Who will be Geno’s starting point guard in the NCAA tournament? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Who will be Geno’s starting point guard in the NCAA tournament?

Who will be Geno’s starting point guard in the NCAA tournament in 2024?

• Paige Bueckers

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Nika Mühl

Votes: 86 50.3%
  • KK Arnold

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Azzi Fudd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ines Bettencourt

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that it's important to consider what Paige wants & what Paige thinks is best for her future in the WNBA.
Geno must give that some consideration in his mind too.
Perhaps similar to Hailey Van Lith, Paige wants the opportunity to be the primary PG so that she can prove that she can run an WNBA team as the primary ball handler.
That could increase her value, her visibility, her PG skills & maybe even her career longevity.
Maybe someday she'll be in the Oympics & sees herself as being the PG.
I remember when she said that she dreamed of passing the ball to Azzi to make the winning shot for a NC.
She had also bragged to Geno as a freshman about how she was best offensive player in the nation.
She's an alpha female on the court & Geno knows it.
She'll do anything for the team but if she wants to be the PG then I don't believe that Geno would want to deny her, especially if that's one of the reasons that she chose to attend UConn when she was recruited.
Sure she can play more than one position but she would still need to learn how to play PG well enough to lead her college team to a NC victory if that's what it takes to win it for herself, her teammates, Geno & her future.
Geno won't be able to say no, at least not for the majority of the time.
This is contrary to everything Geno has preached for his entire career and part of his criteria for whether to even recruit a player! He doesn't want a kid that puts themselves before the team and you do a great disservice to Paige to even suggest that she would consider putting or asking that he put her future interests above the teams best interests. She never has and never will.

Geno will start whomever he starts at PG this season because that player, from his prospective will best serve, at that position, the ends of making the team the best they can be. Chemistry, personality and skill sets will all play a part in his decision but in no way will the future interests of one player be part of that equation. Never has been and never will be.

If healthy, no one should worry about Paige's future, what she does on the court has and will speak for itself. There won't be a WNBA GM who is going to pass on Paige because they have a player on their roster, even a star, that plays at whatever position she has played in college. They know as many of us has pointed out that she is a generational talent with tremendous varied skillsets that allow her to play any guard position and believe me they will find a place for her in their starting five.

The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs, or even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball. It's has been Geno's prime deciding factor that the goal in who is included in the starting five will be determined by which five players will be most effective together on both the offensive and defense ends of the court, coupled with who on the roster will be most effective in coming in and immediately impacting the game as rotation players.

I've made it no secret, that I believe, in the motion offense and pressure defense many of us feel will be the goal this season, going with three guards and two bigs (1-2-2-4-4 (if no-one proves to be a true 5) or 1-2-2-4-5) will be our most effective lineup. Going into offensive sets we will either look to get a quick transition basket with a long outlet pass to a streaking player for a layup or bring the ball up quickly with a first pass to another crossing guard with everyone else and the ball in motion to exploit what the defense gives us. The ball is not going to be sitting in the PG or anyone else's hands for long. On defense we are going to want to continually pressure the ball handler, at times pressing full court and if they are in a half court offense always have well orchestrated switching.

IMO, our best use of the roster to accomplish this motion offense and pressure defense, based on what they have shown individually and in combinations, up to this moment in time (with some conjecture at the five as we have no obvious proven player at that position), would be Nika at the one, Paige and Azzi at the twos, Aaliyah at the four and either Jana or Ice at the five. With both Aubrey and Caroline coming in to immediately impact the game and disrupt the opponents game planning. IMO, that lineup from the start gives us three very capable ball handlers, two excellent passers with great court vision, atleast two or three exceptional scorers, an aggressive defense, good balance inside and out on both ends of the court and excellent chemistry and flow (my hopes are that both Ice and Jana being with the team last season even without playing in a game can fall right into a good rhythm). IMO, both Aubrey and Caroline can seamlessly blend into the mix with that group, adding different options on both offense and defense while taking away nothing. At this time, I see these seven being our core players and I would fully expect that as the season progresses others on this really talented roster will find their minutes!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
This is contrary to everything Geno has preached for his entire career and part of his criteria for whether to even recruit a player! He doesn't want a kid that puts themselves before the team and you do a great disservice to Paige to even suggest that she would consider putting or asking that he put her future interests above the teams best interests. She never has and never will.

Geno will start whomever he starts at PG this season because that player, from his prospective will best serve, at that position, the ends of making the team the best they can be. Chemistry, personality and skill sets will all play a part in his decision but in no way will the future interests of one player be part of that equation. Never has been and never will be.

If healthy, no one should worry about Paige's future, what she does on the court has and will speak for itself. There won't be a WNBA GM who is going to pass on Paige because they have a player on their roster, even a star, that plays at whatever position she has played in college. They know as many of us has pointed out that she is a generational talent with tremendous varied skillsets that allow her to play any guard position and believe me they will find a place for her in their starting five.

The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs, or even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball. It's has been Geno's prime deciding factor that the goal in who is included in the starting five will be determined by which five players will be most effective together on both the offensive and defense ends of the court, coupled with who on the roster will be most effective in coming in and immediately impacting the game as rotation players.

I've made it no secret, that I believe, in the motion offense and pressure defense many of us feel will be the goal this season, going with three guards and two bigs (1-2-2-4-4 (if no-one proves to be a true 5) or 1-2-2-4-5) will be our most effective lineup. Going into offensive sets we will either look to get a quick transition basket with a long outlet pass to a streaking player for a layup or bring the ball up quickly with a first pass to another crossing guard with everyone else and the ball in motion to exploit what the defense gives us. The ball is not going to be sitting in the PG or anyone else's hands for long. On defense we are going to want to continually pressure the ball handler, at times pressing full court and if they are in a half court offense always have well orchestrated switching.

IMO, our best use of the roster to accomplish this motion offense and pressure defense, based on what they have shown individually and in combinations, up to this moment in time (with some conjecture at the five as we have no obvious proven player at that position), would be Nika at the one, Paige and Azzi at the twos, Aaliyah at the four and either Jana or Ice at the five. With both Aubrey and Caroline coming in to immediately impact the game and disrupt the opponents game planning. IMO, that lineup from the start gives us three very capable ball handlers, two excellent passers with great court vision, atleast two or three exceptional scorers, an aggressive defense, good balance inside and out on both ends of the court and excellent chemistry and flow (my hopes are that both Ice and Jana being with the team last season even without playing in a game can fall right into a good rhythm). IMO, both Aubrey and Caroline can seamlessly blend into the mix with that group, adding different options on both offense and defense while taking away nothing. At this time, I see these seven being our core players and I would fully expect that as the season progresses others on this really talented roster will find their minutes!
EXCELLENT post, and totally Troll proof.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

Exactly the way I see it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reaction Score

Super post. Especially the highlight of Geno's coaching which is obvious his 100% priority is winning each game.

And some points--

1-- Paige Bueckers best skills are utilized to support the team as a combo pg/wing not just as an individual as only the pg.
2--- Paige and Nika will both be pg's when they are on the court together.
3-- UCONN is playing college basketball not pros.. The pros isolate more. and they pay money for supporting players to for example just sit 20 feet from the basket and wait for a pass which they may get very few. UCONN recruits H/S A/A's. They came to get better as player's too.
4-- There are other player's on the team other than Paige Bueckers that also try to expand their game too.
6-- There are other player's on the team that can make Paige Bueckers better with the ball in their hands too. For example when Paige is shooting 46.4% from 3 like she did as a frosh, it means she is getting lot of passes. The 46.4% from 3 is equivalent to 69.6% from 2. Clearly many of those 3's were caught "off-the-ball" which is why it’s so wrong to assume her best is just pg.
7-- It's a myth that Azzi or Paige was being "doubled" when Nika was the pg unless pressed
. ***Overall, you can't double team perimeter playing Wings when they can take a lot of catch-and-shoot shots.
8-- It's a 40 minute game and with that Nik Muhl has had a history of winning big games (vs SC as a frosh. Vs Iowa this past year.) as the pg too. If her and the team aren’t playing well early then Geno can easily take out Nika. The point is "declaring" Nika as the starting pg doesn't mean she has to play much if she isn't playing well.
9--- The exaggeration that Paige will get "beat up" playing the SF. This is basketball. It is not a Kickboxing competition.
10-- The implied exaggeration of a mythical type of team that gets put on a pro level pedestal when Paige is mentioned at the SF spot. The exaggerations imply that the opposing team is pro level basketball team that are elite level in all categories, not just offensive rebounding.

***For the NCAA Tourney v the tough teams, unless Caroline is healthy and, on a roll, the chance Nika isn't starting is slim. More than likely, UCONNs top scorers are Paige and Azzi. The goal to start the NCAAa tough games would probably be have your 2 superstars get as many chances to shoot as possible(natural assumption is that the good team isn't going to ealsily allow layups.). In this scenario you have both Paige and Nika as pg's and Paige is also a Wing. Paige shot an equivalent to 69.6% from 2 while taking 3's when playing a lot off-the-ball; Why anyone would so easily dismiss this is pretty mind-boggling. You want to encourage 69.6%.

Bottom line is Geno wants Paige and Azzi to shoot a lot. A great solution for this is to have a guard that through every inch of her soul wants to pass the ball and get Paige and Azzi shots. She shoots 34.9% from 3 which is pretty good. But in the NCAA Tourney you want your superstar scorers to shoot. ****Watch from 3:36 to 3:48 rd quarter of Iowa game the degree to what Nika does on a non-fastbreak to get Azzi the ball (despite Azzi not hitting a 3 for entire game before this.). Nika will do everythign she can in order to gte Paige and Azzi shots, even off-the-ball.

Reaction Score

"The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs, or even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball."

You are framing the opinions of those you disagree with in a way that supports your opinion.
I have Muhl starting games on the bench, not because I don't see her as important but because UConn is strongest with Bueckers at pg. There is no reason to have her play any other position because UConn is strong up and down the lineup. You move your star when there is a hole elsewhere only she can fill and that is not the case this season.

Reaction Score
"The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs, 0r even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball."

You are framing the opinions of those you disagree with in a way that supports your opinion.
I have Muhl starting games on the bench, not because I don't see her as important but because UConn is strongest with Bueckers at pg. There is no reason to have her play any other position because UConn is strong up and down the lineup. You move your star when there is a hole elsewhere only she can fill and that is not the case this season.
Not sure I understand the premise of your first sentence. For clarity, if we remove the clause 'or even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves' ... which was directed specially to the poster I responded to. We are left with, "The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball." I don't see how that is framing the opinions of those I disagree with in a way that supports my opinion.

The question is who starts at point guard Paige or Nika. I assume we are both basing our opinions on who starts at that position in relation to best benefiting the teams success. You say Paige. I say Nika. You say Paige is most effective at the point and what she brings to the teams success at that position is superior to what she would bring at another position with Nika at the point. I say Paige will be as impactful or possibly more so with Nika at the point on the floor with her. I feel none of Paige's strengths are in anyway diminished by playing alongside Nika and I feel what Nika adds to the potential of team success is a net positive on both defense and offense. Going beyond just the question of Paige or Nika at the point, you see more value of an alternate starter than Nika and I don't. The bottom line is I feel the team will be more successful with Nika starting as opposed to coming off the bench and you don't. We have both shared our reasoning for our positions in great detail in the body of the 155 posts proceeding this one and in other threads. We simply disagree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand the premise of your first sentence. For clarity, if we remove the clause 'or even in a few poster's opinion, as reflected in your post, deserves' ... which was directed specially to the poster I responded to. We are left with, "The basic disagreement in this thread is that some feel Paige needs to play the PG this upcoming season and others feel she can be every bit as effective, perhaps even more so playing off the ball." I don't see how that is framing the opinions of those I disagree with in a way that supports my opinion.

The question is who starts at point guard Paige or Nika. I assume we are both basing our opinions on who starts at that position in relation to best benefiting the teams success. You say Paige. I say Nika. You say Paige is most effective at the point and what she brings to the teams success at that position is superior to what she would bring at another position with Nika at the point. I say Paige will be as impactful or possibly more so with Nika at the point on the floor with her. I feel none of Paige's strengths are in anyway diminished by playing alongside Nika and I feel what Nika adds to the potential of team success is a net positive on both defense and offense. Going beyond just the question of Paige or Nika at the point, you see more value of an alternate starter than Nika and I don't. The bottom line is I feel the team will be more successful with Nika starting as opposed to coming off the bench and you don't. We have both shared our reasoning for our positions in great detail in the body of the 155 posts proceeding this one and in other threads. We simply disagree.

So it's either Nika and Bueckers vs Bueckers alone? You refuse to compare apples to apples. Give me any five player UConn lineup you like with 3 guards and I'll make it more complete/better by replacing the third guard. It's not about Muhl to me, it's the 3 guard lineup and Muhl happens to be third guard.

UConn is going to have more than one player coming off the bench that could start. They will likely get starter minutes in most games and in some games could end up the best player on the team that day. But they will not start.

Reaction Score
So it's either Nika and Bueckers vs Bueckers alone? You refuse to compare apples to apples. Give me any five player UConn lineup you like with 3 guards and I'll make it more complete/better by replacing the third guard. It's not about Muhl to me, it's the 3 guard lineup and Muhl happens to be third guard.

UConn is going to have more than one player coming off the bench that could start. They will likely get starter minutes in most games and in some games could end up the best player on the team that day. But they will not start.
Your point is reasonable. But I think it matters what we mean by “3 guards.” A confusion here and we end up speaking at cross purposes.

In the 3 guard lineup, I think many of us are thinking of a PG and 2 SGs. You appear to be thinking of a PG an SG and a wing. If we think of it in the former sense, then your claim that there’s “more than one player coming off the bench that could start” doesn’t seem persuasive. Who is the player coming off the bench who is better as a PG or an SG? Caroline? Aubrey? Inês? KK? Ashlynn? Qadence? It should be obvious that none of these players is obviously better at either of these positions.

Perhaps you mean Caroline and Aubrey finish at the rim better than Nika. This seems true. But Aubrey is not a viable SG and doesn’t have the handles to be a PG. Caroline has better handles and a lot more confidence as a perimeter shooter. And like Aubrey she brings significant defensive and rebounding skills. But these really show why both of them are really wings, not PGs or SGs. Can Caroline cover the SG spot? Yes, of course, especially as a shooter. But she lacks the quickness to be a great perimeter defender. And if we stick her out there we give up some of her great virtues as a rebounder and shot blocker. By contrast, Aubrey can be a great perimeter defender.

Now if we shift gears and think of the 3 guards as a PG an SG and a wing, then your argument becomes much more compelling. Paige Azzi and Caroline/Aubrey really is preferable to Nika Paige Azzi. They would be the players on the bench who should start in place of Nika. I think this is not a bad plan and have rehearsed the virtues of this lineup several times already.

However, this is not our best pressing lineup, and many of us have expressed a longing to see that form of the Huskies again. What’s our best pressing lineup? I’d say it’s Nika Paige Azzi Aubrey Aaliyah. This gives us good defensive intensity and some serious scoring punch. It isn’t Paige Azzi Aubrey Caroline Aaliyah. I trust you can see why I think this.

Could we use Inês KK and Ashlynn in our pressing lineup? I certainly hope so. But I am not prepared to say any of them will be better than Nika in that lineup. At least not yet.

Reaction Score
OK, we can talk until we're blue in the face, or type until our finger tips bleed as the case may be, and no one's opinion is ever going to change. Despite the records and accolades (not to mention Geno's opinion) there are those on the BY who will never accept that Nika is the best option as the starting PG. I'm entertained by the posts (I paraphrase) that profess Nika love but want her crazy glued to the bench.

This surpasses what ONO had to put up with. Was there ever a player more polarizing?

Reaction Score
OK, we can talk until we're blue in the face, or type until our finger tips bleed as the case may be, and no one's opinion is ever going to change. Despite the records and accolades (not to mention Geno's opinion) there are those on the BY who will never accept that Nika is the best option as the starting PG. I'm entertained by the posts (I paraphrase) that profess Nika love but want her crazy glued to the bench.

This surpasses what ONO had to put up with. Was there ever a player more polarizing?
In answer to your question, I don't believe there has been. In my memory I don't remember as many threads centered on one player ending up locked at the rate Nika-centric ones have which speaks to your point. Although there remains firm opposing stances, as you noted, atleast the discussion hasn't degraded to the degree that many. many of the other 'Nika threads' have, which is a positive. One thing I believe that can be agreed upon by all, but perhaps a small handful, even on the BY (as Geno has labeled her) 'Nika is unique' and we are all glad she chose to become a Husky!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well Geno loves his 3 guard line-ups. If he has the opportunity, he almost always goes with a 3 guard line-up. And this year, he has the opportunity. So your "making it more complete/better" is in complete opposition to what Geno normally does.

So if we are discussing "who Geno is starting", as opposed to "who I would start", then The Kid, the Icon, Fudd and Edwards are starting. You can call them 1/2/3/4/5's or PG/SG/W/F/C or whatever. Those 4 (if healthy) are who Geno is starting. Somebody should start a thread on who the 5th starter will be. Ice, Griffin, CFD, El Afly, Patterson??? That's the one we don't know.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Everyone has an opinion on who is going to start, and most of us have mentioned the two obvious options. But no matter who does or doesn't start, there are some players who must have great seasons if we go on to the NC game. Paige, Nika, Azzi, Aaliyah, Caroline, and Aubrey have been through the wars. They are the key to getting there, know how hard it is, and know who is in their way and know how to get it done. They will be the mentors of who will step up to help them, who can play to their god given abilities, and who can withstand the pressure of being a hunted team like the Huskies. Jana, Ashlynn, KK, Ice, we surmise they have the ability to be those players, and maybe Q, Ayanna, and even Amari will surprise us if they can get it together. We have a great overall team, and there can be many options with the playing time. God willing, this can be the most fun season since the Collier and Samuelson years, and definitely the most since Paige arrived on campus. As I have already said, the good players will get in there if they can help us and a starting line-up does not make a full team. 14 players are ready to go, and the ride will be terrific, so however you feel about the first 5, the final score will be in our favor, and I don't give a dam who takes us over the top. We are UConn, and this will be our finest season in years. Go Huskies!!

sun

Reaction Score
Possible % breakdown of PT for players performing PG duties over the course of the season.
It can change on a game to game basis depending on the opponent & player availability.
IMO Paige will be handling PG duties by about a 2 to 1 ratio over Nika.

Paige - 40% to 50%
Nika - 25% to 30%
KK - 10% - 20%
Azzi & "Just Go" by committee - 15% - 25%
Ines - 5%

Paige only has 1.5 years of PT.
Due to her long lay off Geno will want to have her develop new team chemistry with all of the new teammates.
The whole WCBB world will be watching how Geno manages the roster & seeing Paige make a comeback.
Nika will be starting during her European farewell tour & Paige will be watching from the sidelines.
Geno would be derelict to not give Paige the opportunity to prove that she's a capable team leader.
Nika can also play the defensive point while the team engages in playing Just Go by committee at PG because there will be extra ball handlers & to give the offense a new look.
The needs to be able to adapt quickly to all of the new possible substitutions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige - 40% to 50%
Nika - 25% to 30%
KK - 10% - 20%
Azzi & "Just Go" by committee - 15% - 25%
Ines - 5%
That's not a bad thought. I'd probably change the PG percentages a little for Nov-Dec at least, more or less like this:

Nika - 60% (i.e. she'll be on the floor about 25 mins/g, and if she's on the floor, she's the PG)
Paige - 25% (i.e. she'll be playing off the ball most of the time)
Azzi - 5%
Ines - 5%
KK - 5%

Since Nika won't get any SG mins, that means there's lots of room for Inês KK and Ashlynn to get some early season mins in one of those slots without crimping Paige and Azzi's minutes.

sun

Reaction Score
That's not a bad thought. I'd probably change the PG percentages a little for Nov-Dec at least, more or less like this:

Nika - 60% (i.e. she'll be on the floor about 25 mins/g, and if she's on the floor, she's the PG)
Paige - 25% (i.e. she'll be playing off the ball most of the time)
Azzi - 5%
Ines - 5%
KK - 5%

Since Nika won't get any SG mins, that means there's lots of room for Inês KK and Ashlynn to get some early season mins in one of those slots without crimping Paige and Azzi's minutes.
The problem with giving Nika so much PT at PG is that Paige needs to be thoroughly comfortable with assuming PG duties if Nika gets injured or sick.
Nicka has missed PT during 2 NCAAT's due to injury.
I'm also concerned that much like Azzi, Paige becomes more of a target for injury by taking errant hits when playing off the ball.
Some NCAA players can act like reckless pinballs on the court.
Just look at what happened to Lou.
It's akin to MLB pitchers hitting batters which ends up with the batter on the IL.
BB is a contact sport so injuries are just a fact of life.
Whether Paige or Nika miss any PT due to injury or ailments or not, KK, Azzi & Ines need to be well prepared in the event that one of the primary PG's goes down.
That's why I think that Geno will use some of the Just Go committee approach because he was preparing Azzi to do it last year until she got injured the 1st time.
I see a role for KK in BE games and perhaps before as she proves herself capable of not committing TO's & making smart decisions.
KK & Paige need to develop chemistry together.
Paige is a master ball distributor as long as she has weapons to pass the ball to.
By Match Madness I'd expect Paige to be the PG by a ratio 3 or 4 to 1 over Nika unless the committee approach is super successful.
Geno has always placed his trust in Paige more than anyone else.
Last year's season results only reinforces that by UConn losing BE games because they couldn't score enough points & too many turnovers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with giving Nika so much PT at PG is that Paige needs to be thoroughly comfortable with assuming PG duties if Nika gets injured or sick
That's a reasonable concern. The problem with only playing Nika at PG 30% of the time -- i.e. 12 mins/g -- is that she won't get nearly enough minutes for what we need from her. Unless you think she's a viable SG. I don't.

sun

Reaction Score
That's a reasonable concern. The problem with only playing Nika at PG 30% of the time -- i.e. 12 mins/g -- is that she won't get nearly enough minutes for what we need from her. Unless you think she's a viable SG. I don't.
That can vary & it'll depend on how Paige's knee reacts in the early OOC games.
That's why Paige will be taking it slow until after Europe.
Playing the early schedule could be a little bit iffy, the games will be a pressure test for scoring efficiency & chemistry.
They both need to play to test their effectiveness & it will boil down to which combinations work best & who does Geno trust the most as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
Well Geno loves his 3 guard line-ups. If he has the opportunity, he almost always goes with a 3 guard line-up. And this year, he has the opportunity. So your "making it more complete/better" is in complete opposition to what Geno normally does.

So if we are discussing "who Geno is starting", as opposed to "who I would start", then The Kid, the Icon, Fudd and Edwards are starting. You can call them 1/2/3/4/5's or PG/SG/W/F/C or whatever. Those 4 (if healthy) are who Geno is starting. Somebody should start a thread on who the 5th starter will be. Ice, Griffin, CFD, El Afly, Patterson??? That's the one we don't know.

What Geno "normally" does is put the best five on the court. You seem to think he will play 3 guards even if he knows they aren't the best five? Or are you saying that geno believes that 3 guards is always better? Many years there are 3 guards among the five. Last year he had one guard and that was Muhl. Who else was there? Bettencourt. And at one point she was all he had. Senechal was a 6'1 wing. She ended up playing a guard position and that was partly why UConn's to's were so high but she was also a reason for Muhl's assist record.

Muhl, Fudd, Bueckers & Edwards? No.

Start with Bueckers, Fudd & Edwards and then add two more that best completes the five. When you look at Bueckers and Fudd you see two guards that can do everything that a pg & sg can do, and do them better than anyone else. You now think that the addition to make the team better is a third guard? That leaves one more player to share the entire front court load with Edwards? Why?

This isn't about criticism of Muhl, it's about Bueckers and Fudd being superlative players.

Reaction Score

I wasn’t going to say anything more on this thread, but I’ll add this. Some of us, like me, want Nika to start as pg because we think she is the best player to share the backcourt with Paige and Azzi, that she complements them better than any other player. But it is not unreasonable to want Paige to start as pg. She is the best pg in the country. It’s no disrespect toward Nika. I think everyone agrees that Nika is great. And if Geno eventually starts Paige as pg, as he might, I don’t think it will be out of disrespect toward Nika.

Reaction Score

The Icon?

Reaction Score
What Geno "normally" does is put the best five on the court. You seem to think he will play 3 guards even if he knows they aren't the best five? Or are you saying that geno believes that 3 guards is always better? Many years there are 3 guards among the five. Last year he had one guard and that was Muhl. Who else was there? Bettencourt. And at one point she was all he had. Senechal was a 6'1 wing. She ended up playing a guard position and that was partly why UConn's to's were so high but she was also a reason for Muhl's assist record.

Start with Bueckers, Fudd & Edwards and then add two more that best completes the five. When you look at Bueckers and Fudd you see two guards that can do everything that a pg & sg can do, and do them better than anyone else. You now think that the addition to make the team better is a third guard? That leaves one more player to share the entire front court load with Edwards? Why?

This isn't about criticism of Muhl, it's about Bueckers and Fudd being superlative players.

Some of us feel your entire view of "most complete" is "completely wrong." You can't in any definitive way in the manner you are attempting. definitively claim "most complete" when you have minimized/marginalized Paige at the SF position. Not only that, it appears you don’t believe she can walk and chew gum at the same time. She would be both pg and SF. So she can do both.

When you say as you do on post# 121 on this thread that Paige would be the SG and Azzi the SF this imo questions Pages toughness and athleticism. The fact you suggest this highlights how little you think of Paige’s overall game that she can’t even beat out Azzi as the SF to contest rebounds as an example.

Similar with you declaring Aubrey is the best transition player on the team. That's ridiculous and another marginalization you do against Paige. The point the transition starts is at the point of the first quick dribble - could be 80 feet from the basket, or one side pass to the guard then the guard looks up/starts a quick dribble/makes a shot pass etc. Let me ask you this - Edwards grabs a contested rebound and makes a short shuttle pass to Nika. Then Nika looks up the court and passes to Paige. => So in your opinion who is the pg in this scenario?

Looking forward to NCAA – and what makes Nika special playing with Paige and Azzi is that this trio passing group on the court together for a top ranked team, maybe the greatest passing trio that WCBB has ever seen in a long, long, long, long time. Also, people say they want UConn to press. Well, when you press many times you do it to push pace. It would be a spectacular show to see this trio on National TV during the NCAA's that three different ballhandlers in which the defense can’t key on one fastbreak guard should be very special and exciting running fastbreaks. Most teams wouldn’t have seen this type of combo talent/skill. It could be a terrific show. Anyhow Basketball is so much more than 1 player. And your view of Paige is so limited. I'll ask again from scenario above-- it wouldn’t be unusual - "who is the pg the moment Paige catches the pass from Nika in transition while Paige is 50+ feet from the basket?"

Reaction Score

This does get very confusing. I am not putting Bueckers at pg, sg or sf. It's those who want Muhl to start that keep trying to justify it by saying Bueckers is better at the 2/3 than anyone. My entire point is that Bueckers and Fudd have the back court covered. What the starting team needs most is size and versatility. Muhl isn't on that list and there are several on it that can do several of those things, and score. They are better at what Geno needs than Muhl. Simple as that.

I think UConn will be strongest if the 3 guards rotate so that 2 of them are on the court at all times.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

You remind me of Budfrog, a poster of long ago who was insistent that Ralph should have been starting, since she was undoubtedly one of the five best players on the team even as a freshmen. But Auriemma didn’t start Ralph. Nor did he start Sales when she was clearly one of the five best. He did not start Taurasi, even though Bird claimed she was the best player on the team even as a freshman. He started Doty when she was not one of the five best. He started Irwin when she was not one of the five best.

I make pizza bets for two reasons. One is for the camaraderie of it. The other is when I am convinced of something, but there is no point in debating with someone equally convinced of their side who cannot fathom a contrary rationale.

In this thread you stated some of your points were not being addressed by those who differ. Neither are you even acknowledging the contrary rationale that some have proposed, as you stick to your “Budfrog mantra” that the best five always start.

I also see that you have alluded to a bet as well. So let’s do it. Granted my travel is limited as a 24/7 caregiver, but at some point I will be able to meet you anywhere. I will bet you a pizza that Muhl starts. I will even give you odds. Rather than continue to talk past each other, oblivious to each other’s rationales, let’s just end this with the bet.

Reaction Score
I think that it's important to consider what Paige wants & what Paige thinks is best for her future in the WNBA.
Geno must give that some consideration in his mind too.
Perhaps similar to Hailey Van Lith, Paige wants the opportunity to be the primary PG so that she can prove that she can run an WNBA team as the primary ball handler.
That could increase her value, her visibility, her PG skills & maybe even her career longevity.
Maybe someday she'll be in the Oympics & sees herself as being the PG.
I remember when she said that she dreamed of passing the ball to Azzi to make the winning shot for a NC.
She had also bragged to Geno as a freshman about how she was best offensive player in the nation.
She's an alpha female on the court & Geno knows it.
She'll do anything for the team but if she wants to be the PG then I don't believe that Geno would want to deny her, especially if that's one of the reasons that she chose to attend UConn when she was recruited.
Sure she can play more than one position but she would still need to learn how to play PG well enough to lead her college team to a NC victory if that's what it takes to win it for herself, her teammates, Geno & her future.
Geno won't be able to say no, at least not for the majority of the time.
Many on this forum ask the question when will Geno retire. Not attacking @sun but maybe just coming on board a couple of years ago you may not know a lot about Geno. He does care very much about his players and their future and their legacy. A bit here....

Just my view from following the women's game somewhat before Geno arrived and ever sense. The day a player will decide what position and how much they will play will be when Geno is no longer on the bench. He gets paid 3 million dollars a year to win games and represent UConn putting players in position to do that. Their future in the WNBA is on the individual player not the college coach.

No need to add another link but you can find anywhere how well UConn players are WNBA ready.
In today's world if they feel they are being mistreated or not properly trained there is the transfer portal. UConn / Geno has benifited from it more than he has lost to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom