Who will be the biggest surprise this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the biggest surprise this year?

Who will be the biggest surprise this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't have a clue, so why guess

+1

I'm with you.
then why bother posting in the thread? if it doesn't interest you then feel free to move on. some fans on this board never cease to amaze me... :rolleyes:

i mean, we have no idea what future recruits Geno is going to get so why bother discussing that? We have no idea how long Pat will last so why discuss that? we have no idea if they will win the BET, or NCAA's, so why bother discussing that? we have no idea how many games they will lose so why bother discussing that? we have no idea how many minutes per game or points per game the players will score so why bother discussing that? we have no idea if Doty will be 100% so why discuss that?

i could go on and on and on and on but you get the point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
then why bother posting in the thread? if it doesn't interest you then feel free to move on. some fans on this board never cease to amaze me... :rolleyes:

If they always surprise you, eric, then you should have had them on the list. :p

Reaction Score
Johnson. They'll all perform well, but would any of the others really be a surprise? We've come to expect greatness from everyone else. But Johnson was a mop-up player this year. I think she'll have a breakthrough year.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I say all of the above plus the other players plus the coaches and the entire BB world will be surprised and shocked when we win the National Championship!!!!!

Really? I've seen similar posts elsewhere, and don't get it. Do folks seriously believe that anyone who knows anything about WCBB would be surprised, let alone shocked, if the Huskies get another big banner. They may not be expecting or predicting it, but tey sure as hell wouldn't be surprised by another UConn N.C. Gimme a break! More likely be shaking there heads in disbelief that they didn't look at the record and PICK them. I suspect there will be some 'experts' who in fact do pick the Huskies as the favorite (perhaps unwisely) ... there definitely will be many who will put them in the mix.

Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
I got to thinking about this thread, inquiring who we EXPECT to SURPRISE us. Is that a contradiction or some sort of an oxymoron? After all, you can't be surprised by something you expect. DOH!

# 1! Bingo. By usual standards, what we have is an uninterpretable poll. What does "unexpected" mean anyway? If conventional wisdom is that Kelly will do everything well but not score a lot of points, and she both did everything well and scored a lot, is that more or less surprising that if Heather averaged 4 points a game? And, how does anybody know what people expect anyway? Could it be that this poll exists to establish that baseline, so that after the fact we can see how wrong we were in our responses? That's why quant pros design polls with so many questions they bore you to death. This kind of poll is a lot more fun, because although nobody can really say what the results mean, they're food for thought and talk. Anyway. I think the best term for "EXPECT to SURPRISE" is not oxymoron but paradox. Bertrand Russell had a lot to say about that: When classes are members of themselves. eg surprises that we expect, we are in deep paradox territory.

Reaction Score

i mean, we have no idea what future recruits Geno is going to get so why bother discussing that? We have no idea how long Pat will last so why discuss that? we have no idea if they will win the BET, or NCAA's, so why bother discussing that? we have no idea how many games they will lose so why bother discussing that? we have no idea how many minutes per game or points per game the players will score so why bother discussing that? we have no idea if Doty will be 100% so why discuss that?

i could go on and on and on and on but you get the point.
The thread certainly interests me as do most of the opinions expressed thoughout these Boneyard threads. There are times, though, when I have few if any opinions about a subject; This being one of them. In this case, I was responding to Kibitzer's response about not having a clue; My thought exactly.
I also agree with your point about some fans never ceasing to amaze you.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The thread certainly interests me as do most of the opinions expressed thoughout these Boneyard threads. There are times, though, when I have few if any opinions about a subject; This being one of them. In this case, I was responding to Kibitzer's response about not having a clue; My thought exactly.
I also agree with your point about some fans never ceasing to amaze you.
ah. then strike my comment as being meant for you. i was replying to the comment "why bother discussing it". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom