Who says that Napheesa is playing like an AA? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who says that Napheesa is playing like an AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know of a double double, but what is a 5 x 5?

I guess great minds think alike, cause I'm thinking that so far that Collier has been playing like an AA. What could you possibly ask or expect her to do that she's not doing?

She's making significant contributions on BOTH ends of the court on a regular basis. What else would she have to do to get YOUR AA vote? :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Hoping Jen takes GW to the next level and proves herself worthy. She has the presence and charisma for a high-visibility position, along with her AA, POY, NC chops and multiple head coaching positions.

When was the last time a coach of the status of Geno retired, and his/her successor came in behind them, and picked up where they left off? Whoever follows Geno, it's not going to be the same.
They're not Geno. It's not UConn. Geno could go to any other campus or institution of higher learning (and take his staff with him) and do the same thing. The players commit to HIM, not the school.
Even if one of his former assistants take his succeed him, it won't be the same. Anyone that believes it will is looking through rose colored glasses.

Look at the programs were a legendary coach retired. How did their program evolve? What happened when Wooden left UCLA? What happened to the Lady Volunteer program after Pat Summitt stepped down? What happened in Ruston when Leon Barmore left LA Tech? What happened in Austin after Jody Conradt left Texas? Indiana after Bob Knight left? There's a pattern here, do you see it?

Reaction Score
When was the last time a coach of the status of Geno retired, and his/her successor came in behind them, and picked up where they left off? Whoever follows Geno, it's not going to be the same.
They're not Geno. It's not UConn. Geno could go to any other campus or institution of higher learning (and take his staff with him) and do the same thing. The players commit to HIM, not the school.
Even if one of his former assistants take his succeed him, it won't be the same. Anyone that believes it will is looking through rose colored glasses.

Look at the programs were a legendary coach retired. How did their program evolve? What happened when Wooden left UCLA? What happened to the Lady Volunteer program after Pat Summitt stepped down? What happened in Ruston when Leon Barmore left LA Tech? What happened in Austin after Jody Conradt left Texas? Indiana after Bob Knight left? There's a pattern here, do you see it?
Never said I thought it would/could "be like Geno" after he leaves, but at least UConn could hire a coach with head coaching experience, to give it the best possible chance...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I've said before, I think Sue Bird is the best choice, given her Olympic / international / WNBA experience that Shea does not have. I know she says she doesn't want to coach, but I think she could be induced to take the bait.
I agree, but Sue says that Storrs is too small a town for her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I definitely agree with your point, but there is always that hope of catching lightning in a bottle-twice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Ummm - Uconn a few years ago on the men's side? Been a bit down since the last NC, but bring an NC home in the first three years on the men's side is pretty decent.

Reaction Score
If you don't believe your eyes or what others are saying even the advance stats confirm it. I think she's top five in efficiency rating last time I checked. She's simply a 'do it all' type of player who impacts the game on both ends of the court. Her numbers are just great across the board. She's such a key player right now.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I know of a double double, but what is a 5 x 5?
5+ points
5+ rebounds
5+ assists
5+ steals
5+ blocks

I confess. I have been a serious basketball fan for 70+ years. About 40 years ago I learned what a double-double was (Thanks, Oscar!) and more recently, a triple-double (now being patented by Russell Westbrook).

But the term 5 x 5 is one I never heard before. It seems beyond what a mere mortal baller can achieve under competitive conditions.

So now, Pheesa darn near did it. WOW! Which begs the question: Has anyone ever done it?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Never said I thought it would/could "be like Geno" after he leaves, but at least UConn could hire a coach with head coaching experience, to give it the best possible chance...

j66kicker, My comment was not directed to YOU personally. I just threw it out there for everyone to chew on. :)

Reaction Score
Thank God Geno had HC experience,lol.

Reaction Score
Thank God Geno had HC experience,lol.
Geno took "nothing" and made "something" out of it. There was zero risk in hiring him because there was nothing there to screw up. Over several decades he has made that "something" into the biggest and best. He never would have been handed the top job with whoever was the biggest and best back then, with no HC experience, and rightfully not. The golden goose has already been created at this point. Ideally we will find someone with D1 HC experience which includes publicity/media/public speaking/booster & politician schmoozing, in addition to recruiting, managing & motivating assistant coaches & staff, and plain old deep knowledge of the game and great teaching & coaching.

To get someone with most of this stuff PLUS an intimate knowledge of Geno and the "UConn Way" would be huge plus (Jen?). IMO hiring someone with the "UConn Way" but no HC experience (Shea) would be a much tougher go, with a lower probability of success.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ideally we will find someone with D1 HC experience which includes publicity/media/public speaking/booster & politician schmoozing, in addition to recruiting, managing & motivating assistant coaches & staff, and plain old deep knowledge of the game and great teaching & coaching.

To get someone with most of this stuff PLUS an intimate knowledge of Geno and the "UConn Way" would be huge plus (Jen?). IMO hiring someone with the "UConn Way" but no HC experience (Shea) would be a much tougher go, with a lower probability of success.

If HC experience is a vital prerequisite, Jen's the one. OTOH, if program continuity becomes the primary consideration, it's Shea. How about a tandem of Jen and Shea?

We have a few years and at least a dozen marathon threads to thrash about in the dark. I can wait. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno took "nothing" and made "something" out of it. There was zero risk in hiring him because there was nothing there to screw up. Over several decades he has made that "something" into the biggest and best. He never would have been handed the top job with whoever was the biggest and best back then, with no HC experience, and rightfully not. The golden goose has already been created at this point. Ideally we will find someone with D1 HC experience which includes publicity/media/public speaking/booster & politician schmoozing, in addition to recruiting, managing & motivating assistant coaches & staff, and plain old deep knowledge of the game and great teaching & coaching.

To get someone with most of this stuff PLUS an intimate knowledge of Geno and the "UConn Way" would be huge plus (Jen?). I5th season5MO hiring someone with the "UConn Way" but no HC experience (Shea) would be a much tougher go, with a lower probability of success.
Shea is on her 14th year at Uconn and 9th as an asst. coach. I would think she knows what the HC job is all about by being around it the last 9 years at the highest level of WCBB. Jen has been at Hartford before this year with the last 4 or5 years they were not that good. The media she faced there is a fraction what Uconn has on a average day. She won a few conference titles but nothing else. Shea has been there a long time and is happy but also one of Uconns toughest competitors. Her experience at Pitt (5 yrs) and Uconn as an asst. is better than Jen had at Hartford. Different levels as far as the programs go.

Reaction Score
Shea is on her 14th year at Uconn and 9th as an asst. coach. I would think she knows what the HC job is all about by being around it the last 9 years at the highest level of WCBB. Jen has been at Hartford before this year with the last 4 or5 years they were not that good. The media she faced there is a fraction what Uconn has on a average day. She won a few conference titles but nothing else. Shea has been there a long time and is happy but also one of Uconns toughest competitors. Her experience at Pitt (5 yrs) and Uconn as an asst. is better than Jen had at Hartford. Different levels as far as the programs go.
Shea's great experience should allow her to go out and get a very good HC job somewhere, learn that job, and prepare herself to be in the running for the "big one" when the time comes. Way different job

Reaction Score
Shea's great experience should allow her to go out and get a very good HC job somewhere, learn that job, and prepare herself to be in the running for the "big one" when the time comes. Way different job
Jen is still looking for a very good HC job because Hartford and George Washington dont prepare her for Uconns level. Way different jobs!

Reaction Score
Even though Geno and CD hopefully won't be leaving any time soon, I strongly suspect that the question of succession has already been thoroughly explored. And with the amount of time she's been there and the degree to which Geno seems to rely on her I also suspect that she's privy to the plan. I can't see her staying as long as she has if she didn't see some sort of future here.

Reaction Score
Geno is not going anywhere anytime in the near future. He is having fun, lots of fantastic new blood coming in. He is quite animated on the sideline and committed to this team. As long as his mental and physical health holds, he will continue to do what he loves.

Reaction Score
It seems to have slipped under the radar, but the front page story in today's Courant is an in-depth biography of our pheesa!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

why... what has Jen done? Shea is practically sitting on Geno's lap and we would rather see Jen, I truly don't get it! Shea has been by his side for 8 seasons and 4 as a player (along with asst. coaching at Pitt). She is almost like the 3rd best coach in WCBB (behind Geno and CD) coaching at the most powerball program in the country and she should be over looked for a "mid-major" coach who is just average.
BTW Geno didn't even have any Head Coaching "experience"...

Most assistant coaches get bumped up into the head spot to make the transition plain and simple!

4cd4a00d2d38e2972f53c96045fcb54d.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
didnt scroll down far enough... you nailed it
oops-clip-clipart-best-jo0Ilk-clipart.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member