Who will be the biggest "surprise" impact player this season? | The Boneyard

Who will be the biggest "surprise" impact player this season?

Who will be the biggest surprise impact player this season?

• Irwin

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Bent

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Camara

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Adebayo

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Griffin

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • Makurat

Votes: 34 34.7%

• Total voters

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Different kind of poll - I'm going to leave off the core group of 4 expected starters (Danger, Williams, Walker and ONO) and also am going to leave off Westbrook - if she is immediately eligible and plays really well, that should surprise no one. I left ONO off because we saw flashes of her talent at the end of last season (Lou's injury time) and she's gotten stronger and smarter over the summer.

So of the remaining players, who do you think will be the biggest surprise (ie. earning lots of PT and having a big impact) in this coming season?

Reaction Score
Different kind of poll - I'm going to leave off the core group of 4 expected starters (Danger, Williams, Walker and ONO) and also am going to leave off Westbrook - if she is immediately eligible and plays really well, that should surprise no one. I left ONO off because we saw flashes of her talent at the end of last season (Lou's injury time) and she's gotten stronger and smarter over the summer.

So of the remaining players, who do you think will be the biggest surprise (ie. earning lots of PT and having a big impact) in this coming season?
Now YOU said SURPRISE PLAYER---Anna and Griffin I have since they were announced believed them IMPACT players. So the list dwindles to Evelyn and Touly. I don't know diddly about Evelyn so my choice has ttbe Touly big time (and then I got it from coach RICK she is a sleeper, i.e look out she'll rebound and post big.
I am prone to say Molly and Irwin--I have said that now for 3 years and each year I'm proven wrong. They have the potential to be good,, better, best players both are intelligent, both know the system, both have many hours of Div 1 game time--both lack confidence---the attribute not missing from Paige or CW.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My vote goes to TTP. The Transfer Portal. There is no greater impact player in WCBB.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I voted for Aubrey. I just have a feeling she will surprise alot of people. I think her mid range game is under appreciated and she has a low key confidence that will really shine.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I saw the word "surprise" & immediately thought Makurat. We have never really seen her play, and as I understand it, has basicly been compeating competivly aginst simi-pro players.

Irwin & Bent I expect to be better. Seniors how do you want to close out your collegiate experience.

Camara, if healthy. . . Who knows.

Griffin is a "freshman". Hopefully she will be getting it figured out by post season.

Adebayo? Spent a few years being the big fish in a small pond? How will she aduust to being 6th from the top and the less tallented physically knowing where they are supose to be in most situations and she just won't know whats going on half the time.

So yeh. I'm expecting Makurat to surprise the crap out of everone especially our opponents.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Incredibly well spread out. It is close between Camara, Adebayo and Makurat. I wonder if the players read the board and if it will give them any extra motivation (ie. bulletin board material)...

Reaction Score
Aubry. Geno has a knack for finding great players at the lower tier of the top thirty. Gabby, Kia, Naphessa, not one of them were top five or ten when they were recruited but they all made dynamic impacts.

Reaction Score
Aubry. Geno has a knack for finding great players at the lower tier of the top thirty. Gabby, Kia, Naphessa, not one of them were top five or ten when they were recruited but they all made dynamic impacts.
Napheesa was ranked 6 by hoopgurlz, Gabby was highly ranked until she had a knee injury and she dropped to 14, and Nurse was an international player.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that all of you are correct in your prognostications. What I would like to see is Geno facing the delimenna of having to choose from a group of very good players who would get to play. I, for one, would like to see substitutions where he can do matchups, and substitutions where he could rotate 2 to 3 players at a time to rest players and feel comfortable that the Team will not lose momentum and continue scoring and competing to his high standards.

Reaction Score
My vote goes to TTP. The Transfer Portal. There is no greater impact player in WCBB.
The poll asks for people---it wasn't expecting intelligence in responses!!!
If not for Transfers--hopefully we will see--
You always have an intellectual way of viewing things.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that all of you are correct in your prognostications. What I would like to see is Geno facing the delimenna of having to choose from a group of very good players who would get to play. I, for one, would like to see substitutions where he can do matchups, and substitutions where he could rotate 2 to 3 players at a time to rest players and feel comfortable that the Team will not lose momentum and continue scoring and competing to his high standards.
I concur! Geno won't have any Dilemma's whether too many or not enough players, as an OLD dog you know this, he has seen it and worked with it and survived it. But I like your thoughts of have players to mix and match with the team being played--and subs oh subs, we haven't had really decent subs for a long long time.

Reaction Score
Incredibly well spread out. It is close between Camara, Adebayo and Makurat. I wonder if the players read the board and if it will give them any extra motivation (ie. bulletin board material)...
IT APPEARS FEW READ YOUR WORDS ONLY THE LIST OF PLAYERS---SURPRISE IMPACT PLAYER???? MAKURAT WOULD NOT BE a SURPRISE--SHE'S A PRO. If she fall flat on her face now that would be s surprise as would Aubrey, how about Westbrook--if she stumbles and fumbles now that is a surprise impact, if any of the CORE 4 stumble or fumble that too would be s surprise impact.
I suspect if any of Uc players read this board it is only for laughs at us idiots who know little and think less---most won't read it if they are smart--and Uconn gets the most intelligent--even more so than Stanford.

Reaction Score
Thought I'd be in the minority, but pretty strong vote at present for Anna I wanna be Diana Makurat!
Here is the premise of the thread--who will be a Surprise. Do you really believe anything Ania does, except failing, will be a surprise???

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Polish Power. She’s already played against pros. College kids are a pretty decent step down.

My thoughts exactly! I hope we are most correct.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Here is the premise of the thread--who will be a Surprise. Do you really believe anything Ania does, except failing, will be a surprise???

You have a very good point @Bellemare; no surprise there. So I withdraw my vote in favor of Adebayo a whisker over Griffin.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have high expectations for Makurat and Griffin. I’m not sure about Adebayo. But we have seen Batouly for 2 years and haven’t gotten much. I think she could be a big surprise. She had a very nice tourney earlier in the summer.

Reaction Score
I see people mentioning Camara... do we even know if she's going to play this season? When Adebayo joined, I felt like that was the staff's tacit acknowledgement of the end of Batouly's basketball career.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IT APPEARS FEW READ YOUR WORDS ONLY THE LIST OF PLAYERS---SURPRISE IMPACT PLAYER???? MAKURAT WOULD NOT BE a SURPRISE--SHE'S A PRO. If she fall flat on her face now that would be s surprise as would Aubrey, how about Westbrook--if she stumbles and fumbles now that is a surprise impact, if any of the CORE 4 stumble or fumble that too would be s surprise impact. I suspect if any of Uc players read this board it is only for laughs at us idiots who know little and think less---most won't read it if they are smart--and Uconn gets the most intelligent--even more so than Stanford.
It appears you interpret the poll incorrectly. Sine I'm the one who created it, let me educate you. We've SEEN what Danger, CW and Walker can do. We saw flashes of what ONO can do - all at UCONN. Westbrook is unknown if she can play this year, but if so, most pencil her in as the 5th starter.

The other players have either not been seen in Storrs, or have never contributed in a dramatic way. Hence the list of players. It makes no difference that Anna played professionally in Poland. Anyone on here go see her in person? Anyone here see her play UCONN basketball? Same for Evy - she's played for Murray State and Grambling, but who here has seen her play really? As for Batouly, she's been hampered by the injury bug pretty much her entire career at UCONN. Griffin is brand new to college.

The poll asked for the surprise impact player. Do you know for a fact that Anna seamlessly fits in with the UCONN system and will be ready from day 1? Or day 10? Or day 50?

Good gracious - this isn't rocket science - it's a fun poll to take the pulse of who UCONN fans expect/think might have a breakout year. ;)

Reaction Score

I also think that there is enough depth of talent at g/w to rotate 5 players in the 3 positions. But it's hard enough to get 5 players to learn to play in UConn's system, where everyone is involved. To extend that to 8 or even 9 introduces endless combinations and the hundreds of hours needed to learn all those various lineups makes seeing it this year unlike. That's for a team loaded with upperclassmen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The poll asks for people---it wasn't expecting intelligence in responses!!!
If not for Transfers--hopefully we will see--
You always have an intellectual way of viewing things.
I both thank you and apologize.

Reaction Score
My surprise? I'd say from one of 2 players who right now have done virtually nothing but who have size and experience, Camara &/or Adebayo. Camara can play if her knees allow. I won't be surprised to see her play well. I will be surprised to see her average 15 mins/gm. Adebayo is hopefully a late bloomer who signed way below her level out of the UK, transferred and again found herself too low. There's always a huge ? over a transfer stepping way up in class but she did play well against Kentucky (20pt 7-11; 9rb) and Tenn [28pt (11-19) 5rb]
She was 2-5 from 3 in the 2 games. At least we know she can handle the physicality at the top. And as others have pointed out I would expect that ONO will be sitting with 2 fouls often. She is too easy to see by the refs. :(

Reaction Score
I voted Griffin cause I think her defense will help after the middle of the season

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom