• Poll closed .

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
CtClNz4XYAAzkTP.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It looks like Kelsey Mitchell is getting no love from the BY as a potential POY in 2018. Since Mitchell has a good chance to break Kelsey Plum's all-time scoring record next season, it just goes to show that stats aren't everything.

Reaction Score
I have to think in a year where Gabby may not have to go 40 minutes every game guarding the other team's center, she might just have an offensive explosion of the UConn variety...if she does, dead people in Cook County will be voting for her...
I still vote for Gabby as the favorite but suspect that her likely reduced minutes and need to guard quicker players away from basket, as well as her likely new offensive role away from basket with quicker defensive players on her will reduce, not increase, her offensive production. Suspect it will be a team where on any given night, anyone could be leading scorer.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
t looks like Kelsey Mitchell is getting no love from the BY as a potential POY in 2018. Since Mitchell has a good chance to break Kelsey Plum's all-time scoring record next season, it just goes to show that stats aren't everything.

Plum didn't win it this year as a career achievement pat on the back, she won it because she had an absolutely spectacular season. Mitchell will have to greatly increase her shooting percentages (53% overall vs. 44%, and 43% on 3's compared to 37%) and almost double her rebounding, while increasing her scoring almost 10 ppg to match what Plum did this season. Not to mention add more assists while she's scoring more. Ain't gonna happen. She may get the career scoring record, but I doubt she'll get remotely close to the single season scoring record, and I seriously doubt she will improve as much from Jr. to Sr. year as Plum did.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't see the need for two token non-UConn players.:D

Now that is just flat out excellent shade throwing! Congratulations. Myself, I'd rather we had a 2019 poll and really squeeze everyone else out of there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Wilson would get the pre-season nod, even if SC hadn't won the championship. She will have less help next year. If she manages to carry her team to a 30-2 record, she'll be tough to beat. If they are 27-5 and her numbers drop, there is room for someone else.

Kelsey Mitchell will have to have a Kelsey Plum-type year, leading OSU to 30 wins and the B1G title. She could.

It's interesting to see the votes so far. We Boneyarders, like most folks, tend to have short memories. In October, many of us thought that Azura was the best player in the country. That was before we saw how much Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa improved over the course of the season. If Azura's play next year compares with any of our All-Americans, I'll be thrilled. Could she be the NPOY? Sure. She could also be the 4th best Husky--and still have a great season.

If I had been asked before the Final Four, I might have chosen Napheesa. Because Pheesa had a poor game in Dallas and Gabby was the best and hardest working player on the floor, I think I'd now choose Gabby. For Gabby to win the NPOY over Wilson, she'll need to expand her offensive repertoire, stay out of foul trouble, and consistently play with Maya-Moriah energy.

If we had had this poll last October, would Gabby have even been on the ballot? I doubt it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think that Wilson would get the pre-season nod, even if SC hadn't won the championship. She will have less help next year. If she manages to carry her team to a 30-2 record, she'll be tough to beat. If they are 27-5 and her numbers drop, there is room for someone else.

Kelsey Mitchell will have to have a Kelsey Plum-type year, leading OSU to 30 wins and the B1G title. She could.

It's interesting to see the votes so far. We Boneyarders, like most folks, tend to have short memories. In October, many of us thought that Azura was the best player in the country. That was before we saw how much Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa improved over the course of the season. If Azura's play next year compares with any of our All-Americans, I'll be thrilled. Could she be the NPOY? Sure. She could also be the 4th best Husky--and still have a great season.

If I had been asked before the Final Four, I might have chosen Napheesa. Because Pheesa had a poor game in Dallas and Gabby was the best and hardest working player on the floor, I think I'd now choose Gabby. For Gabby to win the NPOY over Wilson, she'll need to expand her offensive repertoire, stay out of foul trouble, and consistently play with Maya-Moriah energy.

If we had had this poll last October, would Gabby have even been on the ballot? I doubt it.

Agreed on Wilson. The hype was already there. This was just to hammer it home.

Gabby definitely needs to get up to at least 16-17 ppg to have any kind of shot. But I think her performance on the biggest stage really helped.

As for Gabby if we asked in October, would any one from this year have been? This was expected to be a down year as the young kids either got it together or go taken over by transfers and an absurdly strong recruiting class. But I do think we knew that Gabby and Lou had these types of seasons in them. Collier was the really big surprise for me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed on Wilson. The hype was already there. This was just to hammer it home.

Gabby definitely needs to get up to at least 16-17 ppg to have any kind of shot. But I think her performance on the biggest stage really helped.

As for Gabby if we asked in October, would any one from this year have been? This was expected to be a down year as the young kids either got it together or go taken over by transfers and an absurdly strong recruiting class. But I do think we knew that Gabby and Lou had these types of seasons in them. Collier was the really big surprise for me.
I think Lou would have been in the conversation as of October. I'm not sure about Pheesa or Gabby.

Gabby's play against Mississippi State reminded me of Maya's play against ND in her final UConn game. She did everything one player could and still came up short. That game surely gave Gabby a lot of notoriety. Her best games, as noted, were in the biggest games.

the Q

Reaction Score
I think Lou would have been in the conversation as of October. I'm not sure about Pheesa or Gabby.

Gabby's play against Mississippi State reminded me of Maya's play against ND in her final UConn game. She did everything one player could and still came up short. That game surely gave Gabby a lot of notoriety. Her best games, as noted, were in the biggest games.

There a couple of similarities to that 2011 game. Including the end game clock management.

I agree that if anyone was going to be in that convo in Oct it was Lou, buttttttt even then she was a soph coming off a very niche role last year and had a serious injury at the end of the season. It was the most likely, but still probably a long shot call.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
POY will be Wilson. She's been on a Media Circuit since the National Championship win. Dawn & South Carolina will will have a Media Campaign the likes we see with Heisman Nominees. A'ja will be the face of South Carolina, while any of the UConn players will be sharing accolades with their teammates. The only way A'ja doesn't win POY is if South Carolina under performs and doesn't win the SEC etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
POY will be Wilson. She's been on a Media Circuit since the National Championship win. Dawn & South Carolina will will have a Media Campaign the likes we see with Heisman Nominees. A'ja will be the face of South Carolina, while any of the UConn players will be sharing accolades with their teammates. The only way A'ja doesn't win POY is if South Carolina under performs and doesn't win the SEC etc.
While I generally agree with your assessment, one key element will be the head to head matchup between UConn & SC in February in Columbia.

If both teams are riding high, everyone will be watching. If BIG GAME Gabby puts on another show and Wilson is less than her best, similar to this season's game in Storrs, that could very well swing a bunch of voters towards Gabby for POY.

Reaction Score
Right now, the front runner has to be Wilson. She is the face of the defending NC...and deservedly so. She is a wonderful player who deserves everything she gets. IMO, she will have to put up big numbers for South Carolina to have a shot at repeating. They lost a lot. I think UCONN will be far too balanced to have a POY. Unless we rip through the entire schedule and their is a clear cut player that stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

With that being said, I don't think USC is the front runner to win the SEC. I think Mississippi State and to an extent Tennessee could be ahead of the Gamecocks.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
There are two different schools of thought on POY. Geno has always said it should be the best player from the best team (easy for him to say). Stewie would certainly fit that characterization.

The 2nd school of thought for POY would be someone that literally lifts their team up to another level, like Kelsey Plum, without whom Washington would have been an average team at best.

I'm fairly confident that UConn will be the best team next season, but if you side with Geno's POY reasoning it could be like splitting hairs to choose between the 4 likely Husky POY candidates. I tend to lean towards Gabby, but Lou & Pheesa will be even better next year and Z could be other-worldly once she's turned loose on opposing teams.

As for the 2nd alternative, with the departure of Coates, Davis & Gray, A'ja Wilson will have to carry SC on her back if the Gamecocks are to get back to another FF. Wilson certainly stepped up in the tournament when Coates went down, but Gray & Davis were also instrumental in SC's title run. If Wilson becomes a dominant force who carries SC to success, she could well be the POY.
Davis was the X-Factor for that team and Coates ankle injury early in the season opened Dawn Staley's eyes to that. South Carolina was a better team without Coates. Her absence allowed Aja Wilson the freedom to operate in the post and Davis was a match-up nightmare for most teams, she opened up the floor for Wilson with her outside shooting, similar to the way Collier and Samuelson will open up the post for Azura Stevens, like they did for Gabby Williams this past season.

Reaction Score
I'll say that just because Geno feels that Z can be the number 1 pick in 2018 doesn't mean she has to start next year, and it also doesn't mean she has to be a NPOY to be taken 1st over all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll say that just because Geno feels that Z can be the number 1 pick in 2018 doesn't mean she has to start next year, and it also doesn't mean she has to be a NPOY to be taken 1st over all.
I believe Geno said that Z would be the #1 pick in 2019, not 2018.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno said that Z would be the #1 pick in 2019, not 2018.

Yes that's right, I meant to put 2019, I don't believe Z will be leaving early, nonetheless she doesn't have to be a starter or an All American next year to be a future Number 1 over all pick

the Q

Reaction Score
Right now, the front runner has to be Wilson. She is the face of the defending NC...and deservedly so. She is a wonderful player who deserves everything she gets. IMO, she will have to put up big numbers for South Carolina to have a shot at repeating. They lost a lot. I think UConn will be far too balanced to have a POY. Unless we rip through the entire schedule and their is a clear cut player that stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

With that being said, I don't think USC is the front runner to win the SEC. I think Mississippi State and to an extent Tennessee could be ahead of the Gamecocks.

This is all why I went with Wilson. Exactly.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
While I generally agree with your assessment, one key element will be the head to head matchup between UConn & SC in February in Columbia.

If both teams are riding high, everyone will be watching. If BIG GAME Gabby puts on another show and Wilson is less than her best, similar to this season's game in Storrs, that could very well swing a bunch of voters towards Gabby for POY.
There are going to be a lot of hashtags for Gabby next season. A few of which I will probably start myself. Riffing off what you have>>> #BigGameGabs
Here's another one>> #DOD (department of defense). ;)

the Q

Reaction Score
Gabby is going to be the point, power forward and center, how can any one top that. Go huskies.

Traditional stats, specifically PPG still matter a lot to the voters.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Gabby will certainly be in the conversation. If she could make 3s she'd be like Maya.

She's be Maya...

Gabby is a hybrid of Alana Beard, Maya Moore, and Tamika Catchings, in terms of athleticism, defensive prowess, defensive versatility (defending any position on the floor, based on need), offensive skillset (being able to power to the rack, post up smaller defenders, etc.).

She averaged 14.8 points, 8.4 rebounds, 5.1 assists, and 2.7 steals per game. She was the leader on the team in terms of assists, while also being the primary defender of strong post players, using her athleticism to front and deny entry passes but also block out (and block shots of) players much bigger and taller than she.

The only thing missing from her game is the outside shot.

Now, Gabby has REALLY worked on her range. This is a player who shot 46.2 percent from the line as a freshman, only to hit 72.2 percent as a junior.
BUT...she hit 32 of 40 from the line in five NCAA Tournament games. Not only is that good for 80 percent, it shows she got to the line 8 times per game. Remember, she went 91-126 from the line all season, which means she went 59-86 (68 percent) during the regular season, 3-4 from the line in the conference tournament, and 32-40 in the NCAAs.

I would like to see Gabby use her speed to break players off the dribble more. Run some high pick-and-pops with KLS (and Collier, especially at the elbow), pick-and-rolls with Stevens, etc. But she should also focus on getting the line like she was in the NCAAs, especially if she is going to make 80 percent from the charity stripe.

And I would like to see her be a threat from three and improve there the way Collier did. Remember, Napheesa shot 2-13 (15.4 percent) from three as a freshman, but 22-51 (43.1 percent as a sophomore). Collier makes such a good percentage and takes 1.5 attempts per game that opponents have to respect the shot and come out and defend her. If Williams can do something similar - even if it is 36 percent on 1.2 attempts per game - AND puts up the same types of numbers that she is doing this year, she could easily win NPOY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom