Who stands in UConn women’s way for the national title? Could Paige Bueckers repeat as player of the year? | The Boneyard

Who stands in UConn women’s way for the national title? Could Paige Bueckers repeat as player of the year?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This year I think three super teams will dominate the discussion for most of the season. Last year the gap between whoever you considered #1, and #8 or #9 was not that big, say Arizona vs. Uconn or Stanford for example. This year 3 of the Final Four participants look to be not just a little better but greatly improved.

Obviously we are very excited with freshmen becoming sophomores, a great recruiting class coming in, only one significant loss (Anna) and if anything a much better transfer coming in (Dorka). We should be substantially better, but that is true of SC and Stanford as well.

Stanford is defending champion, and lost only one rotation player. Their two big time stars (Jones and Brink) return, they added a couple of good recruits. They should be better than the championship team. South Carolina may not have been quite that good last year, but could improve more than any of the top contenders. Everyone back, the #1 recruiting class at least according to ESPN, and the #1 transfer in Cardosa.

What is different for those three teams is I think they have separated themselves from the rest of the field, and I would be very surprised if the national champion came from anyone else, whereas last year it would not have been surprising at all and came close to happening with Arizona.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This year might result in a dominant team or maybe result in some of the top teams playing each other and win some and lose some, especially with out of conference schedules. Heck, even Brenda is playing multiple OOC games against teams in the Preseason Top 10. Could be a very interesting polling year.

Reaction Score
My guess is UConn has a decent shot this year but it would not surprise me at all if they fall short but if Dorka stays for a second year they can start printing the 2023 NC banner now.

Reaction Score
As good and as talented as UCONN is going to be this year and for the next few years, a National Championship is far from assured. Both SC and Stanford are really really good and I agree that Maryland Iowa, and several others pose significant challenges. If we win, it will be hard earned and well deserved. Constant improvement is imperative.

Reaction Score
My guess is UConn has a decent shot this year but it would not surprise me at all if they fall short but if Dorka stays for a second year they can start printing the 2023 NC banner now.
There won't be much change in the preseason discussion next year. All three favorites are deep and will remain deep.

Reaction Score
In one-and-done tournaments, the two most important variables are: 1). you need to know "how" to win close games and 2). luck. UConn has felt short in both the last several years...

Reaction Score
It’s interesting the majority of articles have South Carolina as national champions. Can’t say I totally disagree, but I’m suprised more people aren’t picking Uconn or Stanford

Reaction Score
It’s interesting the majority of articles have South Carolina as national champions. Can’t say I totally disagree, but I’m suprised more people aren’t picking Uconn or Stanford
Might be reasoning that we are the first that has a chance of getting knocked off our perch - today - at NC State. If we win, we deserve No. 1 (for now). If we lose, we get jumped.

Reaction Score
Might be reasoning that we are the first that has a chance of getting knocked off our perch - today - at NC State. If we win, we deserve No. 1 (for now). If we lose, we get jumped.
Thats a good point, I agree. I’ll be tuning in tonight

Reaction Score
On paper, there are a few teams that could stand in the way. But to me, no bigger opponent than the one looking back at these players than the one in the mirror. If these players buy in, stay healthy, trust each other, put the egos on the back burner, lock in & focus, they could run the table.

Reaction Score
UConn! Lot of new players suddenly in national spotlight, will they stay composed in pressure game when other team is hot?

Reaction Score
Stanford has a tremendous defensive presence and they can turn it on with depth. Williams was great last year but she was a negative contributor in the championship game. I think they are better than last year. The key difference being Jones ability to score on anyone and that defensive pressure. Maybe having a 10 player rotation of quality players has some benefits...

To me it's a toss up among those top 3. I would have given the edge to South Carolina and Stanford but I think our new additions are better than I expected. It's going to come down to which team can make plays against top defense.

Reaction Score
In one-and-done tournaments, the two most important variables are: 1). you need to know "how" to win close games and 2). luck. UConn has felt short in both the last several years...
I most respectfully, but very strongly disagree that we lost the last few years due to luck. On the same thought, with Stewie, our winning had nothing, nothing to do with luck.

We lost because we did not bring our "A" game in the FF each of the years post-Stewie. It is as simple, and as complex, as that.

Other examples abound. NovakD keeps winning not because of luck, but because he elevates his game deep in the majors. And before him, Roger Federer did the same. Michael Jordan--ditto.

I think my point is true, clearly true, if painful.

Thoughts?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I believe a couple of game winning shots in these FF losses could be seen as lucky. But luck is part of the game. Remember Paige's miracle (lucky) 3 pointer against SC? Not a FF situation but I think most people, UConn fans included, would consider it lucky.

Reaction Score
S.C., Baylor, Stanford and maybe Maryland could stand in the way of a Uconn Championship this year....but, I believe it is the players, who need to get out of their own way, if needed, to win it all.

Reaction Score
I believe a couple of game winning shots in these FF losses could be seen as lucky. But luck is part of the game. Remember Paige's miracle (lucky) 3 pointer against SC? Not a FF situation but I think most people, UConn fans included, would consider it lucky.
I respectfully disagree. We did not lose against Mississippi State because of the last-second shot in overtime. That was only the proximate cause, not the fundamental cause. We came out tight and overconfident. Down I think 16, we came back-which showed grit-- and tied it after three quarters. But, we did not put MS away in the fourth quarter. No one stepped up and took over the game. We looked passive. I kept waiting for us to go on a patented UConn 10-0 run, but we did not. Alas! To my eye, metaphorically, they were looking for Stewie to take over. But, alas, Stewie had graduated. So says I.

As I see it, this loss was not luck. (And hats off to VicS. After getting crushed by 60 the year before, and it could have been 100, but Geno would not do such a thing), they were on a mission to beat us.

Reaction Score
The answer to both questions starts with "no."

Who stands in UConn's way? Nobody.

Can Bueckers repeat? No, she won't score enough points to repeat.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. We did not lose against Mississippi State because of the last-second shot in overtime. That was only the proximate cause, not the fundamental cause. We came out tight and overconfident. Down I think 16, we came back-which showed grit-- and tied it after three quarters. But, we did not put MS away in the fourth quarter. No one stepped up and took over the game. We looked passive. I kept waiting for us to go on a patented UConn 10-0 run, but we did not. Alas! To my eye, metaphorically, they were looking for Stewie to take over. But, alas, Stewie had graduated. So says I.

As I see it, this loss was not luck. (And hats off to VicS. After getting crushed by 60 the year before, and it could have been 100, but Geno would not do such a thing), they were on a mission to beat us.
I respectfully disagree...when the final shot determines the game, it determines the game. IMO.
Let's agree to disagree and I plan to get back to the original thread topic.

Reaction Score
Boston and Jones come to mind. Maybe Brink. Maybe Uconn's Edwards or Dorka for that matter or Williams. There are clearly others. If you put Clark on Uconn she probably would put up similar numberts. I agree with registerduconn though in that Paige probably doesn't get enough shoots to win this year but her assist numbers go up I imagine. It's a long season and injuries are a factor.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As a legal degenerate gambler, I'm sad that I can't bet on UConn. I'd happily wager money on them to win it all. I truly feel like they are LOADED this year and feel good about their chances. Only they stand in their way.

Reaction Score
If Azzi, Dorka and Christyn play up to their capabilities and the team remains healthy it's going to be very, very difficult to beat UConn this season......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom