Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season?

Who Will Be The Face of Women's College Basketball For The 2023-24 Season?

• Angel Reese

Votes: 20 12.1%
  • Caitlin Clark

Votes: 56 33.9%
  • Paige Bueckers

Votes: 80 48.5%
  • Azzi Fudd

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Someone Else (Say Who)

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As the former POY, Caitlin likely will be the face, if there is a single face. Not only was she the POY, she was 2nd in scoring and 1st in assists. She put up huge numbers, led her team to an upset of the previously undefeated S.C. powerhouse and to the national championship game, and is probably the most exciting player in the nation. She hits bombs from the logo/Steph Curry range, plus she may break Kelsey Plum's career scoring record.

By New Years, Paige may also be getting comparable attention, especially if UConn is undefeated and she has regained her form. In my opinion, Paige has been the best player in the nation for the past 3+ seasons--or would have been if healthy.

I think Brink is the next best player. Bayou Barbie will get recognition too, though she is a one-trick pony. She is quick as heck, but she rebounds and scores from underneath only.

Reaction Score
Ah, if Paige can replicate her freshman year, the media will go nuts over the "come back" story and Paige will become the face of women's college basketball. The media controls everything, facts be damned.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy that Brink, Bueckers, Clarke and Reese were rated the top four players in their class and they all lived up to the hype. All four have been All-Americans and have played in a national title game, while two have won NPOY awards. I wonder if another class has been that dominant before their senior year even started.

Reaction Score
It’s crazy that Brink, Bueckers, Clarke and Reese were rated the top four players in their class and they all lived up to the hype. All four have been All-Americans and have played in a national title game, while two have won NPOY awards. I wonder if another class has been that dominant before their senior year even started.
And Cardoso was #5.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What Paige does in the early OOC games will determine if she becomes the major player she was 2 years ago. I wish the OOC schedule would come out so I can see the teams she will be taking advantage of early on. She and Caitlin, along with Reese will be the players everyone will be talking about. As far as I know, none of these players will be competing against each other this year, except hopefully in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Azzi was the face last year before her injury. Breathless commentary about how she was an NPOY candidate after the first few games. Then the injury and she fell out of the public eye. If Paige starts strong, like she did against Arkansas two seasons ago, she will get the same treatment. I don't think it matters what anyone else does, not Caitlin, not Angel, not Kamila, not Cameron. This distinction is Paige's to take. The anticipation of a healthy season for her is widespread, not just in the BY. No one in the media wants to be left behind by the Buckets Parade.

Reaction Score
What Paige does in the early OOC games will determine if she becomes the major player she was 2 years ago. I wish the OOC schedule would come out so I can see the teams she will be taking advantage of early on. She and Caitlin, along with Reese will be the players everyone will be talking about. As far as I know, none of these players will be competing against each other this year, except hopefully in the NCAA tournament.
Paige and Angel may be meeting in the Cayman Islands Classic in November.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe the Peanut Butter and Jelly duo will be the face, as in the open-face sandwich. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is Paige Buecker's time to shine and show the public what they had missed when she went down with her injuries. Now , Paige will be the face of Women's BB because she was expected to be the face the last 2 years and unfortunately was injured for 1 and a half seasons and her greatness was lost. Now, she is the comeback player of the year and all eyes will be on her. Other greats will be in the running,but, if Paige plays like the Paige we all know she can.........No Contest. GO PAIGE!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
If I were the media I would shout out multi players as the faces of WBB!
Paige, Caitlin, Angel, Azzi, and Cameron!
With so much talent out there why limit it to one!
Azzi's got a UConn following and had a national face a few years ago, but she's got lots to prove before she belongs with the other four. Surely hoping that happens.:)

Reaction Score
I would think Angel as LSU is the defending champion. And they were also considered a Cinderella championship team. And I am guessing that Kim will have another cupcake OOC, therefore being undefeated for most of the season will help.
Remember how long Arike was the face, so...
Angel got carried to that title by a reserve player, and didn't even play a good game. LSU a Cinderella team with Kim Mulkey as the coach? Think back: clearly Iowa was the Cinderella story.

Plus, in defeat, Caitlin was worlds better than Angel in victory.

Reaction Score
As the former POY, Caitlin likely will be the face, if there is a single face. Not only was she the POY, she was 2nd in scoring and 1st in assists. She put up huge numbers, led her team to an upset of the previously undefeated S.C. powerhouse and to the national championship game, and is probably the most exciting player in the nation. She hits bombs from the logo/Steph Curry range, plus she may break Kelsey Plum's career scoring record.

By New Years, Paige may also be getting comparable attention, especially if UConn is undefeated and she has regained her form. In my opinion, Paige has been the best player in the nation for the past 3+ seasons--or would have been if healthy.

I think Brink is the next best player. Bayou Barbie will get recognition too, though she is a one-trick pony. She is quick as heck, but she rebounds and scores from underneath only.
I'm with you, Milford, except when you say Paige has been the best player if healthy is still presuming she'd be better than Caitlin. Possibly, but Caitlin is unworldly talented, too. We're blessed to be able to watch both.

Reaction Score
Everybody is picking the Big name players. I am going for that dark horse. That under the radar player that is going to boost a program and make a name for herself. I am picking Lauren Betts. I like that she stayed in the PAC 12 conference and went to UCLA. With some key returning players and Betts with something to prove, I think she is going to be the face of WCBB for the 2023-24 season. :cool:

paul rudd deal with it GIF

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm with you, Milford, except when you say Paige has been the best player if healthy is still presuming she'd be better than Caitlin. Possibly, but Caitlin is unworldly talented, too. We're blessed to be able to watch both.
Paige and Caitlin are two extremely talented basketball players. Even though they play the same position (PG/SG), they are entirely unalike in their game. Caitlin is an in-your-face offensive player, always moving in a fast pace, and seems to do her shooting "on the go". Paige is deliberate, rarely pushing the ball up the court. She is content to let the game come to her, and does a great job of that, while Caitlin forces the issue whether it is an assist or a scoring play. Each fits their respective teams perfectly, so judging the best player is not an easy task. To me, they are both great and will be stars going forward for a long time. Reese, ah, I would pick these two guards over her any day of the week.

Reaction Score
Everybody is picking the Big name players. I am going for that dark horse. That under the radar player that is going to boost a program and make a name for herself. I am picking Lauren Betts. I like that she stayed in the PAC 12 conference and went to UCLA. With some key returning players and Betts with something to prove, I think she is going to be the face of WCBB for the 2023-24 season. :cool:

paul rudd deal with it GIF
For that to happen Close will have to make serious changes to her offense or else Betts will spend most of her time watching Osborne and Rice grind the shot clock down dribbling around the perimeter. Or Jones chucking 3s off of every touch she gets. ;)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Angel got carried to that title by a reserve player, and didn't even play a good game. LSU a Cinderella team with Kim Mulkey as the coach? Think back: clearly Iowa was the Cinderella story.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, I was only posting what I think ESPN (sadly, the face of WBB) will do.
Personally, I would like it to be Paige.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Bueckers became the most talked about player as a freshman for two reasons. One is her personality, which perhaps should not be a factor in becoming the face of college basketball, but that is the reality. Her personality is still there.

The other is she plays beautiful basketball, the overall reason I have been such a fan of UConn over the years. Beautiful basketball, as opposed to heroic or great, manifests itself in the vision, decisions and execution on the court. Before injury Bueckers had the best vision and execution of any player.

Though beauty is an artistic term whose criteria is pleasing to the eye, it manifests itself in terms of metrics through such things as shooting percentage, A/T ratios, and efficiency ratings. All these reflect cerebral basketball that knows when to do what. As a freshman Bueckers had the best of these metrics out of all guards (some post players had higher shooting percentages) and they got better before she was injured her sophomore season.

Who knows how she will recover from injury this time, but if those metrics improve from their already high level she will become at least one of the faces, a new “3 to see,” if not the sole face.

Reaction Score

Angel needs to learn to tone it down. I actually think she won't be the best player on her own team this coming year but I'm sure she will be good again.

But on that other comment, Iowa was preseason top 5 team (4 and 6 in polls), LSU was 14 and 16 in preseason and LSU lost basically their entire roster and replaced them (minus Reese) with transfers who were holdovers at their former programs... I won't call them a cinderella but certainly they overachieved greatly with what they really had.

But regardless, this thread makes me chuckle because who cares. Clark, Reese, Paige, and Brink will also get their share of attention. All excellent players who provide different tangibles to their teams. I don't know if I would just sit and point to a single face or name when looking at an upcoming season but thats just me.

sun

Reaction Score
I think it'll be Angel.
She was featured in SI, won the Espy for Best Breakthrough Athlete & her popularity has skyrocketed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last remarks about Paige:

1. Freshman year Paige was the NPOY even though Caitlin had better basic stats (Paige had way better complex stats), and TV personalities put some energy into trying to get some of Paige's stardust to rub off on her. "They're close friends" etc.
2. The next season, hobbled Paige carried her team to the NC and Caitlin did nothing noteworthy other than mamas some stats.
3. The following season, with no Paige again, Caitlin managed to carry her team to the NC -- this was an awesome achievement given her supporting cast -- and finally deserved the NPOY and all the recognition.

See the pattern here? With Paige back and a team that might run the table, no way Caitlin can hold the spotlight. Every media eye will be on Paige and what she might do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom