Who will average the most PPG this season... | The Boneyard

Who will average the most PPG this season...

Who will average the most PPG this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i wanted to test out the poll feature again and see how many possible responses it allowed. looks like a max of 10. Sorry Lauren!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I picked Stef. I could be wrong, but if it is PPM, I feel more confident. If Doty stays healthy, she might be my pick.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I picked Stef. I could be wrong, but if it is PPM, I feel more confident. If Doty stays healthy, she might be my pick.
i really think it will be Stef or Tiff. i have a hard time imaging KML having the consistency to average over 15 PPG... but maybe she's just that good!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wild guesses:

Stef 16--primary option, easy buckets inside, good FT shooter
Kaleena 15--best shooter ever at UConn
Tiff 14--senior with a complete arsenal
Bria 12--will hit key shots, but focus on distributing
Kelly 8--will focus on things other than scoring
Caroline 7--will get good PT and focus on distributing
Brianna 7--great in some games, typical frosh in others
Kiah 5--focus on defense and rebounds, but will hit double figures in games
Heather 4--also focus on defense and rebounding
Lauren 3--improved play over last year, but hard to get minutes
Michala 2--same as Lauren

The total is 93. However, some players will not play in some games for various reasons. I think we average 82-85 ppg as a team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i really think it will be Stef or Tiff. i have a hard time imaging KML having the consistency to average over 15 PPG... but maybe she's just that good!

Yes, she is. But I have Stef at 1 point higher.

Reaction Score
Especially if she gets significant playing time at shooting guard (with Caroline or Brianna at PG) I see Bria as being the top scorer. Then Stef.

Reaction Score
I voted for Kaleena because she is a pure shooter that can score at will. Stef was my second choice.

Reaction Score
My Wild guesses:

Stef 15--primary option, easy buckets inside, good FT shooter
Kaleena 14--best shooter ever at UConn
Tiff 12--senior with a complete arsenal
Bria 12--will hit key shots, but focus on distributing
Kelly 6--will focus on things other than scoring
Caroline 6--will get good PT and focus on distributing
Brianna 5--great in some games, typical frosh in others
Kiah 4--focus on defense and rebounds, but will hit double figures in games
Heather 2--also focus on defense and rebounding
Lauren 2--improved play over last year, but hard to get minutes
Michala 2--same as Lauren

The total is 80. Conservative thinking, tempered by team and player history where revalent.

Reaction Score
In the last decade four players have been able to avg over 15 ppg in any season. They were Renee 1x, Tina 2x, Diana, 2x, and Maya 4x. As someone that has seen KML play a pretty decent amount I don't expect 15 ppg from her next season either. In fact I would be surprised if any player averages 15 per game. In the last 12 seasons only six times has a team had at least one player avg more than 15 points per game. I think people can figure out which years from the names above.

Reaction Score
Kaleena because she will raining in 3's both went they matter and in blow-outs. Gino will have her in there to give her playing time, to give the other starters a rest, and to make certain that the other team doesn't make a comeback.

Reaction Score
In the last decade four players have been able to avg over 15 ppg in any season. They were Renee 1x, Tina 2x, Diana, 2x, and Maya 4x. As someone that has seen KML play a pretty decent amount I don't expect 15 ppg from her next season either. In fact I would be surprised if any player averages 15 per game. In the last 12 seasons only six times has a team had at least one player avg more than 15 points per game. I think people can figure out which years from the names above.
Maya came in when there was a substantial need for scoring. This year, KML is in a similar situation, this time filling the scoring gap created by Maya graduating. While it won't necessarily be easy, I think KML will average at least 15 ppg.

Reaction Score
Maya came in when there was a substantial need for scoring. This year, KML is in a similar situation, this time filling the scoring gap created by Maya graduating. While it won't necessarily be easy, I think KML will average at least 15 ppg.

That argument equates KML with Maya, which is something that's not true. KML is a talented scorer, but she does not compare to Maya. Maya was already averaging 16.5 pts per game before Kalana got hurt and Maya was only coming off the bench. Maya would have likely averaged over 15 points per game on any UConn team as a freshman, and probably lead most of them in scoring. Maya was unique. No other freshman in UConn history has averaged 15 points per game including about a dozen All-Americans who have their number up on the wall in Gampel.

Reaction Score
That argument equates KML with Maya, which is something that's not true. KML is a talented scorer, but she does not compare to Maya. Maya was already averaging 16.5 pts per game before Kalana got hurt and Maya was only coming off the bench. Maya would have likely averaged over 15 points per game on any UConn team as a freshman, and probably lead most of them in scoring. Maya was unique. No other freshman in UConn history has averaged 15 points per game including about a dozen All-Americans who have their number up on the wall in Gampel.
No I don't equate the two. However, KML can shoot with anyone in the country including Maya. There's a need and she'll have plenty of opportunities to score. We shall see.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No I don't equate the two. However, KML can shoot with anyone in the country including Maya. There's a need and she'll have plenty of opportunities to score. We shall see.
Actually, KML is a better pure scorer than Maya is/was. it remains to be seen if she will get to 15 PPG and if she will start or come off the bench. Geno has said she not only shoots and scores, but she does a lot of other things well too.

Reaction Score
Actually, KML is a better pure scorer than Maya is/was. it remains to be seen if she will get to 15 PPG and if she will start or come off the bench. Geno has said she not only shoots and scores, but she does a lot of other things well too.

Stating that KML is a better pure scorer than Maya is quite a statement. What are you basing that on?

Reaction Score
But she can't run the fast break like Maya, she can't offensive rebound like Maya, she can't finish at the basket like Maya, and she can't elevate on her jump shot like Maya to get it off. KML is a talented player, but Maya was indeed that much better. Shooting alone doesn't allow a UConn player to average 15 pts per game. It is a much higher threshold than people think it is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stating that KML is a better pure scorer than Maya is quite a statement. What are you basing that on?
Their high school statistics. KML was better in several categories. she scored 2,744 total points to Maya's 2,664. KML had 874 rebounds to Maya's 613. she also had 337 total 3-pointers in high school - i'm not sure how many Maya had, but i doubt it was that many. on top of that KML averaged 2.5 assists/game and 2.2 steals/game over her high school career. but i was talking about pure scoring. not scoring, rebounding, etc.

it remains to be seen what kind of impact KML will have on the team and what sort of career she will have.

Reaction Score
Their high school statistics. KML was better in several categories. she scored 2,744 total points to Maya's 2,664. KML had 874 rebounds to Maya's 613. she also had 337 total 3-pointers in high school - i'm not sure how many Maya had, but i doubt it was that many. on top of that KML averaged 2.5 assists/game and 2.2 steals/game over her high school career. but i was talking about pure scoring. not scoring, rebounding, etc.

it remains to be seen what kind of impact KML will have on the team and what sort of career she will have.

High School stats? As someone who has watched a number of Kaleena's games, she's not a better pure scorer than Maya. Which shouldn't be a surprise that she's not as good as the best scorer by far in UConn history and one of the best in NCAA history.

I don't want to create the impression I'd down on Kaleena because I'm a huge fan of the way she plays and especially her all around game. I'm just trying to offer what I consider realistic expectations as someone who has watched a decent number of Kaleena's games and knows UConn history and statistics fairly well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
High School stats? As someone who has watched a number of Kaleena's games, she's not a better pure scorer than Maya. Which shouldn't be a surprise that she's not as good as the best scorer by far in UConn history and one of the best in NCAA history.

I don't want to create the impression I'd down on Kaleena because I'm a huge fan of the way she plays and especially her all around game. I'm just trying to offer what I consider realistic expectations as someone who has watched a decent number of Kaleena's games and knows UConn history and statistics fairly well.
well we shall see. she scored more than Maya in high school. that's a simple fact. sorry if you disagree but the facts are what they are. you keep referring to her all around game and i'm simply stating she was a better pure scorer in high school than Maya. there's really no argument there as KML simply scored more. and apparently she was a better rebounder too. oh, and of her 2,744 total points in HS, only 1,011 of them came from 3 pointers so it's not like she sat beyond the arc and launched up the 3 ball. 1,733 of her points came from 2 point shots or FT's.

so first you asked me what i based my opinion on - and i answered by stating her high school scoring was better than Maya's. then you follow up by saying you've seen her play and she's simply not as good. not trying to be contrary but i was not arguing she was going to have a better career at UCONN than Maya did. or that she was a better all around player.

i'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, and you are clearly one of the more knowledgeable posters on the BY, but you sometimes seem to just want to be contrary. now where's that shrug emoticon when i need it??!!! lol

now will that all translate to the college game? will her lack of athleticism hurt her and make it more difficult to get her shot off? i have no idea. probably. but either way we get 4 years to enjoy this young lady. do i think she breaks Maya's scoring record at UCONN? no. but i think she breaks Tina's, or at least comes very close...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This discussion about KML and Maya caused me to think back to early in Maya's freshman year. I seem to remember some observers of the high school basketball scene (I'm talking about scouting sites) saying that Maya was not a consistent 3-point shooter and would need to work on that part of her game. I just recall being surprised by how well she shot 3-pointers from the start of her career and that some of the scouting services seemed to underestimate that part of her game. Is my memory wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom