Who starts at OC? | The Boneyard

Who starts at OC?

Reaction Score
Crozier is gone. Stanley Hubbard seems to be first in line. But this might be a chance to get Christian Haynes on the field, he is a player often mentioned by Edsall. James Tunstall might also be competing.

Center is the only real opening on the offensive line although we are likely to hear Edsall wants competition at every position.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Christian Haynes is a guard. James Tunstall is a tackle.

Peter Rooney was getting scout team reps at center last I heard.

Reaction Score
Christian Haynes is a guard. James Tunstall is a tackle.

Peter Rooney was getting scout team reps at center last I heard.
The move from guard to center isn't tough away all most times if the person can handle the shotgun snap.

Reaction Score
It's all about offensive scheme and QB play. Don't expect center to make or break (hopefully not break) the offense. HCRE2.0 was a backup QB his whole playing career and valued his intangibles ('cause he didn't have the tangibles) and that's what he looks for in a QB.
Pick the wrong QB (like Pindell in 2017) and wrong offensive scheme (3 yards and a cloud of dust) and bad offense in 2019 (don't let the historically bad defense hide the very low scoring offensive stats for 2018) will make 2018 look like a highpoint in UConn offensive football.
Need one of the QB's to be soooooooooo good that he actually gets on the field and makes whatever lame scheme HCRE2.0 comes up with work. Remember it's never scheme or coaching it's always all about execution!

C

Chief00

It's all about offensive scheme and QB play. Don't expect center to make or break (hopefully not break) the offense. HCRE2.0 was a backup QB his whole playing career and valued his intangibles ('cause he didn't have the tangibles) and that's what he looks for in a QB.
Pick the wrong QB (like Pindell in 2017) and wrong offensive scheme (3 yards and a cloud of dust) and bad offense in 2019 (don't let the historically bad defense hide the very low scoring offensive stats for 2018) will make 2018 look like a highpoint in UConn offensive football.
Need one of the QB's to be soooooooooo good that he actually gets on the field and makes whatever lame scheme HCRE2.0 comes up with work. Remember it's never scheme or coaching it's always all about execution!
I would argue, we did not pick the wrong QB in 2017. Rather we should have stuck with Pindell for more than a portion of game 1. That was the beginning of the Lashlee / Edsall fracture and Lashlee was right.

Reaction Score
I would argue, we did not pick the wrong QB in 2017. Rather we should have stuck with Pindell for more than a portion of game 1. That was the beginning of the Lashlee / Edsall fracture and Lashlee was right.

Shirreffs' QB performance in 2017 was one of the better QB performances we have had in the Rent era. I highly doubt Lashlee would have preferred to use Pindell.

Pindell was an outstanding "Wildcat QB", we basically spent all of 2018 running the "Wildcat".

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Shirreffs' QB performance in 2017 was one of the better QB performances we have had in the Rent era. I highly doubt Lashlee would have preferred to use Pindell.

Pindell was an outstanding "Wildcat QB", we basically spent all of 2018 running the "Wildcat".
Pindell was the choice out of camp. Randy initiated the in game change and took credit for the win.

Reaction Score
My prediction..
Hubbard with Rooney as the back up for center
Def some changes on the two deep for spring ..Will have to see how it pans out come Fall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From Fuller's article, it looks like DeGeorge and Leone will be tested at center in an effort to open up a guard spot for Haynes

"The UConn coaches are extremely fired up about the potential of redshirt freshman Christian Haynes, so it would be surprising if he doesn’t take over one of the starting guard positions. The Huskies need to replace starting center Ryan Crozier and in the quest to get the five best offensive linemen out there, perhaps one of the returning starting guards (either Cam DeGeorge or Nino Leone) will get a chance at center"

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would think Nino would move but DeGeorge may back the best choice with his ability to move and pull.

Reaction Score
Someone will hopefully report back tomorrow after the first practice on the center and guard positions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom