Who was calling the offensive plays? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who was calling the offensive plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know a guy... he has access to the headset conversations and in fact, the plays were called by GDL and PP
If this is true, I will be changing my plans for Saturday Falls this year. I had made arrangements to have assistants coach my kids' hockey games on certain dates, but I will now seriously consider selling those tickets (giving them away) and enjoy coaching my kids' games instead of waste my time watching these two clowns further rot UConn Football. We're literally like an apple left outside in the middle of a heat wave. Decaying to nothing.

Reaction Score
I don't know the answer to your question, but GDL was not standing near PP most of the night. He was over at the bench doing a lot of coaching. Talking to the kids, showing them his board or whatever he was showing them. They don't seem to acknowledge him very much. PP paces a lot all by himself.

Challenging first sentence in this one. GDL was near PP when UConn was offense most of the game. Certainly he was talking to the OLine when D was on the field, and I saw a lot of bad body language from the players. Believe me I was looking. More entertaining/interesting than what was happening on the field.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know the answer to your question, but GDL was not standing near PP most of the night. He was over at the bench doing a lot of coaching. Talking to the kids, showing them his board or whatever he was showing them. They don't seem to acknowledge him very much. PP paces a lot all by himself.

GDL's coaching MO (as it pertained to offensive linemen) since he's been here was to berate them, tell them how much better the players he had at Cuse were and not explain what their assignments were in much detail (and then get angry at Foley when he tried to instruct the kids on what GDL was (barely) trying to tell them. I can understand the communication disconnect.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
come on man... you are that good that you are going to question every freaking play call in that game.
At some point the madness needs to stop.

The team was not ready. they played like crap. we were outmanned on the o-line, d-line and special teams.

I'll put that on Coach P. The offensive was getting beat easily and Whitmer was running for his life at times.
Let's not go overboard here.

Not even sure what you're saying here. If you're saying that I'm blaming this loss 100% on Weist, that's not what I was saying. If you're saying that Weist gets 0% blame, even though he is the OC and he went away from the only two weapons that were working last night, then you are flat out wrong.

If your OLine sucks and can't establish the run and the line only gives you 2 seconds worth of pocket, then you need to call out the old 5 to 6 yard dump offs to your trusty wide receivers that had been doing it all night. If you go away from the only formula that was working, then yes, you have to take some of the blame for the loss. Plain and simple.

C

Chief00

GDL's coaching MO (as it pertained to offensive linemen) since he's been here was to berate them, tell them how much better the players he had at Cuse were and not explain what their assignments were in much detail (and then get angry at Foley when he tried to instruct the kids on what GDL was (barely) trying to tell them. I can understand the communication disconnect.
Interesting comments. Anything further on the Foley observation?

Reaction Score
Interesting comments. Anything further on the Foley observation?

If this is really the case what does it say about Foley that he hasn't tried to get a job somewhere else. Who would put up with getting shoved aside by someone who does a worse job. Maybe for a while but it is year 3.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Not even sure what you're saying here. If you're saying that I'm blaming this loss 100% on Weist, that's not what I was saying. If you're saying that Weist gets 0% blame, even though he is the OC and he went away from the only two weapons that were working last night, then you are flat out wrong.

If your OLine sucks and can't establish the run and the line only gives you 2 seconds worth of pocket, then you need to call out the old 5 to 6 yard dump offs to your trusty wide receivers that had been doing it all night. If you go away from the only formula that was working, then yes, you have to take some of the blame for the loss. Plain and simple.
Danno I think someone turned Weists headset off,lmao!

Reaction Score

were you at the game?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
were you at the game?

You still haven't answered my question. Are you assuming I'm giving Weist 100% of the blame, or are you actually giving him 0%?

Reaction Score
You still haven't answered my question. Are you assuming I'm giving Weist 100% of the blame, or are you actually giving him 0%?
The only thing I could picture when reading your post is you in front of a large group of Uconn fans, pitchforks and torches in hand, marching down the campus in storrs, headed to WM's office. On the way, you run into TJ and after an ugly interaction, you yell at your group, "get him!!"...
So to answer your question, no, I don't think you are blaming him 100%. And I never said he should get a free pass.
your post was just a mob mentality, out to get anyone that could possibly be blamed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am not sure it would have made a difference anyway but....

Gdl had a headset and was near pp most of the night. Is it possible that we have a repeat of what happened in cuse? There were a few head scratchers reminiscent of gdl. The 3 runs and out bring one example. One of the horde needs to ask this question.
So this forum gave a range of opinions and we're no closer to determining who was making the calls. My gut tells me PP and GDL were running the show and Weist did his best to try to influence them but with little success.

It seems to me that GDL cannot accept failure and is in denial about himself. So he insists on repeating things over and over. PP and GDL are obviously good buddies, hence the post game interviews in which PP throws the OL players under the bus but not GDL.

My gut also tells me Weist was brought to UConn by Warde with the carrot of a head coach in waiting and that he would not be held responsible for this years outcome. His primary function this season was to to become familiar with the players and for the players to become familiar with him. Maybe Warde pulls the trigger sooner rather than later. Sooner if the players can't respond and the coaching fraternity in the state recognizes the futility in keep PP. He did this with KO.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The only thing I could picture when reading your post is you in front of a large group of Uconn fans, pitchforks and torches in hand, marching down the campus in storrs, headed to WM's office. On the way, you run into TJ and after an ugly interaction, you yell at your group, "get him!!"...
So to answer your question, no, I don't think you are blaming him 100%. And I never said he should get a free pass.
your post was just a mob mentality, out to get anyone that could possibly be blamed.

Marty, you've been on this board for a while. Do I strike you as the type of poster that tries to rile up the masses to get their pitchforks out? Really?? If anything, most people here have considered me to be optimistic about UConn to the point of perhaps requiring voluntary admittance into a psychiatric institution. :confused:

Next time I'll try not to post inflammatory comments, such as TJ Weist's playcalling being, "not too good". That one was a real doozy...

Reaction Score
Marty, you've been on this board for a while. Do I strike you as the type of poster that tries to rile up the masses to get their pitchforks out? Really?? If anything, most people here have considered me to be optimistic about UConn to the point of perhaps requiring voluntary admittance into a psychiatric institution. :confused:

Next time I'll try not to post inflammatory comments, such as TJ Weist's playcalling being, "not too good". That one was a real doozy...
Exactly... I had to double check that it was you post.
It's not like tj was pointing the finger elsewhere. I thought the play calling was improved. On offense I thought the struggle was on execution.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Exactly... I had to double check that it was you post.
It's not like tj was pointing the finger elsewhere. I thought the play calling was improved. On offense I thought the struggle was on execution.

I never said that TJ pointed the finger elsewhere. Yes, I agree that execution was a big struggle. Nothing made that more apparent than Mateas hiking the ball into his own jingle bells on a fourth-and-one. I'll even re-state the fact that I think that GDL's offensive line....and I mean offensive...was the major culprit in our demise on Thursday.

But given all that, there were still some things that were working on the field. Things that TJ went away from, particularly in the third quarter. And it's okay that we disagree from time to time, Marty. I still feel like TJ missed two opportunities, and their names were Shakim and Geremy...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I never said that TJ pointed the finger elsewhere. Yes, I agree that execution was a big struggle. Nothing made that more apparent than Mateas hiking the ball into his own jingle bells on a fourth-and-one. I'll even re-state the fact that I think that GDL's offensive line....and I mean offensive...was the major culprit in our demise on Thursday.

But given all that, there were still some things that were working on the field. Things that TJ went away from, particularly in the third quarter. And it's okay that we disagree from time to time, Marty. I still feel like TJ missed two opportunities, and their names were Shakim and Geremy...
You are generally one of the more level headed posters during a heated debate over most issues.

I agree with Marty that in this particular instance you are letting your passion lead your thought process. There is no way of knowing who called the plays. TJ could have been the only play caller or TJ could have suggested things and been over ruled. This thread had posters who claim they had evidence supporting both arguments.

If Warde is doing his job he'll be proactive in determining who was making the calls. And if he can't be certain I'm sure he'll set things up to ascertain the situation.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are generally one of the more level headed posters during a heated debate over most issues.

I agree with Marty that in this particular instance you are letting your passion lead your thought process. There is no way of knowing who called the plays. TJ could have been the only play caller or TJ could have suggested things and been over ruled. This thread had posters who claim they had evidence supporting both arguments.

If Warde is doing his job he'll be proactive in determining who was making the calls. And if he can't be certain I'm sure he'll set things up to ascertain the situation.

No, unfortunately, I'm not the one that's letting passion lead my thought process.

A passion-led thought process is one whereby people would rather believe that the new OC was not allowed to make the play calls rather than to say that he didn't do a good job because the people hate the other two guys as much as they do. Yeah, his head-set must have been turned off. Yeah, they probably just didn't let him call the plays. GDL must have been the one making the poor play calls when it started going bad in the second half. Why? Because they didn't work. So obviously, they couldn't have been TJ's.

I'm sorry my friend, but THAT sounds like passion-led thinking to me. If there was even a nugget of truth to it, Warde would be hearing about it and PP's demise would be expedited. It's as simple as that...

C

Chief00

Is or isn't the normal play calling process where the head coach has veto power over a OC calls?

Reaction Score
That goal line series after the McCombs run had GDL's fingerprints all over it - big I set followed by the wishbone? Hard to see Weist calling for that even from the 1 yard line.

And all the 3rd and shorts were runs up the gut by McCombs, what happened to putting in a bigger back like Max or Walsh? especially at the goal line

Reaction Score
I think that while TJ is the OC, all plays go through PP. PP is the play caller in essence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom