Who will be the Alpha Dog next season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the Alpha Dog next season?

Reaction Score
Was there anyone in the building that thought Ogunbawale wasn't taking the last shot?

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

But you are correct that she was going to jack up everything she touched and finally was going to get some to drop, problem was to deny the play and I do not have an answer for that as unlike some I cannot read Geno’s mind.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The alpha dog? The kid who wants to be legendary. Christyn Williams has no fear.

Reaction Score
Sometimes people see what they want to see and still others make things up. Bad body language from Gabby or anyone else is not a UCONN WCBB thing that is tolerated. Gabby got 1 technical this year for cursing about an absolutely horrible call. Kia and Gabby were outstanding leaders for this team.
Sometimes people see what they want to see and still others.....
I realize I might be too late with this: Try not to be like the former, try harder not to be among the latter.
I think Gabby was amazing for us. I’m simply starting a discussion. She will be the hardest to replace among the three leaving but to say her and Gabby were outstanding leaders when none of us were in the locker room is just a plain guess. Talk about seeing what you want to see.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
At a minimum I expect Lou, Pheesa, Crystal & Megan to fill that role - yes, that’s right, I expect Megan to be a leader next season, and find the criticism of her play by fellow BY’ers to be deeply disappointing and unwarranted.
Agree with the whole post and this statement most emphatically

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Gabby was amazing for us. I’m simply starting a discussion. She will be the hardest to replace among the three leaving but to say her and Gabby were outstanding leaders when none of us were in the locker room is just a plain guess. Talk about seeing what you want to see.
Talk about "try reading what you actually wrote" !
Kia & Gabby as fun & productive as they were, were not leaders.
You don't have to be in the locker room to recognize leadership just have to know what you are looking for, or in your case NOT.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think C Dangerfield will be every bit the team leader that Lou is next year.

Lou has a fire in her belly and will do her share but Danger is a born floor general.

Reaction Score
We can all nominate our favorite player, and many here are always for KLS. I don't that it will come from her. She has already taken on that role with some success. However, I think it will have to come from someone on the bench-- Kyla? (who can see what is needed and when to stick a knife in their teammates-- someone who can call it as they see it) and a starter on the floor. That starter has to be able to create their own shots. KLS is a great shooter, but she needs too many screens and picks to get open. 3-4 shots in the 2nd half of a champ.game? Says that you can be defended, and with your teammates trying to get you free. Crystal and Pheesa and maybe Megan.

More than this Alpha mentality is needed. I think a number of players have to add additional features.
Pheesa could add a stop and pop jump shot. Or more thereof. She likes the fadeaway and it is successful- but it is blocked by taller players. Continue to work on the 3ball, drive and dish a lot more.
Crystal: Would like to see her go to the basket a lot more a la. Jefferson. Foot problems may have stopped her, but went to the basket a lot less that I would have liked. She has the ability to be more disruptive for the opponents.
MW: her style of play is needed. Like Pheesa she is quite able to play in traffic and should do so.
KLS: Cont with the passing, posting game. As I said about Pheesa- add a little Stewie by refusing picks, drive-hop-and pop. (players a bigger and quicker at the next level, and you will have to get yourself open/free)
I liked last year fr.class and think they have the talent to play well, but were insecure. Throw that out the window.
Soph class: My eyes are on them. Fluidity and refinement is a key here. And they should be a lot more adept at finishing around the basketball. Molly Molly: I have fallen into a love/hate relationship. She has at least one feature tht reminds me of Chong- they were extremely quick with the ball and can get to spots on the floor. A lot more athletic than expected. Unlike Chong, Molly does little more: can she shoot? can she drives to the basket for layups? Stopping throwing/telegr the ball away, you are not playing against girls from C.Cod. I have not given-up bec there is much more there than shown.
Coaches: This line about players not playing until they show it in practice has reached its limit. Trust builds motivation. There is an old Chinese saying: 'Mr. Wong is dead because Mr Badpay killed him.'

DROP ALL THE NONESENSE ABOUT HAVING A CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDERS FOR NEXT YEAR. This is a new era for all. Let us use the summer to enjoy our symptoms and not worry about what the Uconn wbb haters are busy whipping up for the Fall. Theirs have suddenly lost currency(?) Such people are, unfortunately, never out of words. Forever condemned to speak.

Reaction Score
I'd put Danger as a close second, as a point guard, she's already running the show on court, it's a small step from there to leading the way in practice. A much smaller step than the one she took from freshman to sophomore year.
I’m with you. A healthy Crystal, and we would have been national champions. If she can recover from those wretched shin splints, she will be somethin’ to behold next season.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Lets think about what you are asking for. A player who is selfish that will take any shot any time and not try to get the easiest shot that could beat the defense. For what its worth I still would not want any of the Notre Dame players on my team, other than Jackie Young. Keep in mind I don't like some of the players on my team either LOL. I have my reasons but I like players who do what they need to do for the team and not for themselves. This Final Four was very unusual in how things panned out. Would any coach base their game plan on it, I am very doubtful but that is just my opinion. Only teams who have difficulty executing like those type of players. Everyone in the arena knew that Ogunbowale would shoot the ball and it didn't matter when it was. If she had missed, there would be a whole different amount of trash going on elsewhere considering she is a volume shooter.

Reaction Score
KLS has dropped that "CA laid back label" a long time ago. Think of all the teams that have routinely tried to play rough with her and think KLS responses. There were also always other leadership options on the UCONN roster. KLS has run out of time, she a senior who does not want to graduate with 1 Championship and she is talented enough to do something about it.
I sure hope you are right! I do agree in many ways she's tough as nails, and not at all the California beach girl some see!
She has though shown a tendency to be almost too selfless.
Hopefully she can win a NC but she also has never played in a NC game. She will have to have a monster season in every aspect of the game in order to even have the chance.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Any team that depends on only one player to lead their team is not a complete team, and is vulnerable. Oregon was one such team. During the Elite 8 game, Ionescu attempted to take over the game in the 2nd half, and ND forced her into one bad decision after another.

At the same time, throughout their run to the championship, ND was lead by 4 different players: Shepard, Mabrey, Young & big shot maker Ogunbowle.

With UConn, it was much the same throughout the season with at least 6 players stepping up at various times to take over a game. The more leaders the Huskies have next year, the more successful they will be.

At a minimum I expect Lou, Pheesa, Crystal & Megan to fill that role - yes, that’s right, I expect Megan to be a leader next season, and find the criticism of her play by fellow BY’ers to be deeply disappointing and unwarranted.

Beyond the 4 mentioned, it would be great if other players like CW also step up, but if there’s one thing UConn fans should all be wary of after our outsized expectations for Crystal & Megan during the last 2 seasons, it’s that freshmen take time to adjust to the demands of playing basketball at UConn.
I'm truly sorry if I disappointed you in my criticism of MW's play, attitude and performance. I just don't see why you are so invested in her having to be a star? Whether she can and will be is pretty much up to her. All the good wishes and cheerleading make little difference.
I think you need to look at and think about using terms like unwarranted, cause that could easily go either way.
When you step into the big stage and you were a star player, a lot is expected of you. I don't have those expectations of her but clearly you do.
You are right somewhat about needing a team to accomplish championships and great things. And yes Ionescu who is a truly great player, took on more than she could carry alone. DT with a much stronger cast, had similar problems on the big stage her freshman year. And I don't believe that other than maybe MM has there been a greater player in women's basketballs history. But after that, she with a much weaker team around her willed her team to two championships. MM and Stewie did similar things. Part of the reason U Conn lost the last two years is there was no one to have the will, skill and strength to pull their teammates over the hump. Whose going to be that this year or in the coming years, I'm not sure. Your expectations that MW will be a leader next year I'm sorry to say is where the problem lies. For her to become a significant contributor would demonstrate enormous growth. Everyone adjusts at their own pace, not necessarily your pace and if they don't reach that they are only a disappointment to those that think like you do. How about letting her start there!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Lets think about what you are asking for. A player who is selfish that will take any shot any time and not try to get the easiest shot that could beat the defense. For what its worth I still would not want any of the Notre Dame players on my team, other than Jackie Young. Keep in mind I don't like some of the players on my team either LOL. I have my reasons but I like players who do what they need to do for the team and not for themselves. This Final Four was very unusual in how things panned out. Would any coach base their game plan on it, I am very doubtful but that is just my opinion. Only teams who have difficulty executing like those type of players. Everyone in the arena knew that Ogunbowale would shoot the ball and it didn't matter when it was. If she had missed, there would be a whole different amount of trash going on elsewhere considering she is a volume shooter.
I'm not the slightest bit talking about KLS being selfish and taking any and all the shots. I'm talking about having the ball and making the necessary play happen. Sometimes it's being double teamed and finding the open player.
Sometimes it the three pointer, others backing in down low, making the extra pass.
The truly great players make their teammates better and never win alone.
Michael Jordan the best men's player or DT or MM who have both won multiple championships on every level have it! Maybe no one on U Conn now does. From what I've seen KLS still has a shot at it, maybe CD or maybe down the road CW .
The offensive system used by U Conn is gorgeous to watch and incredibly successful but seemingly didn't get it done the last two years. And in both years no one made the big play when needed. Yes there were great plays to catch up in regulation and overtime but that's NOT the same as making the winning shot, assist, rebound, defensive stop to win!
The top coaches and teams have caught up and figured it out. We need an additional strategy and the right player(s) to execute it. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Just another adjustment and one that is not easy to prepare for as so much if it is in someone's makeup and DNA.
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm truly sorry if I disappointed you in my criticism of MW's play, attitude and performance. I just don't see why you are so invested in her having to be a star? Whether she can and will be is pretty much up to her. All the good wishes and cheerleading make little difference.
I think you need to look at and think about using terms like unwarranted, cause that could easily go either way.
When you step into the big stage and you were a star player, a lot is expected of you. I don't have those expectations of her but clearly you do.
You are right somewhat about needing a team to accomplish championships and great things. And yes Ionescu who is a truly great player, took on more than she could carry alone. DT with a much stronger cast, had similar problems on the big stage her freshman year. And I don't believe that other than maybe MM has there been a greater player in women's basketballs history. But after that, she with a much weaker team around her willed her team to two championships. MM and Stewie did similar things. Part of the reason U Conn lost the last two years is there was no one to have the will, skill and strength to pull their teammates over the hump. Whose going to be that this year or in the coming years, I'm not sure. Your expectations that MW will be a leader next year I'm sorry to say is where the problem lies. For her to become a significant contributor would demonstrate enormous growth. Everyone adjusts at their own pace, not necessarily your pace and if they don't reach that they are only a disappointment to those that think like you do. How about letting her start there!
Bronx23
Bronx, we are just going to have to disagree on MW, so let’s just leave it at that and we can all see how she performs next year.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou. Don't like the way she played against ND? Remember that, though she stayed in the game, the officials essentially took her out of it with imaginary fouls. No wonder she was gun-shy. I hope the officials are on Muffet's Christmas gift list, because she owes them big time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom