Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am. | The Boneyard

Who on here is a UConn Alum? And who is not? I am.

Reaction Score
In reading many of these posts, I've gleaned that some of the posters are not UConn alums, but I haven't really been able to tell who is. So I thought I would ask. :) And if you do reply, how did you come to be a fan?

I graduated UConn before they even had a women's team. I used to play hoops daily in the old Field House, which Geno and CD fondly describe as the place they practiced while the track team was running around the track surrounding the court. I watched MANY men's games in the same venue, when they were members of the old Yankee Conference. Interestingly, there was a group of black students who remained seated during the national anthem, which did not bother me in the least. Kaepernick was definitely not the first!

I also attended Yale graduate school, but when people ask where I went to school I always say, "UConn," because that is where my fondest memories reside. And with 11 women's national championships and 4 men's championships, it is where the bulk of my most enjoyable fan moments have originated as well!

CLAS 1975

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No. I am from NYC. Became a fan during the 1995 season when a team from our little corner of the US led by a brash and confident coach
had a team that played with incredible teamwork and high intensity at the same time. It did not hurt that this was a period of stagnating bully ball from the NY Knicks which
was such a turn off.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm a native Nutmegger but not an alum. Brother, sister, BIL, and SIL, plus some non-nuclear family memters are/were, though.

Reaction Score
St. Lawrence; grad degree from Syracuse. Have always felt welcomed as an ardent UCONN Huskies fan.....::):):)

Reaction Score
Not a UCONN Grad... but I did go to college in Connecticut... a bit south of UCONN at the US Coast Guard Academy.

Became a UCONN fan through my Sister-in-law and her husband in Niantic. They are serious UCONN Basketball Fans. They don't miss a game (Men or Women) on TV...and they occasionally go to games at Gampel and XL. Over the years, when we visited them, if UCONN was playing on TV, we HAD to watch too. I started paying more attention UCONN WBB during the Stewie years...and would say I was hooked on UCONN WBB by her senior year. I am constantly amazed by the motion offense, the great passing, the unselfishness of the players, the TEAM game they play. I became BY member just a little over a year ago...because I didn't know there was such a magical place before then. Now my Brother-in-law says I know more about the team than he and my sister-in-law do...especially when I speak stats, home towns, recruiting info, etc. I rarely miss a televised game, either watching on TV or Watch ESPN. Have been to a game at Gampel...hope to make it to more (the 12+ hr round trip in winter weather is a hassle).

Reaction Score
I m originally from Lake George, NY but went to Graduate school in Boston. I live just over the border in Ma. My youngest daughter graduated in May from UCONN. I have been following UCONN Women’s B.B. since 1990. I have attended games over the years at Gampel.

Reaction Score
I be. English major.

Also my father went to UConn. Oh, and one brother and my sister. And my wife. And two brothers-in-law and a sister-in-law. And a niece and a nephew.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Graduated from UConn in 2008 with a Master of Science in Accounting.

Lived in Stamford from 2003 to 2005, and first became aware of the program in 2004 when the entire state was basking in the men's and women's double National Championship. Only really became a fan during the Breanna Stewart era, though. Kind of wish I had not lost track after moving to Boston in 2005, as I sure did miss a lot of great years of UConn WCBB.

Reaction Score
Proud UConn alum. Native Connecticut Yankee all my life. Followed UConn basketball and football since the 8th grade....through both the good and the bad years. Have been present at most of the Men’s and Women’s National Champion games and have been a longtime season ticket holder for M & W UC BB and UC Football.

Reaction Score
Yes. Went to graduate school. Ph.D. in 1982.

I saw some men's games in the Field House, before the Big East (and before Geno).

I don't remember how I stumbled across the women's team when Maya was a junior, but I got hooked right away. Too bad I didn't find them 15 years earlier.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
In reading many of these posts, I've gleaned that some of the posters are not UConn alums, but I haven't really been able to tell who is. So I thought I would ask. :) And if you do reply, how did you come to be a fan?

I graduated UConn before they even had a women's team. I used to play hoops daily in the old Field House, which Geno and CD fondly describe as the place they practiced while the track team was running around the track surrounding the court. I watched MANY men's games in the same venue, when they were members of the old Yankee Conference. Interestingly, there was a group of black students who remained seated during the national anthem, which did not bother me in the least. Kaepernick was definitely not the first!

I also attended Yale graduate school, but when people ask where I went to school I always say, "UConn," because that is where my fondest memories reside. And with 11 women's national championships and 4 men's championships, it is where the bulk of my most enjoyable fan moments have originated as well!

CLAS 1975

1962 Grad Living on Siesta Key - Sarasota, FL) Been a fan ( a little bit before Geno) Knew Dee Rowe (1969 until 1977 men's coach) Had fun seeing him again Aug., this past summer. Went to a practice 2 days before they left for Italy. Met Geno and others - Lots of Fun !

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My degrees are from Illinois State University. I love the place, and currently serve on one of the university’s alumni boards.
I am a retired professor and broadcaster/communication consultant/geek.

As to UConn, I got interested after seeing several games on TV. There is a difference between watching the Huskies and watching anyone else. Eventually, I wanted to see what it was that made the difference. I was then pretty much hooked.

Reaction Score
My grandpa (1965, economics) says he watched Yankee Conference BB in the old field house, where fans stood on the dirt floor behind the bleachers and smoked at halftime. And btw there was nada for the women athletes except shared space in the Hawley Armory. It was another era.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Not an alum.
South Bend, In. resident who loves the Huskies!!
A friend once asked me if i'd ever seen Diana Taurasi play (2002, maybe).
Eventually did. That's where it began.
Then... Maya Moore, Caroline Doty, Bria, Stef.
And then... The Gabulous One, Dr. G!
I told Gabby's dad at the Nevada game that Gabby was my favorite
player in the history of basketball (no joke)... and he hugged me. lol

It's been amazing to meet so many fellow BYers and to able to share thoughts, cheers,
and many, many, MANY victories!!

I have had experiences that I never would have imagined possible.
And it's all thanks to you, UCONN Nation!
We all know the address: The Basketball Capital of the World!

Reaction Score
Not an alum, but feel close to UConn in a few ways:

Grew up in Andover, CT only 5 or 6 miles from campus. Went to Windham High in Willimantic (1350 students in those days from ~ 20 surrounding towns)

As a 12 and 13 year olds listened on the radio as Art Quimby pulled down just about every rebound available in the Yankee Conference.

Attended Connecticut Boys State on the UConn campus for a week in the Summer of 1956.

Became a casual fan in ~2001 and strong fan in 2007 as I retired and had more free time. Hope to see my first game in person the next time a Bay Area team hosts the Huskies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Kaepernick was definitely not the first!

'74 alum. Math & Comp Sci. I watch PBS pretty regularly and somehow fell into viewing the first season televised by CPTV in 1995. The excitement of the undefeated season hooked me, and, as my knowledge of basketball grew, the beauty of the choreography kept me. It's the only sport I follow since the poor millionaires struck against the rich millionaires in '94.

History lesson. Tommy Smith and John Carlos on the podium for the 200 meters sprint at the 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games, not looking at the flag. Caused quite a ruckus.
Screenshot - 12_21_2017 , 17_59_40.png

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
No UCONN connection whatsoever, Iowa State B.S. Economics '89, Babson MBA '96

However, during my time at Babson I happened to be in downtown Hartford the night of the 1995 NC game. Totally random occurrence. Was on a date with a UCONN grad and she had us swing into this sports bar downtown; I recall it even had its own little section of bleacher seats off to one side.

Anyway, we got there and it was late in the 2nd half. I remember thinking, "...Wow! That point guard (Rizzotti) is good!" Then I remember the sight of Lobo in her braided hair running around like a crazy woman after the buzzer, arms raised high in triumph and delight.

Not a bad way to be introduced to UCONN WBB !!

1995-uconn-tenn.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm a proud alum of St. Michael's College, Winooski, VT. I got hooked on UCONN women around '91 or '92. When CPTV started showing most games, it sealed the deal.

Reaction Score
Not an alum but grew up in southern CT and still have family there. Left the state to attend the University of Pennsylvania & after graduation took a series of jobs that bounced me around the country (incl. CT) & world for 35 or so years. Eventually ended up in GA.

Became a fan when channel surfing one weekend and stumbled upon Geno, Rebecca and Co., winning their first NCAA title. Who knew! Wow, the kids from UConn - couldn't have been more proud than if I'd gone there. Big change from when I was looking at colleges 30 years prior.

Saw my first, and probably only, in-person game a couple of years ago when they came to So. Carolina. What a thrill as I had great seats and enjoyed the crowd noise deflate as it became obvious UConn was going to win.

And I've been saying "Okey Dokey" as long as I can remember!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom