Who starts next season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who starts next season?

Reaction Score
Way too early to know. IF Geno continues to start Kyla the rest of the year, I could see Paige starting next year. But I think that's unlikely. My starting 5:

Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Walker, ONO

HUGE minutes off the bench - Griffin, Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl

6-8 MPG - McLean

Mop up time or possible redshirt (like Jess Moore - non medical), Gabriel.

People have asked "how do you keep everyone happy". My solution - not a single starter averages over 25 MPG. If the starters take up about 110 MPG, that leaves 90 for the remaining 7. With a group that large, I can almost guarantee there will be someone in the doghouse, injured, sick, etc. So that leaves 6.

20 MPG for Bueckers and Griffin, 16 for Muhl and Edwards. That leaves 14 minutes for McLean and Gabriel. Again, if someone is injured, sick, dog house, it will be easier. But Geno's first step is to get all the starters to buy into less minutes per game.

Lastly, how do you keep players happy if they are playing 12-18 minutes off he bench? IMHO, run up the score. Sorry opponents, but it's not our job to keep the score down. Geno will have a huge roster and that means letting the subs and reserves go out and play intense defense, full court press, fast breaks, etc. I seriously could see us averaging close to, or over 100, PPG next season and the season after.
I wonder about Westbrook as a starter. What she did at Tennessee...well, I don’t really need to complete that sentence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am most excited about Geno being able to send clear messages to players by benching them or not starting them to get maximum effort because the depth will be there....
I suspect those messages, if necessary, would be sent regardless of the size or quality of the roster.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'd be really surprised if Bueckers doesn't start every game of her four year career starting with game one.....................I can't recall a more college ready back court player...........................she's a freshman in name only
yes, this!

Reaction Score
Sounds like McLean is being underestimated some in this thread, I think she will see time on the court due to her rebounding, I can remember 5’11 sophomore Gabby getting the same number rebounds as 6’4 Stewie and more rebounds then 6’2 Tuck vs South Carolina, I think Mir can have a similar impact.

Reaction Score
I suspect those messages, if necessary, would be sent regardless of the size or quality of the roster.
I completely disagree. He can't really bench any of the starters right now like in past years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sounds like McLean is being underestimated some in this thread, I think she will see time on the court due to her rebounding, I can remember 5’11 sophomore Gabby getting the same number rebounds as 6’4 Stewie and more rebounds then 6’2 Tuck vs South Carolina, I think Mir can have a similar impact.
I agree that Mir can snag some rebounds but much like Gabby I can also see her be utilized to solidify the UCONN perimeter defense.

Reaction Score
LOL I think that the starters for next season should be: the experience set, Old Dude, Broadway VA, Meyers, Kibitzer, and myself (77 young). We can either run/walk; use our walkers/wheelchairs; or just wait for the other team to come back down the court to defend our offense.

Reaction Score
I agree with Huskee11
Bueckers
Ono
Walker
Westbrook
Williams
With Muhl, Gabriel, Edwards, Griffin and Makurat getting good minutes! This year is fun, next year with be FUNNER! Heh heh

Reaction Score
What if Meg skips her senior season for the WNBA..I think she is eligible

I will give up my Boneyard credentials (are they worth anything?) if Megan jumps ship to the WNBA...not when Evina Westbrook is sitting out this season so they can play together next year.

Reaction Score
I will give up my Boneyard credentials (are they worth anything?) if Megan jumps ship to the WNBA...not when Evina Westbrook is sitting out this season so they can play together next year.
Evina is also eligible to jump next year. Though she'll probably need at least one year of college ball to establish her game after her injury.
As far as Mir goes, their won't be anyone who plays any harder in practice then she will (Maybe as hard, but not harder).
Having Edwards and McLean on the court at the same time would be great fun to watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this is a very hard question. I'll start with some premises: (1) All the players are back, including WNBA-eligible Megan and Evina, and healthy; (2) Returning players who start this season (for the bulk of the season) will continue to start next year; (3) Experience trumps skill when the skill levels are fairly close; and (4) Some players will get major minutes but not start. Geno has already said he will go deeper into the bench next year.

That said, here's my choice. The first 4 are fairly easy (the first 3 are obvious).

Olivia--our only experienced big and a possible AA.

Megan--best player on the team and a likely AA this season.

Christyn--a really talented offensive player and possible AA.

Evina--experienced, athletic, and raring to go. She could be the PG or the SG.

Paige--an unusual talent.

I think that Kyla starting this season means that Anna comes off the bench this year and perhaps next year. If Geno goes back to Anna starting this year, he will NOT demote Anna to a non-starter next year. So, the 5th starter next year could well be Anna.

Other candidates for starting include Aubrey, who is uber athletic and will have a year at UConn under her belt, and Aaliyah, who gives us size and athleticism. She may be the best option for the power forward position. I wouldn't be shocked if Aaliyah starts, though I don't expect it.

I'd group Nika and Mir roughly together. Though she is a freshman, I think Nika could be the starting PG for half of the top 25 next year, but she won't surpass Evina or Paige. I expect big things from her. Mir is a bit like Aubrey, but has less of an offensive game. But she can certainly rebound and possibly defend. She'll get PT off the bench.

I think Piath is raw. In fact, Geno recently said, "She doesn't have any of that [offensive skill]." She will take some time, though she is our best combination of height and bulk.

The lineup for the following year will be hard to predict as well. Amari will compete for minutes. If we get Azzi, she could slide into Megan's slot. Tough choices--but good ones.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom