Who will be the most disappointing college basketball team this year? (The Athletic) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the most disappointing college basketball team this year? (The Athletic)

Reaction Score
Good enough for what? To get to the Dance? Sure. Sweet 16? Final Four? Win the New Big East? I kind of doubt it. I guess it depends on your expectations. As I said I think 25-30 ish, which translates to a tournament win in the first round. Anything else is gravy. Anything less is a disappointment. Not getting a bid is a big disappointment.
My hunch is we are a solid team, 25-30ish type. Capable of making really good teams sweat. But we don’t have the b@ckcourt necessary to be really good.
Nothing is a guarantee, I will not be disappointed if we are not ranked.

You indicated "But we don’t have the b@ckcourt necessary to be really good." ?

That's what I was getting at by good enough

But I do think we can be a sweet sixteen team. We will see .

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This idea that Bouk can’t be replaced is utter BS. This team will play together better, have a higher level of confidence and there is much more talent over all. Plus there won’t be the off court drama of COVID crap and Bouk crap. I think this team has a better overall record and advances further in the NCAAs. The only thing that can stop this team is injuries

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

“UConn. It’s less a matter of the Huskies being outright bad than not as good as everyone thinks. James Bouknight scored more points than anyone on the team last year in half as many games. James Bouknight is no longer in college, and I don’t know who steps in.” — Brian Hamilton
I've seen this movie before.

When Cliffy left. When Donyell left. Hell, even when Caron left.

Sometimes the star leaving provides the opportunity that others need to elevate their own game.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this pick, especially since UConn isn't considered to be a heavy-hitter this year. They're correctly predicted as a borderline top-25 team and while they are missing "star power" they are way more equipped to play team basketball that is impervious to one particular player getting cold.

One of my votes goes to Michigan. Livers and Wagner played huge roles last year and overall, they've lost five of their top-seven scorers from last year. Dickinson is amazing, but a lot riding on freshmen and Coastal Carolina transfer Devante Jones.

Another vote goes to Texas. There's a ton of talent on the team, but Marcus Carr's lack of efficiency is scary and while Jones/Ramey are very good senior guards, they don't "wow" me like a championship caliber team should. Despite this, Texas is one team I'd like to catch a lot of their games, should be an exciting team to see how they develop.

Reaction Score
UCONN is ranked preseason 23/24 so where does Bennet think UCONN will finish, completely out of the rankings?

"James Bouknight scored more points than anyone on the team last year in half as many games." - FALSE

Perhaps Hamilton should go back and look at the roster and try to figure out who might put up some numbers.

Reaction Score
To answer the question posed in this post, I nominate Illinois and Puke for the team most likely to disappoint, closely followed by Kentucky.
Can UK really be "disappointing" after going like 5-15 last year? Lol they were and probably still will be utter garbage

Reaction Score
Yes, backcourt depth and perimeter scoring remains to be seen. Personally, I am over expecting a big offensive jump from Gaff. I am more intrigued to see what the frosh bring. I agree that another year of RJ and Tyrese should be better than last season especially with Martin. I know Dre hit a three or two during the open practice but I will have to see it in person. Hopefully Akok has his stroke back, Whaley can hit a couple of threes per game and Polley can carve out significant minutes and also become a defensive disruptor. We have many that will hoist them and many that can make them, let’s see the consistency.

Reaction Score
Can UK really be "disappointing" after going like 5-15 last year? Lol they were and probably still will be utter garbage
They're rated 10th in the Preseason AP Poll so they can easily be disappointing. They will definitely be better than last year though. Although the bar was set so low last year that it'll be easy to beat! :)

Reaction Score
Lack of a big time point guard will hold us back. Guards win you games in MARCH.
RJ is on the bench as back-up on any of our big time teams.
Many would disagree but who does RJ start over that won a tournament game ?

Adams
Boat
Bazz
Kemba
Price
Williams
Brown
KEA
Ricky
Ollie
Doron
Smith

Reaction Score
Lack of a big time point guard will hold us back. Guards win you games in MARCH.

Adams
Boat
Bazz
Kemba
Price
Williams
Brown
KEA
Ricky
Ollie
Doron
Smith
We've been spoiled by having some of the best guards in college history. Cole is a good enough guard to get us to a Final Four if the cards fall our way this season. Our defense and a top 5 front court are going to win us a ton of games this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Adams
Boat
Bazz
Kemba
Price
Williams
Brown
KEA
Ricky
Ollie
Doron
Smith

1. I do not have any duplicate or burner accounts.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Reaction Score

Adams
Boat
Bazz
Kemba
Price
Williams
Brown
KEA
Ricky
Ollie
Doron
Smith
Why are you even mentioning this? RJ gets trashed here a lot and I just don't get it. He does not need to be compared to the past guards who won tournament games. He was not himself due to a injury in the NCAA tournament last year. It is irrelevant if "RJ is on the bench as back-up on any of or big time teams". He is on our team this year and is a very serviceable point guard for us. We need RJ.

Wow GIF

Reaction Score

Adams
Boat
Bazz
Kemba
Price
Williams
Brown
KEA
Ricky
Ollie
Doron
Smith
Exactly right. He is a mid-tier guard. Not big enough, athletic enough, nor quick enough to handle top flight guards. I’m not sure he beats out Austrie or guys of that level, to be honest. But to win in March you need top flight guards.

Reaction Score
Exactly right. He is a mid-tier guard. Not big enough, athletic enough, nor quick enough to handle top flight guards. I’m not sure he beats out Austrie or guys of that level, to be honest. But to win in March you need top flight guards.
Which is why Gaff will be the difference at PG this season. People keep sleeping on Gaff. I’ll either eat my words or come out smelling like a rose, but he’ll be a major factor.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom