Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team?

Reaction Score
I don't think the BE should expand BUT in a perfect world, we could give Depaul the boot and add just about anyone to replace them.

It is important to avoid a one, or even two-trick pony like Loyola, whose long-term success is not guaranteed. They seem attractive because of their last 4 years but will we say the same in even 5 years' time?

Dayton, St. Louis, VCU are the closest to fitting the bill if we could give DePaul the boot, but I know that won't happen. So strictly hypothetical.

Before the 2018 FF run, they really didn't do much, since 1985 when they were a one-trick pony S16 team. Maybe if in ten years, Loyola is known as the Gonzaga of the Midwest they would be good to scoop up but that would require consistent tourney appearances for the next decade, like 9 out of 10 times, and at least a few more E8/S16 trips. Seems unlikely, and their past 2 runs in the last 3 tourneys have been fun to watch, but can it be sustained?

St. Louis - 5 tourney appearances since 2000 - 3 total wins. 6 seasons below .500, 15 seasons above .500. 7 seasons with 20+ wins (3 25+ win seasons).
Dayton - 8 tourney appearances since 2000, one elite 8 run - 6 total wins. 2 seasons below .500, 19 seasons above .500. 15 seasons with 20+ wins (6 25+ win seasons).
VCU - 12 tourney appearances since 2000 (actually 2004), one FF - 9 total wins. 21 seasons above .500. 14 seasons with 20+ wins (and 10 25+ win seasons).

vs
Depaul - 2 tourney appearances since 2000, one win. 15 seasons below .500, 1 at .500, 5 above .500. 3 seasons with 20+ wins, ZERO 25+ win seasons.

All three of those schools would be a better replacement, VCU being the top. Dayton a close second. Ditch Depaul!

Liberty does not move the needle too much, not even close to St. Louis, team 3 of 3 above.
Liberty - 4 tourney appearances, 1 win, 12 seasons below .500, 1 at .500, 8 seasons above .500, 5 seasons with 20+ wins (3 25+ win seasons).

Liberty is closer to DePaul over the past 20 years than VCU or Dayton or even St. Louis. Hard pass unless they can maintain a solid decade of success. 2016-2021 is a very good start.

Some people mentioned Buffalo. They have had a very solid 6 years, making the tourney 4 times since 2016 and winning twice and, generally, being competitive, even scoring a 6 seed in 2019. Similar to Liberty and Loyola, let's see if they can have another decade of prolonged success. Can they become the 'Zags of the East"? They made the NIT this year so maybe they are slipping?

Buffalo - 4 tourney appearances, 2 wins, 6 seasons below .500, 15 seasons above .500, 9 seasons with 20+ wins (2 25+ win seasons).

Still, I have more faith in Loyola, Buffalo, and Liberty to be more consistently good than UMass or Rhode Island.
It's also a two way street. How would UConn football and basketball have done these past several years in the ACC rather than in the AAC. Joining the Big East way back in 1979 certainly helped the program. The Big East may not be the right place for Liberty but it has big plans, and spending like it.

Liberty University already spends more on athletics than ODU and JMU - The Virginian-Pilot (pilotonline.com)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is a hot take in search of an audience. Other than former BE teams wanting back in, we wouldn't even consider taking anyone.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is the closest big time school I could imagine coming back and I don’t think it’s that nuts.
Notre Dame is making more money from their ACC and NBC contacts then they could ever make as true independent. They have all the benefits of ACC membership without the negatives.

If they wanted to remain in the Big East, they couldn't done that, but chose the ACC.

Reaction Score
As has been noted many times, the BE needs to expand - doing so would enable a two division league, and with that, a few less BE games per season (i.e., play teams in your division twice....) and a more room for OOC games.

While no longer a factor for us, football may still drive otherwise candiate schools (big fan base, proximity, large stadium availability - such as Temple) from even considering an invite.

So in my view, I think we should strongly consider a few A-10 schools - with Dayton or UMASS my choices. Dayton (despite) their current record would be my first choice, since Dayton has a strong fan base, and since their location would be a perfect fit in a "west" BE division. UMASS would offer us a true local rival (assuming DH could still out-recruit them) -ala when they had Cal and Camby. I supporsse we could consdier URI for the same reason too - but I don't know much about the size of their fan base and basketball venue.

I would even consider BC coming back - but despite their mediocre ACC performance in both sports, I don't they would want to play independent football and the bad feelings probably still persist.
Why no mention of VCU?

Reaction Score
Is this trolling? There's absolutely no way the Big East expands, 11 is perfect.
Oh and why not hmmm........Loyola Marymount. Seem to fit the mold. Have a good media market.

Reaction Score
The Loyola Marymount in LA? The Conference would then be called "The BIG East and One"

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What team would you add to the Big East that would increase the value of your television contract? Adding a team with your current contract means that you will have 1/12 of the pie instead of the current 1/11.

Reaction Score
What team would you add to the Big East that would increase the value of your television contract? Adding a team with your current contract means that you will have 1/12 of the pie instead of the current 1/11.

and that is the sticky point....just like it was with the Big 12 when the conference's advisors said that the media were not adding the money for any of the list of applicants.

Reaction Score
If it wasn't for money...Syracuse should be in the Big East...

But here is the problem with the way football drives.... Cuse really is a basketball school...In football Syracuse was last in the ACC football standings last year...but football made the money...

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The Syracuse Athletic department set a revenue record for the third consecutive year in 2018-19, reporting department revenue of $99.8 million. That revenue is up from $93.8 million in 2017-18.

Syracuse’s report to the federal government showed a surplus of $16.9 million made through athletics. The school has regularly shown a surplus on the federal report in recent years while school officials have indicated it has a balanced athletic budget.

Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack has emphasized that he wants to fund every program at the school to be competitive. The only sports in which Syracuse falls outside the top 35 schools in spending are volleyball and football. Nine sports rank among the top 10 in the country.

Cuse is riding football to spend money in other sports...they can not afford to go Indy and play where they should be...the BE.

Reaction Score
St. Lois is solid, I wonder if Buffalo could come in as hoops only to keep their football alive.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is making more money from their ACC and NBC contacts then they could ever make as true independent. They have all the benefits of ACC membership without the negatives.

If they wanted to remain in the Big East, they couldn't done that, but chose the ACC.
ND is very strange ,a member of the ACC in most sports but football they receive about $7,000,000 a year very similar to Big East Money
However they signed an agreement 1 year to share football revenue
and allows them access to league Championship game .
The curious part is why 1 year.

The ACC would love them as an all sports ( football) and I believe that deal is still available with or without BB although it could be a deal breaker who knows the ACCthinking.
The BE reunites them with the Northeast especially NYC personally I can’t see it happening.

note to myself
no more CR posts

Reaction Score
The only non Power 5 addition that brings anything to the table would be an arrangement to add Gonzaga as a basketball only. You could have a western Division- Gonzaga, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier and eastern Division- Villanova, UConn, Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence.

Dayton, VCU, St. Louis, Buffalo, and UMass should be non starters. There is literally zero reason to add them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom