Who was defending Sims last year in Hartford? | The Boneyard

Who was defending Sims last year in Hartford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I was there, but I don't have a copy of the game. It seemed to me during the game that UConn took a long time to recognize the threat Sims posed, and she lit them up with several 3-pointers. Odyssey finished with only 2 fewer points than Griner put up.

Anybody remember who defended her?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sims was 3-3 from beyond the arc in last year's game and all 3 were in the last five minutes of the first half and (I think) from the corner which is her favorite spot. (According to Blair she really likes the left corner.) I don't recall who was guarding her but I'll guess it was Bria.

Reaction Score
When Lorin Dixon was in the game, she had the assignment of guarding Odyssey Sims. Throughout most of the game, the responsibility was borne by Bria Hartley. Despite offensive production that would suggest the contrary, the defense on Ms Sims was outstanding throught the game. Of Ms Sims 3 three-pointers:
1. From the right corner, highly contested by Bria Hartley.
2. Again from the right corner, highly contested by Lorin Dixon
3. Slightly right of the top of the key, very highly contested on a switch by Kelly Faris who was flying out aggressively to contest.

Was it ever mentioned in any threads that this was Baylor's 4th game in 5 days?

Has it been mentioned in any threads just how well Samarie Walker played against Baylor?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Both Samarie Walker and Heather gave good minutes against Brittany Griner. But Griner also hurt herself in that game...she allowed herself to be pushed away from the basket and was forced into taking shots that were not her bread and butter...then her foul shooting was atrocious and I can't for the life of me decide which of our three centers should be credited with having the best foul shooting defense. Seriously, Baylor's 4 games in 5 days was a factor as was the fact that they were playing us at home. We almost handed them the game last year. We were up by 16 at one point. I like our defense this year...we can do things that we couldn't do last year. We have more options on offense and we are deeper at the post in that we have an experienced Dolson and Heather and we have another big body in Kiah. We also have Michala if needed. It is possible that we will use all 15 fouls we have to give and we may need a couple more from Michala. I'm already nervous and anxious for this game to start.

Reaction Score
.We also have Michala if needed. It is possible that we will use all 15 fouls we have to give and we may need a couple more from Michala. I'm already nervous and anxious for this game to start.[/quote]

I really would like to see Michala have a great career at UConn but there is no way she sees anytime on the floor on Sunday. She is not ready for prime time yet.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
.We also have Michala if needed. It is possible that we will use all 15 fouls we have to give and we may need a couple more from Michala. I'm already nervous and anxious for this game to start.

I really would like to see Michala have a great career at UConn but there is no way she sees anytime on the floor on Sunday. She is not ready for prime time yet.

True but no one expected Heather last year until both Stef and Samarie fouled out.

Reaction Score
True but no one expected Heather last year until both Stef and Samarie fouled out.
Also true, but Stef and Samarie were both freshman playing in their third college game against probably the tallest player they had ever faced. This year Stef has more experience and Heather is also capable of providing quality minutes. I can't see both of them fouling out. Plus, Kiah will get significant minutes if Heather and Stef start having foul problems. Michala will not play tonight.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I was there, but I don't have a copy of the game. It seemed to me during the game that UConn took a long time to recognize the threat Sims posed, and she lit them up with several 3-pointers. Odyssey finished with only 2 fewer points than Griner put up.

Anybody remember who defended her?

If I remember, right, nobody.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Was it ever mentioned in any threads that this was Baylor's 4th game in 5 days?

Has it been mentioned in any threads just how well Samarie Walker played against Baylor?

UConn has tougher practices than Baylor's first three opponents last year.

Yes, Samarie Walker got no shortage of credit for her perfomance against Baylor. It was the reason many people were upset she left.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also true, but Stef and Samarie were both freshman playing in their third college game against probably the tallest player they had ever faced. This year Stef has more experience and Heather is also capable of providing quality minutes. I can't see both of them fouling out. Plus, Kiah will get significant minutes if Heather and Stef start having foul problems. Michala will not play tonight.
I agree I do not expect her to play but one never knows what happens in the course of a game. Sometimes things are forced on one.

Reaction Score
.Anybody remember who defended her?.
Despite some words to the contrary Sims did very well (see below). Hopefully this year's swarming defense will hold her to 7 points instead of 17.
................TOT-FG..3-PT.........BOARDS
Player Name.....FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA DE TOT Tyler Phommachanh A TO
SIMS, Odyssey....7-9.....3-3....0-2...6..6..17 2..5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members