Carolina she netted 6 points. Against TN she netted 7 points. Do you see a pattern here? UCONN is not going to play teams like High Point every game where ONO can score 22 and boost her average to 12. She needs to show up in big games and be a reliable and consistent impact player.
They won the games against Baylor, Iowa, So Carolina, Tenn...this team doesn't necessarily need ONO to score they need her to rebound and rim protect first and foremost. What they do need is for their 6'5 center to make layups when they present themselves, especially against inferior competition. She didn't score much in that Elite 8 game against Baylor but her rebounding and defense was impactful against that imposing lineup.

Reaction Score
They won the games against Baylor, Iowa, So Carolina, Tenn...this team doesn't necessarily need ONO to score they need her to rebound and rim protect first and foremost. What they do need is for their 6'5 center to make layups when they present themselves, especially against inferior competition. She didn't score much in that Elite 8 game against Baylor but her rebounding and defense was impactful against that imposing lineup.
Yep I totally agree! We just need her to make the easy shots she should and then play good defense and rebound. I don’t think anyone is expecting her to put on a clinic in post moves (especially against girls her height) but she does need to make the easy ones.

Reaction Score
Since PB will be somewhat off her feet for a while, she will have more time to spend in the weight room on exercises that strengthen her upper body (e.g., bench presses).

Reaction Score
Yep I totally agree! We just need her to make the easy shots she should and then play good defense and rebound. I don’t think anyone is expecting her to put on a clinic in post moves (especially against girls her height) but she does need to make the easy ones.
I would like her 15' shot to become more consistent, that would be nice...that shot will be there all night long. I think ONO like a lot of collegiate players rides the confidence wave. I think if her shot became more consistent in her senior year we'll see a different player. I know I'm rooting for her HARD. She seems like a very nice young lady I want her to succeed.. I'm hoping the basketball gods are getting tired of hearing from me!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I would like her 15' shot to become more consistent, that would be nice...that shot will be there all night long. I think ONO like a lot of collegiate players rides the confidence wave. I think if her shot became more consistent in her senior year we'll see a different player. I people will start to guard her know I'm rooting for her HARD. She seems like a very nice young lady I want her to succeed.. I'm hoping the basketball gods are getting tired of hearing from me!!
If she starts making that 15 footer people will start to guard her. Once they do, she will never make another because it takes almost 2 seconds to get it off. She needs to make lay ups, let AE take those shots.

Reaction Score
If she starts making that 15 footer people will start to guard her. Once they do, she will never make another because it takes almost 2 seconds to get it off. She needs to make lay ups, let AE take those shots.
LOL.... I do like AE stroke better but I want AE under the basket using her brawn. ONO really wants no part of that game. If her jumper became more reliable it makes this team better.

Reaction Score
She also beat most of those "good teams" where it mattered most. She will get physically stronger through maturation. I could care less about her on ball defense. She's a roamer who anticipates well and gets a lot steals. I'm good with that...

Reaction Score
In this order: Evina ( because of the extra year of healing and determination), AE (because the upside is enormous), CW ( because it is her time), Nika ( because she hates losing), AG ( because it is overdue), Liv ( because hope remained in Pandora's box), Mir ( because she needed a year to learn), PB ( because even with a shortened pre season she will be improving) Piath ( because she is going to improve in a steady fashion).

Reaction Score
We will not include Saylor Poffenbarger as she only came in late in the season...we will include her in next year's class.

1. Mir McLean - I think Mir is an intriguing player. She is extremely athletic and she really hasn't had time to show her stuff yet. I believe she has a lot to show and will once she gets the opportunity. She will have the benefit of the sophomore leap and I believe Geno will reward her hard work with more minutes on the floor.

2. Evina Westbrook - Unfortunately, for us, we haven't had the opportunity to see Evina play at 100 percent. She has been recovering from two left knee surgeries and rehab. Her season last year was managed. I believe we will see the real Evina Westbrook this season... Since her stats weren't really that bad...her upside is a little less than MIr's. If Evina shows that kind of improvement that I think she is capable of...it is going to be hard to keep her off the floor. Senior leadership is something that Geno truly appreciates.

3. Nika Muhl - Nika had an up and down year...both at the beginning of the season and at the end of the season. It prevented her from showing any real consistency. Her scoring, 3 point shooting averages were not given the chance to be truly appreciated. I think if Nika stays healthy, she will get the kind of minutes that would allow her to impact the team positively. Her defense will improve and she could emerge as a lock down defender. She will also benefit from the sophomore jump.

4. Aubrey Griffin - Aubrey continued to be a mystery. With athleticism off the charts...I kept waiting for her sophomore jump but it just didn't come. I thought well last year she had a couple of break-out games this year that just didnt' happen. Aubrey didn't live up to her expected sophomore leap but I think we may see her reach the potential we all believe she is capable of. Of course, the big if...is whether or not Aubrey can get more consistent with her shooting. I think Aubrey has the ability to be a break out player and I pick her fourth on the most improvement list.

5. Olivia Nelson-Ododa - All Olivia would have to to do next season is to show more consistency in her play against the tougher side of the competition. Olivia dominated against weaker opponents. If Olivia could raise her numbers up so that she is a consistent double-double threat she could move up the most improved chart.

6. Piath Gabriel - Piath size gives her a tremendous upside...however, she has continued to be a work in progress. If she can impress Geno enough for him to give her more minutes we might just see some major improvement...And while it usually takes longer for bigs to show improvement I hope more minutes coupled with her sophomore leap will give us yet another big who can contribute,

7. Aaliyah Edwards - Aaliyah had an impressive freshman season. As a result her sophomore leap my not be as noticeable as some of the others in her class. I think that Aaliyah will be a starter next year and if not...she will certainly get significant minutes. If Aaliyah is able to add a couple of rebounds and more consistency on the scoring end she could be a real difficult player for other teams to have to defend.

8. Christyn Williams - We all know what kind of player Christyn can be, after all, she was a number one recruit coming out of high school. Why she disappeared in some games is just one of the those mysteries that is unexplainable. She is a great player and we are definitely better when Chrisyn is playing her "A" game. I am looking for her senior leadership next season as well as for her to be a more consistent player game to game.

9. Paige Bueckers - Last on the most improved list but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. Next year Paige will have a lot of movable pieces around her. I might even expect some of her offensive numbers may come down as the offense will depend less on her taking on more of the scoring responsibility. With incoming players like Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme and her returning cast...I expect to see Paige's improvement to be in her ability to make her teammates better.
These kind of predictions are really difficult to do, because everyone defines improvement differently. And the starting points are so varied. Paige, for example, begins at "National Player of the Year." Piath begins as a player who earned a few minutes, at the end of games that were well out of reach. Of everyone on the list, she is ...at the view we have seen...the least developed as a basketball player, and the least athletic. Therefore it would by logic be the most difficult for her to make leaps from a 3 star player to a five year player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom